IGNORED

Sword Of Solaria - Final Fantasy style JRPG 7800 graphics/music mockup

Fragmare

Here's a little fun I had with the folks over in the 8-bit computer forums on April 1st, it's a 7800 graphics + POKEY music mockup of basically any JRPG ever. I had already started an original tune inspired by AtariusMaximus's Legend of Silverpeak, and decided to expand upon it and see what it looked like with 7800 graphics synched up to it. This was the result. :P

• Like 9

Thanks guys! Would you guys like if I uploaded all the assets I used to make this? I don't personally have any programming skills, but if somebody wanted to use the graphics/music to make a demo playable on real hardware, they're more than welcome to!

Edited by Fragmare

Thanks guys! Would you guys like if I uploaded all the assets I used to make this? I don't personally have any programming skills, but if somebody wanted to use the graphics/music to make a demo playable on real hardware, they're more than welcome to!

Sure!.. there is always the possibility that is done with the assets available x)

Anyway, in my case it will end in the A8 instead of the 7800, but if you don't mind..

• Like 1

Here are the assets for the mockup. The gradient would not actually be a stored graphic, but rather a raster effect where background color entry #0 is changed every so many scanlines. This could be tweaked for less (or more) scanline changes, depending on CPU time needs. The title logo and prologue text would be the only bg "tiles". the sun and hero silhouettes would both be sprites. Everything is in 160p, 4-color mode and using the A78 palette used by A7800 emulator.

post-55448-0-64829500-1523252645.gif

SwordOfSolaria_Assets01a.zip

Edited by Fragmare
  • Like 3

Here are the assets for the mockup. The gradient would not actually be a stored graphic, but rather a raster effect where background color entry #0 is changed every so many scanlines. This could be tweaked for less (or more) scanline changes, depending on CPU time needs. The title logo and prologue text would be the only bg "tiles". the sun and hero silhouettes would both be sprites. Everything is in 160p, 4-color mode and using the A78 palette used by A7800 emulator.

Hey Fragmare!

Go figure.. less than a week later, someone found a port of the Solaria's intro for the A8 computers, and with source included x)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/277766-solarias-code/

I'm just leaving this here.. maybe something can be useful to 7800 programmers.. (difficult, but you never know :))

Regards.

• Like 2

Hey Fragmare!

Go figure.. less than a week later, someone found a port of the Solaria's intro for the A8 computers, and with source included x)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/277766-solarias-code/

I'm just leaving this here.. maybe something can be useful to 7800 programmers.. (difficult, but you never know :))

Regards.

Awesome! That's great! Now for the overworld demo lol... :P

Awesome! That's great! Now for the overworld demo lol... :P

Haha.. I was afraid you would say something like that.

Hope you don't mind the small changes, most of them were forced by the hardware limits :)

The heroes lost some weight..

The one thing that I miss the most, are the subtle color changes for the background, thanks to the 7800 being able to use its 256 color palette there..

I did what I can to not miss any detail, but in a couple of lines I had to "dither" some dark orange zones.