IGNORED

SNK 40th Anniversary Collection announced

Atariboy

While there are bugs that need resolving if yesterday's patch didn't already squash them, this was it for the free games. Anything else that may be added isn't anything that has been promised to us, which is already one game more than was initially announced (Although they've said that if they ever get a rom dump of Yosaku, they'll add it).

The patch also only includes 9 of the games apparently. You must go to the eShop and download the remaining two separately for some bizarre reason.

Edited by Atariboy

I think the extra games are a separate download for ESRB content reasons -- they're bloodier than the games in the update.

I need to spend some more time with this collection, because I'm only familiar with a tiny sliver of the games on it, mostly Vanguard. It's testing my "I like old games" idea ...right now it feels like the truth is "I like old games I liked when I was young."

• 4 weeks later...

As a new PS4 owner that is yet to buy a Switch, that's good news. :)

I hope like the Switch, that the retail edition isn't restricted to just this limited edition release. I don't want to pay extra for some useless trinkets and would prefer just a disc copy in a PS4 case (Ideally with everything on the disc, as you said).

Now I wish the Sega Ages releases, Zaccaria Pinball, the Psikyo downloads, and Namco Museum would follow suit (Which added Splatterhouse, Tank Force, and Rolling Thunder 2 which had always been passed over with past NM releases).

Ignoring Xbox One backwards compatibility, I could then have all the classic games available on the current three platforms on one platform, minus Rare Replay and the Nintendo content of course like arcade Donkey Kong.

Edited by Atariboy

I really like the way they implimented the control scheme for the rotary stick shooters, especially on the DLC games (which has one slight tweak).

Beast Busters' light gun cursor though? Yeech. Having the recticule Auto center and relying on hair sensitive analog controls makes me not want to play it at all.

Edited by Azathoth

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Playing this on PS4 and slightly annoyed that it's windowboxed for me. Managed to dig up a YouTube video that demonstrates what I'm seeing with black bars on all four sides of the screen.

I haven't seen anyone else complain that it's windowboxed. I certainly don't expect to see 3:4 and 4:3 classics filling my 16:9 display, but I'm confused why other aspects like the collection's title screen don't. It also means the games themselves can't vertically fill my entire screen space to be as large as possible while maintaining their correct proportions.

Did I somehow miss an option? This seems like something people would be complaining about, but I haven't seen anyone complaining.

Edited by Atariboy

4 hours ago, Atariboy said:

I haven't seen anyone else complain that it's windowboxed. I certainly don't expect to see 3:4 and 4:3 classics filling my 16:9 display, but I'm confused why other aspects like the collection's title screen don't. It also means the games themselves can't vertically fill my entire screen space to be as large as possible while maintaining their correct proportions.

Did I somehow miss an option? This seems like something people would be complaining about, but I haven't seen anyone complaining.

I have the Switch version and I didn't notice that -- but I could have ignored it without checking.  I'll take a look at it when I next plug the system into the TV.

In handheld mode, the games seem to fill  the vertical space when I have "fill screen" enabled in the options.  Once I start a game, I enter the options menu -- I think every game has to be set individually.

• 1 year later...

Just on the small chance that someone may stumble across this thread when experiencing a similar issue to mine (This collection and another Digital Eclipse release were heavily windowboxed for me on the PS4), it's user error. :)

I simply had never set the safe area in the PS4's display settings. It was at default which leaves a ton of overscan area. Digital Eclipse apparently are one of the few developers that actually respect this display setting since no other PS4 games I've ever played were windowboxed like this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll save that for someone else to offer you a recommendation one way or another (I will say that it's an interesting collection, but it definitely does have some flaws). I just wanted to chime in that you're not restricted to Japan for importing if you want a physical copy. The PS4 and Switch release both saw a European release and you can import from that region without issue if you see one for a reasonable price. 

The one possible hitch is if it's the Switch version that you're after, since the Switch cartridge didn't include every game. Several additional games came out a while after release via a patch and two of the bloodier games were distributed as free DLC via the eShop. I'm not sure if the North American patch and DLC will be interoperable so you may need to create a free European account in order to get the game fully updated with all the content.

Not a roadblock and you'll be able to then play the game with your regular Nintendo account, but it's definitely an added nuisance. 

While I'm wary of recommending this collection or suggesting that you skip it (It's an interesting arcade collection, but much more niche than say Midway Arcade Treasures for another example), I suppose it doesn't hurt to mention perhaps the most substantial issue that it has.

All the LS-30 rotary stick games suffer from a peculiar issue on PS4 (And I believe NS and XB1) where your aim occasionally gets stuck in position with the right analog stick. It can be worked around (As I recall, I believe I release the analog back to neutral and it starts working again), but definitely an annoying quirk that drags it down.

If the overhead run and guns are a big part of the appeal of this, you may prefer to buy Hamster's Arcade Archives releases of the Ikari Warriors trilogy, TNK III, and Guerrilla War. While they're digital downloads, they don't suffer from any such annoyance with the mapping of the rotary aiming functionality of the LS-30 arcade stick to the right analog stick on the PS4 or Switch controllers. 

• Like 1

PC version of the collection (which I got free from the Amazon games app) also has the same issue with rotary stick games. I was disappointed that many bugs present on Switch weren't fixed when it was ported to other systems.

Edited by BrianC
  • Like 1