IGNORED

Stuck moving to the right but only on certain games.

billiam

I've got a light sixer that works great for most games, one and two players. On certain games, though, the sprite is stuck moving right. This occurs whether or not I have a controller plugged in. The issue is reproducible and only occurs when certain games are plugged in. It's always stuck moving to the right, never any other direction. Two examples of games that exhibit this issue are Pitfall and Donkey Kong.

Any ideas as to what could cause this issue on these games but not others?

I would check and see if any of the pins where the controllers go are crossed on each other. That could cause a control issue

I already told him to try that on reddit :P says they look fine, not sure if he checked the board for crossed connections. it is starting to sound to me like something is wrong with whatever chip controls the joystick input.

Thanks for the input and sorry for the delay in my response. I ended up opening the unit up and had a look at the back of the board. Not very pretty! Here's a pic:

fSpqeMm.jpg

After poking around the port with a multimeter, I discovered that two of the pins were indeed bridged. According to the handy schematic image on this very website, these two pins should not be bridged. Here's a closeup with a circle around the offending pins:

z9cTMBr.jpg

Ew. Cleaned it up a bit with some isopropyl alcohol, and used some solder wick to remove as much solder as I could until the pins were no longer bridged. I then re-soldered the pins without re-creating the bridge. Looks a lot nicer now and the problem is completely fixed.

So I suppose the moral of this story is that if those two pins are bridged, most games will work, but some games will be stuck moving to the right. I wonder what the technical reason behind that is - does Pitall handle input in its code differently than other games? Interesting!

So I suppose the moral of this story is that if those two pins are bridged, most games will work, but some games will be stuck moving to the right. I wonder what the technical reason behind that is - does Pitall handle input in its code differently than other games? Interesting!

It will not necessarily be stuck moving to the right, that would depend on which pins are shorted. Equally the function of the pins that are shorted may provide a clue as to why it only affects some games and not others.

Edited by Stephen Moss