IGNORED

AtGames 2018 speculation thread

Nothing like that was ever mentioned or implied as coming from AtGames. Perhaps it was another company you were thinking of? Either way, there's nothing like that coming or in the planning stages.

And every emulator that we use that is not developed in-house is only after contact with the actual developers and abiding by any necessary licenses or open source requirements. That will be evidenced with several of this year's products.

I must have been thinking of the RetroN x86 (Hyperkin). Sorry if my mention of free software put you on the defensive. Just having a discourse on the various possibilities. :)

I must have been thinking of the RetroN x86 (Hyperkin). Sorry if my mention of free software put you on the defensive. Just having a discourse on the various possibilities. :)

I'm not on the defensive at all. I was simply trying to state that It's just not as easy as taking free software and putting out a commercial product using it. If you do it above board, there are usually fees and other serious considerations that go into it. Most "free" software is strictly for non-commercial use.

In terms of an x86-based product, I'm not sure how viable something like that is in my opinion. I would think for the vast majority of people interested in that stuff they can play it on the PC they already have, either through GOG, Steam, or with their own setup of DOSbox. It's not like it's inauthentic to play any of that in that manner.

• Like 1

The previous products that were released will all be receiving new versions, some with new names, all with new features, although not everything with different emulation.

There will be a new product line that will be the primary focus of advertising and retail space. It's actually rather neat, although there will only be a few variations in this new series that explore truly new territory for AtGames. We can discuss the various tiers of products and what will be available where in detail once they start to come out.

Aweome. Thanks for the clarification. I look forward to whatever comes next (even if my first love is Atari)

Was anything ever written about Retron x86? All I can find is a video of a slideshow from 2014, and some neogeo forums talking about that "announcement."

It's an interesting idea, but it's easily done in software in the PC you already have, or any low-end, very cheap Windows laptop. Retro games don't need much power, and PC games generally don't need fancy/faithful controls.

As others have said, GOG fills this space quite well already.

• Like 1

Speaking to x86, GOG, etc. the Dreamcade Replay I ordered has arrived - the price point starts around $129 w/ 1 controller. It's a Win10 PC w/ just about every emulator from 2600 through the Wii/PS1 gen consoles + GOG/Steam games. This unboxing video shows the interface, emulation examples, etc. Probably a different audience + price point compared to ATGames offerings but worth a look now that the original Kickstarter shipments are close to being completed.

Was anything ever written about Retron x86? All I can find is a video of a slideshow from 2014, and some neogeo forums talking about that "announcement."

It's an interesting idea, but it's easily done in software in the PC you already have, or any low-end, very cheap Windows laptop. Retro games don't need much power, and PC games generally don't need fancy/faithful controls.

As others have said, GOG fills this space quite well already.

Edited by TF14
  • Like 2

I just posted to my Notes and Nerds facebook, and twitter accounts. FCC information regarding the Atari Flashback 9 Gold, and the Sega Genesis Flashback (2018). They have SD card slots. Now, these appear to be prototypes, so I am not sure if the slot will make it to the final builds, but I did send an email to confirm this. I am waiting to hear back.

Atari Flashback 9 Gold - https://fccid.io/2AMTQ3650ATARI

Sega Flashback (2018) - https://fccid.io/2AMTQ3680SEGA18

Now, back before the 8 landed, I was informed by a contact at AtGames that the SD card slot for the Atari Flashback line was in the pipeline. For the 2017 model, they wanted to focus on introducing the HDMI support first. With the Hyperkin Retron '77 out, and offering SD card support, I would be surprised that AtGames didn't offer the card slot. Especially since the handheld units already offered SD card support. When I find out more (hopefully within the next day or so), I will share my findings.

-EDIT-

I found the Flashback 8 Gold, and Sega Genesis HD (2017) on the FCC sight, and those prototypes did NOT have the SD card slot. The Genesis HD didn't even have a card reader on the mobo. I am very confident in saying that SD card support is FINALLY coming to the Flashback consoles!

post-19675-0-82303900-1533796177.jpg

post-19675-0-75288200-1533796184_thumb.png

post-19675-0-92843500-1533796191.jpg

post-19675-0-77828700-1533796197.jpg

Edited by etschuetz
  • Like 6

Wow, this is good info and great news! Looking at the game list now, its an ambitious undertaking that they are adding Pitfall II to the console. This must mean they are using a higher version of Stella than the Retron 77! Whatever is missing from the game list, hopefully the SD card slot will handle...

• Like 2

Agreed, AtGames definitely has a golden opportunity to really separate themselves from the pack with this year's products, especially if the HD units offer SD card support and can support everything. Time will tell to see if that is true or not, though.

Wow, this is good info and great news! Looking at the game list now, its an ambitious undertaking that they are adding Pitfall II to the console. This must mean they are using a higher version of Stella than the Retron 77! Whatever is missing from the game list, hopefully the SD card slot will handle...

• Like 2

This seems good news. With Pis, LaunchBox, etc to do so much, it would be really nice if there was a simple elegant solution that really did it all. That said, if they really want a complete elegant solution, I hope any added games seamlessly join the menu instead of being a text only list under "OTHER".

• Like 1

This seems good news. With Pis, LaunchBox, etc to do so much, it would be really nice if there was a simple elegant solution that really did it all. That said, if they really want a complete elegant solution, I hope any added games seamlessly join the menu instead of being a text only list under "OTHER".

If the portables are anything to go by, I wouldn't hold your breath. As long as there is a list of some sort, that should be fine. It would be nice to be able to add your own box art to make it more than just a text list. Maybe a picture list of the game boxes and names?

• Like 1

Where did you see Pitfall II being on the Flashback 9?

Stella 3.7.5 will run Pitfall II just fine, enhanced music and all.

• Like 1

The PC version of Stella is simple and does it all.

Stella on the PC is no more difficult to set up than any program from the past 30 years.

• Like 1

The PC version of Stella is simple and does it all.

Stella on the PC is no more difficult to set up than any program from the past 30 years.

Which is exactly what I'm doing right now. I love it.

I guess I'm saying I'd be happy to pick up the Flashback 9 if it's as good as what I already have. If I can set it up that easily on Stella, I would hope they would take that same effort.

Edited by whbinder

I noticed that the instructions say that controllers for the Flashback 8 are not compatible. It would be nice if these were standard Bluetooth controllers.

It would also be nice if they have paddle controllers in stock on a regular basis or at least keep having deluxe editions that include the paddles...

I noticed that the instructions say that controllers for the Flashback 8 are not compatible. It would be nice if these were standard Bluetooth controllers.

Instructions for which flashback version are not compatible with Flashback 8? Are there instructions for the Flashback 9 around, already?

To head off any unrealistic assumptions at this time, I'll say that the new generation of AtGames controllers are not generic Bluetooth controllers. While it certainly may be possible to get them to work in that manner through some type of hack, that functionality is not an inherent capability/feature. They're "keyed" to the various AtGames systems.

• Like 1

I hope they're clearly marked, or otherwise easily identifiable!

Not that I'm aware of. They look like standard paddles (at least the test paddles that I received). It's unfortunate they're not cross-compatible, but I guess that's the cost this year for high performance with the 9 series.

• Like 2

Thanks Bill for your input. I will gladly take controllers that are not compatible with previous Flashbacks because if these 9 series live up to their expectations in compatibility and performance, nobody in their right mind will want to use the previous versions again.

• Like 3