IGNORED

2600 joystick repair?

Lemmi

Ok i got this nice looking controller, and on the top the circle dashes around the rubber part is white and not orange like all my others, and on the end (the part that goes into the system) theres a screw and bolt there to take it apart. ive never seen this type of controller does anyone know if this is just a generic version cause theres nothing on the inside of it with any names

model number on the bottom reads EJS019 (made in Korea)

ok the problem is it wont go to the left but all the others work nicely

i resoldered(sp?) all the wires to the board (there not the slip on connector kind) and opened the end of it to make sure all the wires were connected to the metal circles inside it, everything looked ok , then i checked to make sure the right colors were in the right spots from the 2600 FAQ's page, everything was where it should be

then i peeled back the tape on the board to get to the left button to see if it was lined up ok and that it was'nt dirty underneath

and i tested the buttons without the joystick part by useing my fingers on the board and it still wont go left

so ive run out of ideas does anyone have any extra ideas?

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: Lemmi ]

quote:

Originally posted by Lemmi:

so ive run out of ideas does anyone have any extra ideas?

There might be a "short" in the wire. Take a DMM (Digital Multimeter) or Volt Meter and do a continuity test on the wire connected to the left "button". Set the DMM on 400 Ohms for the test, my DMM has a alarm sound for this setting to make testing easier.

If your DMM probes are to large to fit into the female 9 pin socket, try using a small piece of wire in the holes and touching the probe to the wire.

Or you could get a 9 Pin male socket from Radio Shack for $1.49 and then put the probe on the "cup" pins on the back of the socket.

thanks junie i will try the DMM as soon as i find someone that has one

the controller not working isnt a big deal i have several more but, its just that this one is put together alittle better then the original controllers and the PCB has a nice clicking sound when the buttons are pushed

and the Black look with the white dashes will go nicely with the Darth Vader 2600 i got recently from Sway

quote:

Originally posted by Lemmi:

thanks junie i will try the DMM as soon as i find someone that has one

the controller not working isnt a big deal i have several more but, its just that this one is put together alittle better then the original controllers and the PCB has a nice clicking sound when the buttons are pushed

and the Black look with the white dashes will go nicely with the Darth Vader 2600 i got recently from Sway

Glad to see you got a Darth Vader finally I have been looking for one for you, but no luck, only got the one I have for myself.

As fas as the DMM I have seen some starting off at $10 plus shipping, in case you don't find anyone. After all a DMM is handy for all sorts of Repair/Checking/Creating for electronics, especially Atari

Good luck on the controller, it sounds like a nice one. I myself like the clicking noises with the buttons, the Frankenstein I built from a PC Joystick & Original Atari stick, has a nice clicking sound on the PC buttons.

If the problem isn't a "short" in the wires, it may be a bad end connector (on the end that plugs into the Atari). If all else let me know what you have tried and I'll post other possiable problems and ideas to try.

Congrats on the Darth Vader, and Good Luck on the controller repair.

• 4 weeks later...