IGNORED

Las Vegas Slot Machine

So I'm trying to make a slot machine game for the Intellivision. The slot machine reels display should go behind the slot machine if I put behind in like this, right?

SPRITE 0,46+VISIBLE,s1y+ZOOMY2,SPR25+BEHIND+SPR_RED

SO WHY ISN'T IT?!

This thing is making me so angry. It seems like I can't do ANYTHING any more without asking for help. It makes feel like I'm STUPID. Any help would be appreciated.

slotmachine.zip

Edited by atari2600land

Worked on this a little more, but now I'm going to sleep. Apparently, you can do this:

for a=0 to 4

sy(a)=sy(a)+1

if sy(a)>48 then sy(a)=24 : sframe(a)=sframe(a)+1

if sframe(a)=4 then sframe(a)=1

if sframe(a)=1 then SPRITE a,sx(a)+VISIBLE,sy(a)+ZOOMY2,SPR25+BEHIND+2

if sframe(a)=2 then SPRITE a,sx(a)+VISIBLE,sy(a)+ZOOMY2,SPR26+BEHIND+6

if sframe(a)=3 then SPRITE a,sx(a)+VISIBLE,sy(a)+ZOOMY2,SPR27+BEHIND+$1003

next a

post-9475-0-94073200-1522742793.gif

• Like 2

OK. I got the "engine" completed mostly. You press the upper fire button to make the reels go around. If you get three (or more) icons in a row, you win. The amount won depends on how many icons in a row you get. But since it's a little too easy to win right now, I need to put more icons in.

Some feedback would be nice.

Also, stuff to do:

+ Add title screen.

+ Add sfx.

slotmachine.rom

(continued from the thread in the main Intellivision forum)

How does a real slot machine work regarding cashing out winnings? I understand that the simpler ones just dump coins in your lap. Perhaps the $1100 on screen represents what is in your wallet, not your credit already loaded into the machine?

By the way, a programming detail you might want to look into already from the beginning to save yourself from strange bugs later on: When you GOSUB into a procedure, avoid to GOTO back into the main program. I've learned it is fine to END the procedure with an explicit RETURN, just that with the GOTO, the program won't reach END which could lead to a stack overflow or something after a while.

Currently this only happens once in your code, in checkfornokeys which has a GOTO new_spin in the main program. Actually that procedure currently is only used once. If you find that you don't have use of it multiple times, you can as well inline the code. As you know, IntyBASIC supports multiple line IF ... THEN ... END IF constructions so no need to GOSUB to a subroutine just because you're in the middle of an IF - THEN statement.

Here's some feedback:

• The machine needs more detail. Even just a bit of rounded corners would go a long way to give it some polish. Do not be afraid of using GRAM.
  • The spinning wheel thingies spin too slow. On a real "one-arm bandit," I can barely make the symbols out while they are spinning. Not that I play the slots... |:) :ponder:
  • Needs some sound effects: At least make it "buzz" when I lose and "ding!" when I win. :) (Also a "click" when the symbols fall in place.)
  • The arm thingy could be animated more smoothly.
  • You may want to align the machine to the right, and put a legend with the winning combinations on the left side. Otherwise, it's just a complete mystery to me, and I'm just pulling the arm randomly.
  • The dollar amount "flickers" when the arm goes back up after pulling it. You may want to review your "re-drawing" routine.
  • You should start spinning the thingies when the lever is pulled -- not when it is released. That's how it works on the real ones.

-dZ.

If this is intended to eventually be put on a cart, it would be great if it was more in line with games like Vegas Dream for the NES. That had entertainment aspects beyond the actual gambling, but also had multiple types of games. Perhaps Video Poker, Video Keno and other types of slot machines (various bet lines, various numbers of reels, video slots, etc.). Maybe one cart for various slot machine types + Video Keno and another cart for various card games including Video Poker and Texas Hold 'Em. Save/load passcode would make sense as well.

Troy

Here's some feedback:

• The machine needs more detail. Even just a bit of rounded corners would go a long way to give it some polish. Do not be afraid of using GRAM.
  • The spinning wheel thingies spin too slow. On a real "one-arm bandit," I can barely make the symbols out while they are spinning. Not that I play the slots... | :) :ponder:
  • Needs some sound effects: At least make it "buzz" when I lose and "ding!" when I win. :) (Also a "click" when the symbols fall in place.)
  • The arm thingy could be animated more smoothly.
  • You may want to align the machine to the right, and put a legend with the winning combinations on the left side. Otherwise, it's just a complete mystery to me, and I'm just pulling the arm randomly.
  • The dollar amount "flickers" when the arm goes back up after pulling it. You may want to review your "re-drawing" routine.
  • You should start spinning the thingies when the lever is pulled -- not when it is released. That's how it works on the real ones.

-dZ.

I've addressed some of those issues in the later version, which you can find here:

slotmachineintv20180407.zip

I've addressed some of those issues in the later version, which you can find here:

LOL! I like the title screen. I would recommend you use MOBs to give the "Las Vegas" logo an outline; yellow would be a good colour. Right now, the red "bleeds" into the green.

As for the rest:

• When I said "detail" I meant to the contour of the machine, which looked too boxy.
  • The colours make it look better, but it is still too boxy.
  • The word "Slots" is hard to read, and the "s" is disproportionately small.
  • The spinning thingies (and thus, the sound effect) spin too slowly. I think this is one of the most important things to get right in order to get the "feel" of a slot machine.

There are a lot of graphic stuff (are these MOBs?) to make up the words "Slot Machine" on the title screen. Perhaps I should change it so the INTV font could make those words?

MODE 1    
    WAIT
    DEFINE 0,16,title_screen_bitmaps_0
    WAIT
    DEFINE 16,16,title_screen_bitmaps_1
    WAIT
    DEFINE 32,16,title_screen_bitmaps_2
    WAIT
    DEFINE 48,7,title_screen_bitmaps_3
    WAIT
    DEFINE 63,1,copyrightsymbol
    SCREEN title_screen_cards
    wait

Anyway, I did most of the other changes you suggested.

slotmachine20180408.zip

There are a lot of graphic stuff (are these MOBs?) to make up the words "Slot Machine" on the title screen. Perhaps I should change it so the INTV font could make those words?

MODE 1    
    WAIT
    DEFINE 0,16,title_screen_bitmaps_0
    WAIT
    DEFINE 16,16,title_screen_bitmaps_1
    WAIT
    DEFINE 32,16,title_screen_bitmaps_2
    WAIT
    DEFINE 48,7,title_screen_bitmaps_3
    WAIT
    DEFINE 63,1,copyrightsymbol
    SCREEN title_screen_cards
    wait

MOBs are sprites, there are eight of those. You probably would know about it if you were using them. I suggested using them to overlay additional colour to the logo, like in the "Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack" box, where the logo is red with a yellow outline. Otherwise, the yellow on green logo is hard to read due to the way red and green interact visually.

-dZ.

Anyway, I did most of the other changes you suggested.

I see that the speed is faster now, looks nice. I also like the little jingles when I win (yay!) or lose (boo!).

You still need to trigger the animation when the arm goes down, as opposed to release. In a real one-arm-bandit machine, it starts spinning as soon as the arm completes the full downward motion -- even if I haven't released it yet.

You could also add a bit more details to the machine. Here's a very crappy example of what I mean. Notice that I added some lines (in the blue part) and edges (in the green part). Otherwise it looks precisely like you made it with large blocks.

post-27318-0-76635800-1523217931.gif

* Note that those are not Intellivision graphics, that was just added quickly and dirtily in a dimple image program. However, things like that can be done with creative use of the GROM cards, or with GRAM. You have 64 cards in GRAM, how many are you using?

-dZ.

• 3 weeks later...

Any updates on this? It still feels like the last couple of spinners are taking too long to stop.

maybe options for 3, 4 or 5 spinners? a lot of classic slot machines only have 3.

Maybe in the empty space on one side or the other you could show the scoring?

Ie 3 lemons is $10,

3 7s is $15, or whatever the payouts actually are.