IGNORED

Hyrule Warriors for Idiots

StanJr

Can someone explain what this game is to me? I realize that I sound like a moron, but everything I try to look up about it presupposes a familiarity with modern gaming that I just don't have. It says it's like Dynasty Warriors, but I have no idea what that is.

Is it a single player game, or is it like Four Swords where you have to have multiplayer? Is it an adventure game? A dungeon crawler? Do these distinctions even apply to modern games? For reference, the most modern games I have played are Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Skyrim, and the newest Kirby game. If it came after the PSone or wasn't on the Wii, I missed it entirely.

I'm a huge Zelda nerd and want to be interested in this game, but I have no concept of what it might be.

Dynasty Warriors is a series of games where you play as a Chinese warlord at various times thru history, some more fantastical than others, and you (and sometimes, your followers) participate in huge, capture the flag / territory type battles (sometimes; there are other missions in these games, as well) where your character fights several to sometimes dozens of other people at once. Imagine a bunch of video game cannon fodder- types all ganging up on you, but the game is set up as something where you can effectively fight ten or fifteen enemies at once. Now, transplant that into the world of Hyrule.

I have not spent a ton of time with the Wii U version of this game, but I enjoy Dynasty Warriors and it's various spin offs (Samurai Warriors, Gundam, Fist of the North Star) and imitators (I have a Kamen Rider game that bites this formula hard, but it's kinda fun because it's Kamen Rider), so I'm sure it's fun.

TL;DR: Picture a 3D beat 'em up with some elements of strategy and light RPG elements, as well.

No you play it by yourself, but you're responsible for the entire field of combat. Each field will have multiple generals/leaders and there are rules to pass/fail an entire stage. That's where the game can by your personal taste be really engaging or absolutely obtuse and infuriating because it's not really easy beyond the easy lower rated stages to figure out what to do at times and why you keep failing over and over again.

Ultimately it's a hack and slash with multiple leaders with multiple points of conflict you have to micromanage or directly control in combat. Often having to pop between different bodies to move combat along if the AI falters so you don't lose the entire effort put into it. Enough people seem to like it so they got to then using popular franchises like Fire Emblem, Gundam, Zelda and others as a mix up for the style but using the same general rules of engagement and control.

I'm kind of love/hate on the stuff. I get fed up not knowing why I fail or how, but I enjoy the combat and popping around. The last one I bothered with was the 3DS launch title from the franchise and I put a few dozen hours on it before I got annoyed at the AI. I know they've improved since but I just haven't the time. Been strongly considering that Zelda definitive on Switch though.