IGNORED

What consoles would you like to see made as a flashback

maxdrive

I know it would not come off well to honor the original to enough purists, but given the smaller library and also the decent homebrew choices too I would think a Vectrex Flashback would be nice. After all, there is that iphone app that has all the public releases possible along with homebrew already on it you can download so it has precedent set for value and existence on the market.

I know it would not come off well to honor the original to enough purists, but given the smaller library and also the decent homebrew choices too I would think a Vectrex Flashback would be nice. After all, there is that iphone app that has all the public releases possible along with homebrew already on it you can download so it has precedent set for value and existence on the market.

Without an equivalent screen, I just don't see the point. It's also probably too niche. With that said, I'd love it if someone did one, even in a small run.

I'd love to see Tengen Tetris re-released, but I doubt the Tetris company would let it happen; they have a list of standards I doubt Tengen's version would meet.

I could also go for a Taito system, if it had Puzzle Bobble. Shoot, I might buy a single-game system if that game was Puzzle Bobble. Everyone has their weakness I guess. :)

Here is a list of potential flashbacks that I think would have (some) consumer viability. They are:

1) Vic-20

2) Sega Master System

3) Turbo Grafx-16

4) Sega Game Gear

5) Neo Geo

These are in no particular order, but I definitely think one or two of these could be a smashing success if they saw the light of day.

• Like 1

I think of those, the obvious successes for various reasons would be an Apple II and Neo Geo one. I'm not so sure about any of the others, at least for the US market.

I would agree. An Apple II and/or a Neo Geo retro console would be a hit. The others not so much, but considering retro items are getting very hot and mainstream, you never know.

Hmm I'm going to humbly disagree there on one system Bill, the Sega. Your company in the past has off and on again re-offered up on the market a handheld SMS/GG emulator device that unlike until the HD box, accurately portrayed the audio, visuals, and play mechanics of the SMS+Game Gear. Given it had a notable size of the market against the Game Boy for a time and with the various portable direct ports or other offerings from main franchises there's a lot of excellent stuff there of name to exploit.

I still have that awesome handheld and it's worth it completely: https://segaretro.org/Arcade_Gamer_Portable

I do agree that the Neo Geo would be huge given the overall total success of the ACA Hamster releases, and all the idiots thinking the hotmess of sorts Neo Geo X paying $500 for those packages now on the after market, the money and interest is there. I can't speak to Apple ][e but I'd wonder if that would be a bit more challenging. TG16 though, I can't see that doing well as the under 100 hucard releases in the US many of them blew, fewer people would remember them, and those of note some of them would have to get license approval adding more layers of bs. Yet, if it would include PC Engine stuff, then you'd have something, but then you're into the language and unknown value barriers making it a clear loser for the flashback offerings.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 2

I do agree that the Neo Geo would be huge given the overall total success of the ACA Hamster releases, and all the idiots thinking the hotmess of sorts Neo Geo X paying $500 for those packages now on the after market, the money and interest is there.

Clearly there's some money there, but that community strikes me as a bunch of rich whales. Are there enough of them to sustain a hardware release? To be worth it, a product would need to be "nice" in fit and finish, which is hard to do on the cheap.

I do agree there are a dumb pile of rich whales with more cash than brains with the NGX, no doubt. But reading around you can find a lot of comments by those not jaded by it, and jaded too with similar comments. One side would pay the original price, the other wouldn't touch it unless it was properly emulated right on handheld and docked mode, and then it would have been worth that price (I think it was a $120 handheld, $150 or so gold edition with dock/hdmi cable +1 free added game.)

Given the Hamster games are like what $6 a pop, it wouldn't be too hard to imagine a closed up box, NES or SNES CE game roster in size or more, in that premium-ish price range of around $100 for a NON-handheld HDMI device for the TV, especially if it had SD card potential to it too.

On the idea of the neo geo a portable flashback of the pocket color would be so cool if you can put in the micro switch thumb stick of the original. For the neo geo aes one it would need better functionality and price point of the neo geo x but I think it still needs the four button joystick or what made games like samari showdown and Metal slug so playable

Edited by maxdrive

NGPC is not a totally terrible idea, but I question how practical. The library isn't huge which works great since most those closed handhelds end up with like 30-40 games in them anyway. The problem would be potential licensing on a few solid games. I don't think Sega or Namco would hang up the likes of Sonic or Pac-Man, but I don't recall exactly who pulls the strings on a few of the others like Faselei, Cotton, Evolution, and I'd question if Capcom would be turds over Rockman. If you just outright exclude the unique Japanese market which thankfully is mostly terrible gambling games, there's some serious potential there but very niche potential compared to something out of the hands of Nintendo, Sega, or even NEC really.

NGPC is not a totally terrible idea, but I question how practical. The library isn't huge which works great since most those closed handhelds end up with like 30-40 games in them anyway. The problem would be potential licensing on a few solid games. I don't think Sega or Namco would hang up the likes of Sonic or Pac-Man, but I don't recall exactly who pulls the strings on a few of the others like Faselei, Cotton, Evolution, and I'd question if Capcom would be turds over Rockman. If you just outright exclude the unique Japanese market which thankfully is mostly terrible gambling games, there's some serious potential there but very niche potential compared to something out of the hands of Nintendo, Sega, or even NEC really.

Still it had some games PAC man is on every thing even the last flashback Atari portable had it I think the rock man game be ok since other systema got it plus great advertisement to get games that were japan or ero only

Never said it didn't. I've got the system and almost 20 carts for it along with that NGPC SD Kit too. Between this one and the one I had back when NGPC was for sale I've had more then 20 and Rockman Battle & FIghters is on there (kind of a combo of the 2 capcom fighting arcade games), and I had Cotton too but otherwise it was mostly US titles, many of them the arcade spinoffs and also biomotor unitron. It is a solid device, easily could stuff 20-30 games on it for good variety. I just am not sure there's enough of a market but I'd guess it's possible if that neo geo mvs mini system sells well.

NGPC is not a great idea in my opinion. It was not a big hit in the US when it was new and plays mostly cut-down versions of otherwise fairly well-known games. There's no advantage to releasing something like that as a handheld (or otherwise). SNK has a huge library of "full" arcade games to choose from and exploit. They really don't need to try and sell dated handheld versions. The "real" arcade stuff holds up much better today and it's not like there's any technical reason they can't be properly emulated in any form.

I can't imagine much benefit to releasing anything mainstream based solely around classic handhelds other than perhaps Game Boy series stuff, where the novelty and strong IP library would obviously help it to succeed, particularly if in a nostalgic shell.

^^ what he said

I feel like NGPC got its "rerelease" chance when it was being sold with big bundles of games. This was probably around 2001 or so, when GBA was just starting out. Anyone else take advantage of those deals?

And shouldn't the Hyperkin and similar GameBoy clones be out by now?

• Like 1

I feel like NGPC got its "rerelease" chance when it was being sold with big bundles of games. This was probably around 2001 or so, when GBA was just starting out. Anyone else take advantage of those deals?

I don't recall when I got mine, but it might have been around then (I no longer have it). It has one of the great d-pads in my opinion. I've been recommending to AtGames to try this style of d-pad on their portables for a few years now. Maybe one day.

Neo Geo pocket color's "dpad" feels like a rocking analog switch, but clicks in each position. I don't like clicky controllers, but I do see how this is satisfying to touch. If only it could be swapped out for a softer touch for people who want both?

People who want both are wrong!

• Like 1

People who want both are wrong!

Your mother was a hamster, and your grandfather smelled of elderberries!

But what's wrong with modular controls? Other than complexity to manufacture, moving parts to break, and general fussiness, of course.

Once the Sega Genesis portable gets straightened out (and I do believe that will happen, hopefully next year since this year seem to be off the table), I'd love a super deluxe version of it with really nice build quality like an Nvidia Shield handheld or better. I would pay extra for quality.