IGNORED

Alamagordo / Atari Landfill - Anything to do there?

82-T/A

Hey guys, I probably should have asked this a few weeks ago... but I live close enough to it now that I may revisit the place.

Couple of weeks ago (daughter's Spring break), I did an awesome road trip through North Texas and all around New Mexico. Loved it, saw tons of stuff. Through the drive-path, we ran through Alamagordo. I saw the city between Roswell (alien city!!!) and Las Cruces, so I was like... oh damn, is this the Atari landfill site?

Sure enough, it was. There was White Sands National Park, and a really cool zoo to go to. I didn't have enough time to really plan anything out, but I didn't see any shrine or homage to Atari (haha). I was just curious if anyone knew if there was *ANYTHING* Atari related in Alamagordo, so that... next time I go there, I can check it out?

FYI, I did bring it up to one of the zoo keepers at the Alamagordo Zoo. The old guy there said that owner of Atari (Nolan Bushnell I guess?) donated a bunch of money to the Zoo back when they secretly dumped all those games in there, but I never thought to ask him any more.

Anyway... long ramble. Any Atari stuff in Alamagordo?

Thanks!

Hahahaha!

Well, you could read a couple of Carlos Castaneda books and go on a hallucinogenic vision quest. You might meet 2600 Pac-Man!

He's distinguishable from Coin-Op Pac-Man by the single eye on his forehead. Don Juan would probably advise you to look for this.

Come to think of it, your potential vision quest experience might look a lot like this video...

• Like 1

GameStop

516 1st St Ste D, Alamogordo, NM 88310

(575) 434-0597

CLOSED NOW
Today: 10:00 am - 9:00 pm
Tomorrow: 10:00 am - 9:00 pm

Hahah, smart-ass!

Hahahaha!

Well, you could read a couple of Carlos Castaneda books and go on a hallucinogenic vision quest. You might meet 2600 Pac-Man!

He's distinguishable from Coin-Op Pac-Man by the single eye on his forehead. Don Juan would probably advise you to look for this.

Come to think of it, your potential vision quest experience might look a lot like this video...

That's hilarious, I can't believe an actual band made a music video of searching for Atari cartridges.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting to go digging or go on an adventure, but was hoping for at least a plaque or something, hahah...

Definitely a lot of cool stuff to do around there though for a weekend. White Sands National Monument (for anyone who's never been), is pretty other-worldly...

There's a few petroglyph sites around there..

Yeah, we went up to Albuquerque and went to the Petroglyph National Monument, very cool. Lots of awesome stuff around there. Definitely looking forward to going back up that way. New Mexico really has a lot of spectacular stuff.

• Like 1