IGNORED

AtGames 2018 speculation thread

I've seen some articles quoting the Sega COO saying that they release classic consoles like Nintendo has done with the NES and SNES. I wonder if he is referring to improved versions of the AtGames stuff or another product? http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2018/04/08-1/sega-president-teases-a-return-to-hardware-game-consoles

Edited by bmadgames

I've seen some articles quoting the Sega COO saying that they release classic consoles like Nintendo has done with the NES and SNES. I wonder if he is referring to improved versions of the AtGames stuff or another product? http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2018/04/08-1/sega-president-teases-a-return-to-hardware-game-consoles

Expect an announcement on the 14th or 15th. It only affects the Japanese market.

I am very sad to hear that there will no Intellivision Flashback 2 this year, I was really hoping that licensing issues would be solved and we'd see Burgertime and some TRON titles. Does anyone know if this is because of the passing of Keith Robinson, and confusion with the fate of Intellivision Productions? I really hope that Intellivision Productions will go on, and that eventually, a Flashback 2 will materialize.

• Like 2

I am very sad to hear that there will no Intellivision Flashback 2 this year, I was really hoping that licensing issues would be solved and we'd see Burgertime and some TRON titles. Does anyone know if this is because of the passing of Keith Robinson, and confusion with the fate of Intellivision Productions? I really hope that Intellivision Productions will go on, and that eventually, a Flashback 2 will materialize.

Without revealing too much before any actual announcements, there are no licensing issues, so you'll definitely see new titles/IP this year. Unfortunately, when it comes to games like TRON, which have secondary (or more) licenses, they're often cost prohibitive to acquire, particularly when they're part of a larger group rather than the star attraction. Of course some licenses even with additional restrictions are easier to acquire than others, but anything Disney is definitely going to be a big challenge.

Unless something has changed that I'm not aware of for some reason, the relationship between AtGames and Intellivision Productions is the same as always and there's mutual interest in another Intellivision product of some type. It's not happening this year because there are tons of SKUs in the pipeline, including some new product types. It doesn't preclude something happening in 2019 or beyond.

• Like 5

There will be a redesign, which is a bit more authentic.

How much of an improvement is the 2018 model going to be over the 2017? I'm really hoping with the more official branding (not that it wasn't official before) that the broader market may adopt the Genesis flashback in a way similar to the Nintendo classic consoles. Seems like there is a lot of hate for AtGames right now, which is somewhat unjustified as the 2017 model was a big improvement and, of course, there were the issues with the review units that went uncorrected in many places.

P.S. Hopefully the "extra" games with finally be gone for good.

Edited by bmadgames

How much of an improvement is the 2018 model going to be over the 2017? I'm really hoping with the more official branding (not that it wasn't official before) that the broader market may adopt the Genesis flashback in a way similar to the Nintendo classic consoles. Seems like there is a lot of hate for AtGames right now, which is somewhat unjustified as the 2017 model was a big improvement and, of course, there were the issues with the review units that went uncorrected in many places.

P.S. Hopefully the "extra" games with finally be gone for good.

There's going to be a different, proven emulator as the foundation, and the bonus games will no longer be on-board.

• Like 6

I'm excited about this Mega Drive Mini! Very impressed with the improvements AtGames has been making. I have a lot of questions, but understand if you're not able to answer them yet. Will other, officially licensed Mega Drive/Genesis games be downloadable? The unit shown on stage looked quite small - will the cartridge slot be functional? And if so, will a device such as an Everdrive work? Will there be an SD card slot?

I am definitely looking forward to the new products. Also looking forward to what 2019 will bring as I have contemplated getting a Genesis portable, but may hold off until then as I am looking forward to its upgrade as well as a potential new Intellivision FB.

I'd like to know where it's going, its interesting to me.

Not a huge fan of atgames when it comes to the Genesis, but I'm turning on that as the 2017 left a good footprint of a better direction long overdue. I'm actually getting mad seeing these childish and quite asinine and unfounded attacks on the system once ATGames was noted as the hands behind it. It always seems to be combined in that sentence or the next about how the games have awful sound and other bugs. No moron, it's not based on the 2016 and back SD firecore atrocities. Sure people could start spamming that retort around, but I doubt most would even care to bother as it's more fun to gang up and be a me-too troll for sport.

I don't have much room left for a console on my given TV and I loathe swapping out systems, so I probably still would avoid this release but it would come down to what is on board in the finalized system especially given it now yet again has another better proven name core going for it. I'd just like to know more, and if this one could chomp down on an everdrive or not too. Otherwise 2019 I guess for the handheld which is more my speed these days anyway.

The Sega SD and handheld use the same emulation as always. This was supposed to be the year that the switch happened, but it looks like it will instead be next year for various reasons. The Sega SD and handheld for 2018 do benefit from several nifty feature updates, but the sound issue remains sadly.

I really don't understand this. It's been what, over a decade with the same sound issue and the reason for the issue has been known for several years... The other mystery feature updates may be interesting, but there really seems to be no excuse for the sound emulation issue to still be there after all this time. I'm afraid without that being fixed, I'm going to have to pass on the next Sega Portable no matter what other new features there may be.

There's going to be a different, proven emulator as the foundation, and the bonus games will no longer be on-board.

This sounds very promising. I can't wait to see how the next HD Sega and Atari Flashbacks perform.

• Like 2

I really liked the Bittboy, although my review unit had some dead pixels.

From what I've seen, it appears the BitBoy is based off the typical Famiclone/NOAC technology. Do you, (or anyone else) know for sure? I was wondering what were the advantages of the BitBoy over the many other NES X-in-1 portables littered all over sites like AliExpress.