IGNORED

AtGames 2018 speculation thread

From what I've seen, it appears the BitBoy is based off the typical Famiclone/NOAC technology. Do you, (or anyone else) know for sure? I was wondering what were the advantages of the BitBoy over the many other NES X-in-1 portables littered all over sites like AliExpress.

No idea, I'm afraid. Perhaps the only advantage is the relatively easy availability, low price, and the fact that it's a known quantity. Again, though, I would be concerned about getting a system with dead pixels if I ever wanted another one.

Disney has released a whole bunch of their games (Tron, Star Wars, Aladdin, Lion King, etc) on GOG fairly recently, so I would think it's possible.

For your TRON fix in the meantime, https://www.gog.com/game/tron_20

I wonder if the licensing of Tron titles will ever be a reality?

Telegames also re-named TRON games to get around the Disney license.

More games, better controllers (and cross-compatible), HD, and an SD card slot might help it get similar numbers as the last time.

Would definitely buy another with those features! And would also pick up an Intellivision FB similarly equipped (passed on the last one as it didn't have much to recommend it over my old Inty... at least the CV FB had a decent selection of rarer games)

I'd like to know where it's going, its interesting to me.

Not a huge fan of atgames when it comes to the Genesis, but I'm turning on that as the 2017 left a good footprint of a better direction long overdue. I'm actually getting mad seeing these childish and quite asinine and unfounded attacks on the system once ATGames was noted as the hands behind it. It always seems to be combined in that sentence or the next about how the games have awful sound and other bugs. No moron, it's not based on the 2016 and back SD firecore atrocities. Sure people could start spamming that retort around, but I doubt most would even care to bother as it's more fun to gang up and be a me-too troll for sport.

I agree with how annoying the AtGames trolls can be, but I think AtGames deserves some blame as well. First, as Bill has said many times, prior to the NES classic, a pricepoint above $30-$40 was not possible based on retailer demands. My guess is AtGames looked at it like a toy and got enough sales each year to keep going and figured there was no reason to improve. As the NES classic gained popularity, they were caught without a plan and a reputation for the cheap systems compared to Nintendo's more refined product. I think one of the bigger nails in the coffin was when they sent out the defective review units and couldn't get the replacements out or whatever happened. As an example, Cnet still refers to their review of the first run unit and either wasn't told or didn't care to update that those units weren't final.

With all that being said, I really don't think any of this will hurt sales if Sega is more in control of the marketing and the box and packaging are redesigned to minimize or remove AtGames logos and more heavily emphasize Sega and Genesis. Just my 2 cents (as if it even matters :) )

I really don't understand this. It's been what, over a decade with the same sound issue and the reason for the issue has been known for several years... The other mystery feature updates may be interesting, but there really seems to be no excuse for the sound emulation issue to still be there after all this time. I'm afraid without that being fixed, I'm going to have to pass on the next Sega Portable no matter what other new features there may be.

Hi Kevin, I was just reading this article. Sounds like a good update :

http://www.seganerds.com/2017/08/15/two-fans-have-reportedly-fixed-the-atgames-genesis-audio-issues/

• Like 1

Hi Kevin, I was just reading this article. Sounds like a good update :

http://www.seganerds.com/2017/08/15/two-fans-have-reportedly-fixed-the-atgames-genesis-audio-issues/

That's exactly what I was referring to (or one of them anyway) when I said the reason for the sound issue has been known for several years. There is another fix that has been hosted at http://elektropage.ru/publ/sega_suslik/14for a very long time. I used to have to use archive.org to download that menu hack, but it's been updated more recently, (these didn't work on my 2016 model). And that Neto/Müller one you referenced I think has been available since 2016. I started using it last year. According to their work, the fix isn't complicated, and I'm shocked and disappointed that it wasn't fixed before now and especially in the upcoming model. That just seems to be without excuse. Now, to get one that works properly out-of-the-box, we have to wait until Christmas season of 2019! That's almost a decade since the first hack fix was available and 3 years since the Neto/Müller fix (or at least 2 production cycles).

• Like 2

Bill.... what's this I see about an SNK 40th Anniversary? The future is now? Is AtGames going to have a neo geo this year? I missed out on the Neo Geo Gold or whatever it was but I am on board early with the AtGames version! Don't know what can be said but it looks like word is starting to get out!?!?

I'm excited about the news on this one!

Bill.... what's this I see about an SNK 40th Anniversary? The future is now? Is AtGames going to have a neo geo this year? I missed out on the Neo Geo Gold or whatever it was but I am on board early with the AtGames version! Don't know what can be said but it looks like word is starting to get out!?!?

I'm excited about the news on this one!

It looks like there will be a Neo Geo mini.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/04/snk_is_releasing_a_neo_geo_classic_edition_to_mark_its_40th_anniversary

Don't know where you got the idea it was from AtGames, though ... :???: :???: :???: :???:

Well if it's not ATGames, then they got another solid source, perhaps going the 10" cabinet route that MyArcade did with the DataEast and soon Namco stuff. A nearly foot tall Neo Geo cabinet or so with the right buttons, good screen, and a nice selection, perhaps even with a SD card option would be a killer offering.

It looks like there will be a Neo Geo mini.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/04/snk_is_releasing_a_neo_geo_classic_edition_to_mark_its_40th_anniversary

Don't know where you got the idea it was from AtGames, though ... :???: :???: :???: :???:

Well Bill mentioned AtGames had potential new agreements... I thought this might have been one of those.

Nope, nothing to do with AtGames.

Ahh ok... thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I hope At Games drops the "t" and brings their "A Game" this fall! ;)

According to a representative from Hyperkin, they will be releasing the Retron 77 with cartridge & SD card support for games to play in 720 HD! I'm hearing the price point will be between $50-$75. For me to consider buying another system from At Games, they need to step it up and finally include SD card support as well as have the paddle input lag issue solved. Also, the new units need to be better distributed in stores as I had to look to QVC to buy my Flashback 8 Gold just to get my hands on one! Otherwise, I'll be jumping ship to Hyperkin before you can say Rumplestiltskin! :lol:

Here are the details from Hyperkin:

Hi Everyone!

First of all, our apologies for the delay and silence on our part. It's been a long wait, and we truly appreciate your support, as well as all the suggestions and ideas. The final hardware has been finally approved and submitted to mass-production, so it's not going to be a long wait from now on.

We hope for the Retron 77 to be a good product; now it's time to answer your questions, and to say clearly what it is (and what it's not).

Second of all, yes - we indeed licensed a very early version of Stella, but as many people here on this thread mentioned, re-inventing the wheel would be simply pointless, same as reaching out to every single contributor. That is why the R77 is going to be released as an open-source system with its source codes available for the community. Certainly, it comes with a stable and fully functional core that you won't need to tinker with, but if tinkering is your game, then we encourage you to do so. It comes with a nice yet simple GUI.

We heard your thoughts on the amount of money that thing should cost, and of course we understand that it cannot be too much. We aim for this system to be affordable, and while I cannot tell you the MSRP just yet (it will soon be officially announced), we are being realistic and community-friendly. We know how much the Harmony cartridge alone costs, and we hope for this system to be not very far from that. Also, we expect to open pre-orders soon.

As we promised, it comes with all the necessary switches. So if you want to toggle difficulty for both players, game mode, color and black-and-white picture, screen aspect ratio, quick-save and quick-load your game - all that is readily available. There is also a glitch switch that was added just for fun (you can change its purpose if you are familiar with coding).

The system will ship with our new joystick controller which those of you who came to E3 last year had liked a lot. There will be an interesting extra feature for the left-handed people (or the right-handed people who want a challenge) - another Fire button. Certainly, other standard joysticks (like our Cirka controller for example) are also supported, as well as Genesis/MD gamepads. Standard paddle controllers are supported as well. On the top of that, we have another interesting controller that we expect to release at the same time or shortly after the system: it's a combo gamepad that has a little paddle built into it. We went through a lot of prototypes, including a few things suggested in this thread, and decided to go with this option. It has a toggle switch to enable left-handed mode as well.

Certainly, there are many obscure controllers out there, but the system will not support any other types of peripherals out of the box. Again, in an equation where cost and development time (already long enough) are the main variables, we believe this to be a reasonable compromise...

The system takes standard cartridges (all those we tested with my guests at last year's E3 and a few more types). Since it's an open-source system, we thought it would be a good idea to equip it with an SD card slot to make it easier for homebrew developers to get on board. That SD card will also conveniently contain the operating system (and Stella) for easy testing. We decided to drop Harmony support in favor of the SD card because supporting it requires some higher-end hardware, and we believe its homebrew functionality is basically replicated with the SD card.

If you are a developer and you want your game to be included with the system (of course with proper credit given to you or your studio in the EULA file) - please reach out to our R&D team (developer@hyperkin.com) or me directly on Linkedin. Depending on how this goes, we might offer limited amount of devkits to a selected number of developers.

It supports hot-swapping cartridges (you won't have to power down the system to change your games). Save files are good for keeping high scores or getting to see just how crazy some games like Missile Command get past a seven-digit score.

So basically, we wanted this system to be a convenient way to play games off cartridges, with common controllers on an HD TV. It's homebrew- and community-friendly. It's not the ultimate all-in-one answer to just any request, yet it's a good way to put your games collection into some good use, and to preserve the legacy by introducing our kids to what we used to play back in the days.

With all that said, we at Hyperkin and me personally want to thank everyone on this thread. Your support has made this project possible.

Yours truly,

Dr. Andrew Steel

Edited by atarifan88
  • Like 2

Well, I hope At Games drops the "t" and brings their "A Game" this fall! ;)

According to a representative from Hyperkin, they will be releasing the Retron 77 with cartridge & SD card support for games to play in 720 HD! I'm hearing the price point will be between $50-$75. For me to consider buying another system from At Games, they need to step it up and finally include SD card support as well as have the paddle input lag issue solved. Also, the new units need to be better distributed in stores as I had to look to QVC to buy my Flashback 8 Gold just to get my hands on one! Otherwise, I'll be jumping ship to Hyperkin before you can say Rumplestiltskin! :lol:

I am pretty sure AtGames is more than aware of the increased competition. The retro-gaming scene is becoming quite crowded and has become mainstream to a degree. I would not be surprised if the next FB line offerings offered SD card support. Also, they need to support to the driving controllers/paddles as well. While those are very niche, more so than the regular paddles, it still would be nice of AtGames to include support for those as well.

You're boot licking hyperkin pretty hard considering most the stuff they put out is pretty much testy to downright hot garbage. They also like to promise a lot and deliver nothing or half promises when things do show up too. At least ATgames for years has been up front about their quality or lack of with various systems and the more recent improvements.

Love that PR bs about them being open, yeah, right. Shamed or legally scared into it maybe.

The one thing I'd give any value to is the need to compete and a SD card slot would be key in that if they don't want to look like the unfriendly closed up system.

Nope, I'm just getting impatient for paddles to work properly and SD card support. I am still an At Games supporter, but increased competition is going to make for a more difficult decision. I have no knowledge of Hyperkin's past history as I haven't bought any of their systems. I prefer the pre-crash systems because it's what I grew up with.

• Like 2

Nope, I'm just getting impatient for paddles to work properly and SD card support. I am still an At Games supporter, but increased competition is going to make for a more difficult decision. I have no knowledge of Hyperkin's past history as I haven't bought any of their systems. I prefer the pre-crash systems because it's what I grew up with.

Well they're known for shoveling a good mix historically of poorly done cheaply farmed chinese system on a chip stuff where games look a little off, sound moderately (or worse) off, and in cases don't work at all entirely or maybe some internal soldering could bring a little more to play. That combined with cheap plastic shells, poorly done controllers, and other cut corners they're not loved. The Retron5 was their only decent device, but it can be testy about running games due to its design, and the first model was very prone to breaking pins inside, bending flimsy plastics, games randomly quitting to work on a specific bought system, and the whole dust up over stolen emulators in its core. They've never really put out an honest and nicely working device. If this one is, that would be a change.

Given that fans have been able to reverse engineer and fix the audio issues on Atgames systems for homebrew purposes (and that the entire issue is them not setting the FM/PSG clock to correct values during system init), it's a shame that Atgames has been unable to fix the issue in their firmware for years.

Edited by shicky256
  • Like 1