IGNORED

Galaga Monitor... what are my options?

82-T/A

Hey guys! Thank you in advance for any advice you give (or don't, haha).

I've got a really nice Galaga stand-up... the cabinet was rebuilt / restored by Chattanooga Pinball. I moved all of my internals into that cabinet, and everything worked great for a year and a half. I recently completed a move, and the monitor has completely died.

As it was dying, it was taking longer to start up, and in most cases, the colors looked faded. Additionally, there seems to be a lot of burn-in onto the tube monitor, so I'm averse to simple doing a capacitor replacement.

What are my options for replacement? I'd rather keep a tube monitor if I can, but if an LED monitor is the idea replacement, I'd go that route. Anyone know if there is a "kit?"

Thanks!!!
  • Like 1

Hey guys! Thank you in advance for any advice you give (or don't, haha).
I've got a really nice Galaga stand-up... the cabinet was rebuilt / restored by Chattanooga Pinball. I moved all of my internals into that cabinet, and everything worked great for a year and a half. I recently completed a move, and the monitor has completely died.
As it was dying, it was taking longer to start up, and in most cases, the colors looked faded. Additionally, there seems to be a lot of burn-in onto the tube monitor, so I'm averse to simple doing a capacitor replacement.
What are my options for replacement? I'd rather keep a tube monitor if I can, but if an LED monitor is the idea replacement, I'd go that route. Anyone know if there is a "kit?"
Thanks!!!

the best option would be to find a replacement or rebuild your original cga monitor

the cheap and easy option is to swap it out with a lcd screen

if you do convert just make certain you use a correct lcd 4:3 screen and not a 16:9 screen the wide screen will look like crap and stretch the picture

best option for a lcd replacement would be one of these since its native cga

https://na.suzohapp.com/products/accessories/49-3223-01

the cheap route would be

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-19-LCD-Flat-Screen-VGA-Monitor-L1910-1280x1024-Grade-B/232720801674?epid=80077696&hash=item362f3d9f8a:g:cxEAAOSwQUhats6C

and one of these

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gonbes-GBS8200-CGA-EGA-YUV-RGB-To-VGA-Arcade-Game-Video-Converter-Latest-aga/221649408037?epid=1348457668&hash=item339b559025:g:RDEAAOSwMmBVg3Vb

but mileage wil vary on the picture quality the cga-vga boards are spotty on the quality

• Like 1

Okay if it was working and then started to die as you describe, it could very well be a bad flyback on the chassis board. Do you still have a neck glow when you power it one? That would at least verify that the heaters in the tube are working. But the flyback being such a heavy and large component on the chassis, can easily crack a solder join or trace near a solder joint when moving arcade cabs around.

Obviously you need to be careful and either find someone to look at this if you aren't comfortable with discharging a CRT tube yourself or look up some videos on other arcade repair channels on YouTube before attempting it yourself.

1. Promise to never again do business with Chattanooga Pinball

Seconded. And all of the repair advice above is sound.

One thing to consider: if you toss the CRT, you're tossing a good chunk of what makes the game the game. Unless the burn-in is really awful, I'd say keep it.