IGNORED

AtGames 2018 speculation thread

I haven't seen the 2018 Atari portable in stores yet? Is there a photo of what the packaging looks like? It appears from a spotting earlier in the comments, is that the 2018 Sega HD uses the same packaging last year's?

Here's the link to the Amazon product page.

It shows the box cover and how the unit looks like for this year. Also, you're not alone as I haven't seen the unit in stores where I live too. As of this writing, it's not even advertised on Atgames' website (neither is the FB 9 Gold).

Edited by bugcatcher88

I got FB9 HD (not Gold, wired joysticks) for $34.99 at Walgreens on Black Friday. They are still selling them for $45.

This is what infuriates me about my country. There's no way the currency differences can account for the same machine being more than double here. $100 here at Walmart and that's for the basic, not Gold edition.

• Like 1

This is what infuriates me about my country. There's no way the currency differences can account for the same machine being more than double here. $100 here at Walmart and that's for the basic, not Gold edition.

Just think of the money you're saving on healthcare when you pay more for consumer goods. You're probably coming out better than most Americans.

• Like 2

Now now let's compare apples to apples....Walmart has the Gold for $69.99. I got the Black Friday special non-Gold but HD/HDMI for $34.99.

Factor in the difference in Walmart USA vs Walmart Canada 's buying leverage along with currency exchange then the $100 CAN for the Gold seems about right.

Oh and I pay many thousands of dollars every year for the good family healthcare plan offered at work! You get the good plan for just being in the country for no additional charge!!!!

Edited by thetick1
  • Like 1

I must say i feel a little bad for atgames. For years they have been ripped on (rightfully so) for producing systems that have multiple issues. They finally produce a quality system and i feel like it's flying under the radar. I just picked up the 2018 Sega Genesis Flashback (the one with the sd slot) and I'm impressed. They really seemed to have addressed most if not all the problems with last years model. The emulator is much better. Haven't had any crashes, it's smoother and the sound is better. The menu navigation is better. The broken roms have been fixed. They have added background boarders, sound to the menu (which you can turn off it you want), you can delete save states and also back them up to an SD card or restore them from an SD Card. They have added several nice options. Plus there are some very smart individuals ( you will find if you do a little googling) that have figured out how to read roms off the SD card. Contra Hard Corps which wouldn't run on last years model runs flawlessly. I really don't have anything bad to say about it at this time. Good for them!

• Like 2

I must say i feel a little bad for atgames. For years they have been ripped on (rightfully so) for producing systems that have multiple issues. They finally produce a quality system and i feel like it's flying under the radar. I just picked up the 2018 Sega Genesis Flashback (the one with the sd slot) and I'm impressed. They really seemed to have addressed most if not all the problems with last years model. The emulator is much better. Haven't had any crashes, it's smoother and the sound is better. The menu navigation is better. The broken roms have been fixed. They have added background boarders, sound to the menu (which you can turn off it you want), you can delete save states and also back them up to an SD card or restore them from an SD Card. They have added several nice options. Plus there are some very smart individuals ( you will find if you do a little googling) that have figured out how to read roms off the SD card. Contra Hard Corps which wouldn't run on last years model runs flawlessly. I really don't have anything bad to say about it at this time. Good for them!

This years Genesis Flashback console itself feels much higher quality as well. The plastic feels thick and sturdy, not light and cheap like previous ones. I've been pretty impressed with it. There are a few things I'd like to see changed, like the ability to add boxarts for games added on the SD Card (my biggest wish for this model). The scanline filter doesn't look as good as it did in last year's. It would be nice to have a few more options for background music or be able to add your own. These are things I would think could be added by future firmware updates if they're willing to give the customer support. That would pretty much make it perfect in my opinion.

It's much better than before and I'm pretty happy with it overall. The only other issue I've noticed is that the Piko Interactive cartridge release of Duke Nukem 3D worked on last year's, but not this year's. The ROM works fine though. I haven't tried many other carts yet.

This years Genesis Flashback console itself feels much higher quality as well. The plastic feels thick and sturdy, not light and cheap like previous ones. I've been pretty impressed with it. There are a few things I'd like to see changed, like the ability to add boxarts for games added on the SD Card (my biggest wish for this model). The scanline filter doesn't look as good as it did in last year's. It would be nice to have a few more options for background music or be able to add your own. These are things I would think could be added by future firmware updates if they're willing to give the customer support. That would pretty much make it perfect in my opinion.

It's much better than before and I'm pretty happy with it overall. The only other issue I've noticed is that the Piko Interactive cartridge release of Duke Nukem 3D worked on last year's, but not this year's. The ROM works fine though. I haven't tried many other carts yet.

Yes, I absolutely feel the difference in quality. It just feels sturdier. Ability to add box art would be nice. For as much of a pain of adding games was in last years flashback being able to add the games with box art and descriptions was nice.

Edited by beetch18

Out of curiosity since I'm not in the market for a budget HD Genesis system thanks to Analogue, does the revised AtGames system work with Virtua Racing?

Last year's emulator didn't have SVP support, but I assume Genesis Plux GX or whatever it's branded as does. I could try it in rom form on my Legends Flashback, but don't have a spare SD card at the moment.

Edited by Atariboy

Out of curiosity since I'm not in the market for a budget HD Genesis system thanks to Analogue, does the revised AtGames system work with Virtua Racing?

Last year's emulator didn't have SVP support, but I assume Genesis Plux GX or whatever it's branded as does. I could try it in rom form on my Legends Flashback, but don't have a spare SD card at the moment.

It works but too slow to be playable.

Besides I'm leaning toward the Retron 77 again with the latest Stella update.

I wouldn't do that if I were you. I have the FB9 Gold and it plays all the original Atari 2600 roms from what I have seen. It also plays most homebrews. I haven't tried things like Scramble or Super Cobra knowing you need Stella 5+ for it to work. The cordless joysticks work great. The only downfall is no paddle support....yet! Hopefully ATGames will come through with this early next year. Seeing the R77 inconsistencies with cart play, makes it an instant pass for me. We won't even talk about their joysticks! :roll:

• Like 1