IGNORED

What consoles would you like to see made as a flashback

maxdrive

To be successful it would have to emulate a very popular console with some recognition. I don't think any Atari other than the 2600 has that.

The Nintendoes are out obviously. Other than the Sega Genesis, the Intellivision, and the Colecovision, I'm not sure there's another console that was popular enough to recreate.

I'd rather see the consoles already released go though some improvement then bring in yet another console that is only mediocrely done.

Making a Vectrex plug 'n play would be a bit of a challenge!

I think the TG16 would be do-able, but it would require the cooperation of the system's current owner Konami, along with several of the Japanese companies responsible for its library (Irem, Namco, etc.). If Konami were a little more involved in the game industry these days, it would help!

• Like 1

I think a TG16/PCE Flashback would need to be marketed in terms of "Look what you were missing out on in the late 80's and early 90's". Whether that works for mass market in the various supermarkets the AtGames systems usually are found is another question. As e.g. Target recently begun to sell a handheld version of Oregon Trail, though at a price point far less than what a higher end TG16 Flashback probably would end at, suggests the market may be a little broader now than just a few years ago. Over here, several supermarkets and webshops carry not only THEC64 but also the Sinclair Vega which I find remarkable but I think the latter is due to the manufacturer dumped overstock to make it profitable to sell.

When it comes to the Intellivision, Colecovision and Atari 5200, not only are those systems less familiar in the general audience, but also had extended controllers with both sticks and buttons, complicating design though I know that the first two already have been released once in FB form. It probably is not a good idea trying to mix brands in one device, but perhaps a combined unit that can emulate both the 5200 (plus 8-bit/XEGS) and 7800 would be easier to sell than separate devices. I'm thinking in terms of that the Sega Genesis devices have a few SMS and GG games onto them, though historically there may have been a stronger bond between SMS and Genesis than there was between 5200 and 7800.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

These are all great suggestions, especially TurboGrafx. I think a dedicated Atari 800/ST would be welcome as well. Would be interesting too if we could see some new games based on major IP made for these systems. Imagine if a new Ghostbusters game were made for the Atari Flashback when the most recent sequel came out a couple years ago? Maybe it could have been done for a low licensing fee if the promotional aspect were emphasized to the studio.

Edited by AAA177

I think easy-to-use, all-purpose emulator machines would be a nice development. We have them already but not at mainstream retail. Perhaps the trend of putting SD card slots in commercial systems like the Super Retrocade will continue and get us there.

Remember, these plug and play systems are marketed at the average consumer, not retro gaming geeks like us. You need a device that would sell in large numbers to keep the per unit cost low.

Selling a generic device with an SD card slot would be a nightmare. Most people would be clueless on how to download ROMs and put them on an SD card correctly. The end result would be lots of returns - which retailers don't want. There's also the legal issue of selling a device that basically says, "use me to pirate old games".

An alternative might be a device with licensed content for multiple platforms. The various emulators would be built in. Joe Consumer could literally plug and play. Include an SD slot with simple details for the retro enthusiast. The only remaining catch is including a controller that would work with all supported platforms.

• Like 1

To be successful it would have to emulate a very popular console with some recognition. I don't think any Atari other than the 2600 has that.

The Nintendoes are out obviously. Other than the Sega Genesis, the Intellivision, and the Colecovision, I'm not sure there's another console that was popular enough to recreate.

I'd rather see the consoles already released go though some improvement then bring in yet another console that is only mediocrely done.

I would like to see mainly an Atari 8-bit computer/5200 in a 2600 case (but you could just as easily make it all Atari system emu box):

Old discussion. I think you might have been part of that discussion way back in 2007? Memory is a little fuzzy I could be wrong. But honestly this is easily solved by putting an all Atari system emu box in a 2600 looking case. Call it something like "Atari Flashback Extreme". Make it look like a Vader model. Heck, here's what I stated back in '07 about trying to get an Atari 8-bit computer flashback:

pboland, on Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:23 PM, said:

Must people recognize the 2600 (even though they don't know it was called a 2600, they just recognize the shape). When you ask people (outside of AtariAge) what video game system they first had, they will say "an Atari". To most people Atari is the VCS or 2600, but they don't know the systems name they just know it was an Atari. A lot of these people don't even know there was a system after the 2600. That got me thinking, I think the new FB3 should still be based on an 800XL but put in a 2600 vader like unit (see pic). You might think this is odd, but think about it for a minute:
1) The average consumer would recognize the 2600 shape (more sales!)
2) Atari would save mass amounts money getting it made (re-use the molds, retail box with new art & box inserts!)
3) We the atari fans would have a FB that we could mod into a full atari computer!
4) It would be way cool to have chrome buttons (OK that is a stretch, but still)
I think this might work, but then again maybe I'm thinking alittle too much about it. :cool:
post-9874-0-10129400-1523050876.jpg

I think the more or less hacker friendly multi system devices already exist or are about to exist. It is just you'd have to buy it through mail order or part of a crowdfunding campaign, not a device you can buy from the shelf of a random warehouse. Once you go as deep as an eco system that allows you to roll your own games, even if limited to a game maker, you are way ahead of the average consumer, their desires and intentions. I'm not saying it is a bad idea, just that is as less mass market as Band in a Box (which is a very real product) ever has been. You don't see that in every home, though you might see Guitar Hero or Singstar, just a very rough comparison of products.

Old discussion. I think you might have been part of that discussion way back in 2007? Memory is a little fuzzy I could be wrong. But honestly this is easily solved by putting an all Atari system emu box in a 2600 looking case. Call it something like "Atari Flashback Extreme". Make it look like a Vader model. Heck, here's what I stated back in '07 about trying to get an Atari 8-bit computer flashback:

pboland, on Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:23 PM, said:

Must people recognize the 2600 (even though they don't know it was called a 2600, they just recognize the shape). When you ask people (outside of AtariAge) what video game system they first had, they will say "an Atari". To most people Atari is the VCS or 2600, but they don't know the systems name they just know it was an Atari.

Or as my grumpy old Troglodyte step-father always called it --the "Shatari". :woozy:

Perhaps Target will aim either of them in their next series of handheld games with dumbed down controls? :)

Target?

Oh, like the Target-exclusive Oregon Trail handheld? Sheesh, I hope not.

Though I would be all over a dedicated X-wing/TIE Fighter handheld if it were handled well, with custom controls and a cool case.

This comment from emulation.gametechwiki.com does not bode well for even the possibility of a Coleco Telstar Arcade flashback (or emulator), although I'm sure it could all be made from scratch without much investment. I wonder if you could do HDMI gun games with a dolphin-bar type accessory; Probably not economically. :

"Only 4 cartridges were released for this triangular abomination, but the console's design means that they can't be dumped and "emulated." They're more like activation discs for data already in the console. No known emulators."

"Abomination" seems a bit harsh. I always thought there was something cool, elaborate and transportive (psychologically) about it, even if I'd probably wouldn't spend a lot of time entertained by 1970-style gameplay.

This comment from emulation.gametechwiki.com does not bode well for even the possibility of a Coleco Telstar Arcade flashback (or emulator), although I'm sure it could all be made from scratch without much investment:

"Only 4 cartridges were released for this triangular abomination, but the console's design means that they can't be dumped and "emulated." They're more like activation discs for data already in the console. No known emulators."

"Abomination" seems a bit harsh. I always thought there was something cool, elaborate and transportive (psychologically) about it, even if I'd probably wouldn't spend a lot of time entertained by 1970-style gameplay.

Up until recently, I had a few Telstar Arcades. The multi-function control panel and add-ons were undeniably neat, but it's also undeniable that it's little more sophisticated than your typical all-in-one color Pong system. There's really little redeeming about any of the games, making it one of only a handful of systems I'd say to absolutely pass on unless you're a collector of interesting historical novelties.

For comparison, other consoles I'd say should be a hard pass for the vast majority of people except under particular circumstances/desire includes the RCA Studio II and APF M/MP1000. The former doesn't do much and has oddball controls, and the latter has only one game worth bothering with, Space Destroyers (a solid Space Invaders clone, but nothing more), which is naturally one of the harder games to acquire for a reasonable price.

On the topic of this thread, I'd be happy to pass on any really good suggestions directly to the powers-that-be at AtGames, who are always eager to listen to new ideas (and you'll see a lot of cool stuff from us later this year - hopefully the announcements for most of it will happen before E3). The caveat is you have to think from a reasonably large number of available licenseable games (and the bigger the names, the better) and work your way back from there to the actual platform or platforms.

We're also looking into the DIY/edu-kit space, so if you have any suggestions around that, again, I'd be happy to pass any of the solid ideas on.

• Like 2