IGNORED

Ivory Tower Collections - Tech, Game and More Videos!

ITC# 80 was actually released over the weekend and is a departure from my usual content in that I go back to showcasing another Roland sound module like device that was added recently to the collection. In ITC# 80 I go through a basic overview of the Roland MT-300 which, as you might guess, is a successor to the MT-200 I'd featured previously on my channel. At first I wasn't going to do a video on the MT-300 because of how similar it is to the MT-200 in operation. But then decided that it had enough differences to warrant talking about it and to mainly feature some MIDI songs played through the module.

In many ways it sounds quite similar to the MT-200 and other SC-55 like devices from the early to mid 90s. But some of the instrumentation is different and it features a slightly better quality instrument sound bank with the exception of some of the sound effects. Hope you find it fun and if nothing else, gives you something interesting to listen to for a bit.

• 4 weeks later...

ITC#81 was not planned by any means as is evident by the less than stellar camera and audio work in this one. But, an oppurtunity came up where I thought it would make for a good quick tech video and so in this one, I go through the troubleshooting steps for yet another Atari 5200 controller issue that was not the fault of the controller, but once again one of the pesky MUX controller chips. Hopefully this proves helpful for others if they should encounter a similar issue with their Atari 5200 and controllers.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I can't recall a time when there were so many RGB options available for a single console. But here in 2022 AtariAge's own @the_crayon_king has now his 3rd major revision of his Intellivision RGB solution. This latest version of his is quite impressive. It not only provides great RGB output that has thus far proven compatible with all the popular video scaling devices out there, but offers two color palette options, and because he could and did... His latest board also offers composite and s-video outputs as well. This makes it a very versatile RGB board and great for use with multiple displays while playing.

ITC#82 goes through the process I've been doing when installing Crayon's latest version RGB board known as the 'Orange Peel'. While I go through pretty much the entire process, not all connections being soldered up are shown as I figure if you see me solder 2 wires, then you know what the rest of them looked like. I do provide overlay graphics of the wiring and connections used. This video was done using a 9-pin mini din for Sega RGB cable use, but I do have a link for a PDF installation guide that has diagrams for both 8-pin and 9-pin mini din plus the composite and s-video. So far YouTube only has up to 1080p ready to view but there should be a 4k version in the next day or so once YouTube has finished the conversion. Thank you for watching and I hope you find it useful in your Intellivision console upgrades.

INTV_OP_RGB_Install_Guide_Model1.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Intellivision model II console is a modern, smaller, and sleeker design over the original model 2609 console. It even features removable controllers that plug in using a standard 9-pin connector like on Atari and Commodore systems. However, the controllers on the model II variant aren't considered to be the most comfortable controllers to hold and worse is that when they start to fail, there aren't currently any new replacement parts available to try and repair them.

Until now, the only options were to replace faulty controllers with working ones from another model II console or to use a set of the controllers from the Sears Intellivision console that also featured removable controllers. However, these aren't the best options since they essentially are taking the controllers from a console that has to be in non-working condition to begin with.

ITC#83 goes over a nice potential solution to this problem by instead using controllers that came with the Intellivision Flasback consoles released several years back. The issue with this, is that the Flashback controllers out of the box are not wired to be pin compatible with the original Intellivision model 2 or Sears systems. So in this video, I go through the process of re-wiring an Intellivision Flashback controller for use with the original consoles. Keep in mind this is a project only for those that have a spare set of Flashback Controllers or don't plan to use their Flashback console since the modification is semi-permanent and can only be undone by again de-soldering and re-wiring the controller for Flashback use.

• 2 months later...

ITC#84 was released this morning and focuses once again on the Intellivision II console. This time I go through the process I use for installing one of @the_crayon_king's latest RGB board, known as the Orange Peel, into the Intellivision II console. As has been stated before, CK's newest board is really impressive providing excellent RGB output that is compatible with all current known scaling/line doubler devices in addition to great composite and s-video output as well should that be wanted. In this video I detail the steps I use to re-purpose the channel select switch to be the palette switch made possibly by the removal of the RF modulator. Additionally, the RF removed allows for a nice place to install the PCB mount 9 and 8-pin mini din jacks I have on hand allowing for a no cut RGB upgrade on the model 2 Intellivision.

A printable PDF guide is linked in the video description to help bring some clarity to the install process in the model 2 Intellivision console. I've also attached it to this post. Thanks for watching and enjoy!

INTV2_OP_RGB_Install_Guide.pdf

Edited by -^CrossBow^-
added PDF guide to post

• 6 months later...

It has been over 6 months and we are now into a new year. But I released ITC#85 this morning as the first video for the new year and hopefully for more videos on the way in the future. In this video I go over the BackBit Pro multi-system cartridge designed, created, and sold by Evie Salomon (Sp?) in her BackBit.io store. As the name implies it is an SD flash cartridge designed to be used with multiple game consoles and computers. With over 20 different systems now supported by the BackBit Pro and other features it offers, I thought it would be good to shine some light on this wonderful accessory. Atari 5200 support and adapters were released a little over a month ago, and just today Evie has announced support and even pre-orders for the new 7800 adapter including POKEY audio emulation. I go into details about the cart from what I know of it and demonstrate its use with the Intellivision and Atari 5200 adapters. Thanks again for watching and happy New Year everyone!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

When it comes to the Colecovision console, there really hasn't been that many different controller options that were available and some of the more recent ones that do exist are either quite expensive or only a couple buttons which limits the controllers ability and would require having to use a standard controller to start you game and then swap out back to a new one to play. This is actually quite bad for the controller logic IC chips as they are susceptible to ESD damage that can be caused by plugging controllers in the console while powered on. 
ITC#86 will show you a new controller option from Jimmy over at Ruggers Customs that uses the Sega 6 button controller common to the Genesis/Megadrive model 2 that has quite a few of the most needed keypad buttons mapped to the controller. As it uses an already great controller design and mixes it with a new PCB designed to work with the Colecovision, the Rugger Pad might just be the affordable controller you have been looking for when playing Colecovision games.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...