IGNORED

The demise of a joystick?

StanJr

I bought a 2600 stick today at the thrift (a rare gem around here) but upon testing it out, I found that it has a big problem:

Occasionally when you push left, you get nothing. Then, if you let the stick return to neutral and push again, you go left. This sticking is pretty consistent (every 25 or so pushes). Can this be fixed or should the thing be buried?

Sticky Stick Stan (get yer mind out of the gutter again)

Well i used to get this problem and i would take it apart and on the board you got the buttons that the joystick hits , i would take a nail file (my moms) and stick it under the metal button and gently scrap underneath

i hope i remember this correctly maybe someone else has a better way

Also the joystick ring might be cracked and with that its dead till you get replacement parts B&C computers have replacement parts

but you could always do what i did as a kid

get something small enough to wedge in the crack of the ring and put some scotch tape on it to hold it in place --Believe it or not it worked quite good for a jerry rigged controller , also i was about 12 or 13 years old when i used to do this stuff

but whatever is wrong Keep the controller you'll never know when ya might need a piece off of it or buy the replacement parts kit

I'm going to tinker with the stuff you guys suggested, I don't really need the stick that bad, moycon hooked me up pretty good in that dept., but its always good to have extra, especially if I can return the favor that moycon did for me.

Thanks for the help.

Fix-a-stick Stan

So I cracked the thing open and I think the ring thingy is cracked, but in an odd way. The white plastic ring that is a part of the actual stick has a crack, but in a weird place. Not the ring part, but one of the plastic contacts on the ring is cracked right down the middle so that it splits when you press on it. How bad is this? Should I bury the thing or can I get replacement parts?

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to be having the same problem. The metel bubble for down is flat. However, the board inside my joystick has a layer of plastic adhered to the top over the metel bubbles. Will it damage the joystic if I remove the plastic or should I try to go through the plastic by poking a hole through the it?

I'm not sure. I don't really know of any purpose for the plastic save for protecting the board. The stick I was talking about in this thread has holes worn in the plastic over the buttons. And now, I actually think the buttons are the problem and not the cracks in the ring (though they don't help any, I'm sure)

If you can spare the stick, try taking the plastic off and let me know how it goes...

Still Stick Stuck Stan

I would take the plastic part up a bit and try to give the down button alittle more of a curve to match the other ones and if the plastic doesnt stick back down just dab some glue on the edge

i remember doing something like this way back and i think thats what i did

and if it dont go down anyway whats the harm in tinkering with it to try and get it to work, you could always just buy a new board they sell them seperate (if i remember B&C computer visions web site correctly)

quote:

Originally posted by StanJr:

I doubt super-glue will hold. Its plastic on plastic and super glue sucks at that. I think I'll order a kit off that site you linked me to, just for good measure! Thanks for the help and the link!

Try using model cement glue. The kind you find down the aisle at Wal-Mart with the model cars etc.

This stuff is made for plastic to plastic bonds

I have actually used this stuff to fix a paddle that was busted. The round knob was apprently beaten on the floor and busted the plastic below it in half. The knob could be lifted out of the paddle.

Anyway it's fixed and I recommend the stuff, it's $0.97 for a tube at Wal-Mart-- which enough to last a long time.

• 1 month later...

I believe I have loads of joystick parts.

If anyone needs spare parts. Kick me a couple bucks for shipping (or naked pics of your girlfriend) and I'll set you up.

HehHeh J/K about the naked pics...Well not really...But a couple bucks is just fine. Just email me if your looking for specific parts and I'll see what I have.