IGNORED

AtGames 2018 speculation thread

I don't see any official AtGames press conferences scheduled at E3, but I'm looking foward to hearing more about the Flashback 9. the Flashback 8 is really close to hitting my dream list. I'll probably pick up the 9. I know levers might be too much of an unreasonable ask, but I do hope some form of USB connectivity to add more games will be an option.

I don't see any official AtGames press conferences scheduled at E3, but I'm looking foward to hearing more about the Flashback 9. the Flashback 8 is really close to hitting my dream list. I'll probably pick up the 9. I know levers might be too much of an unreasonable ask, but I do hope some form of USB connectivity to add more games will be an option.

There may not be any announcements until August now, unfortunately. I would prefer sooner, but I'm not making the call on timing. There are lots of new products planned for this year, starting at $20 and going up from there. There should be plenty to talk about once the actual announcements for all of this stuff are made.

• Like 9

There may not be any announcements until August now, unfortunately. I would prefer sooner, but I'm not making the call on timing. There are lots of new products planned for this year, starting at $20 and going up from there. There should be plenty to talk about once the actual announcements for all of this stuff are made.

Well, I suppose the delay is slightly disappointing. But it's heartening to hear that there will be options for various levels of interest. Thanks so much for all you do, Bill.

• Like 2

I was looking forward to hearing about the Flashback series, but I can wait till August. Also, from $20 dollars and up? Curious to see what the inexpensive item is!

• Like 5

With no news until August, let's speculate!

My guesses (based on the past, hints, rumors, best guesses, and wishful thinking)

Atari:

Flashback 9 - pretty much like FlashBack 8 with a few games added

Flashback Portable 3 - much like the FBP2, a few games added, improved D-pad

Flashback 9 Gold - improved emulation and the long awaited SD card slot!

FlashBack 9 Gold: Activision Edition - improved emulation allowing for every non-licensed Activision game this time

Of course, tech companies seem to have an odd aversion to the number nine (ex. the Windows and iPhone product lines) so perhaps they will skip to ten. :-)

Sega:

Genesis Mini HD - improved emulation and interface, more authentic look to the console, no bonus games, more Genesis and Master System games added

Genesis Portable

New product: (one can dream)

Flashback Arcade - contains Atari, Namco, Konami, and Taito games housed in a great looking unit shaped like an arcade control panel with an arcade joystick, 2 action buttons, and 1 and 2 player buttons.

• Like 3

But, but! It's so cute with it's two little buttons and 8-bit de-makes of 16-bit games! Plus Europeans love the Master System. It's like the only console that ever managed to pry them away from their computers for a while.

the me of 2006 was all over that

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/94760-new-coleco-handheld-with-sega-games-on-it-other-games/page-1

but I've moved on to bigger/better/badder things

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So any chance for some early news yet?

I think Bill made reference in the Retron 77 thread that the new Atari console will have SD card support and will use a better popular emulator. Basically, if you want cartridge and SD support with few built-in games, go with the R77. If you don't care about cartridges and want more built-in games, go with the Flashback.

Hmm if I really were into the old 2600 stuff I'd go with the open system with the cart slot and SD card slot on it as the other just seems like a waste of space in comparison. Sure it has a larger set of games, but that's a licensing barrier there among others. The 77 would take whatever for the ROM dude looking for a cheap out with the SD slot, and those wanting games that won't appear on a flashback can use real carts too. Seems almost too good to be true. Hopefully the Genesis handheld, and console, take that route.

Well it won't be but I wish it were a flashback 2 with the glitch fixed and an SD card reader. Then if they want to knock it out of the park, put a spot on the board where one can solder in a cart port (easy - not a bunch of pads all over the place).

It also won't be but, I wish it were a 7800 compatible system that looked like the six switch 2600. :)