IGNORED

Animal Forest on N64 is Delightful!

Now having an Everdrive V3, I made it a quest to find a working English translated rom for Animal Forest. This apparently is no easy task, as the first was only English for 10% or so of Nook's speech bubbles and not much else, the second was supposedly all English but would freeze between the train sequence and booting the town, and the third didn't do much of anything at all.

Finally however, at an undisclosed location, I found it. I know it's just the same game as as on the GCN, but I quite like it on the N64, and it's a shame we never got it for the system. The graphics are nice and crisp and look proper and clear (text, etc). Menu controls work great, and typing isn't too bad. Not sure how many people have really gotten to lose themselves in this version, but it's a nice diversion from the DS game and is different enough to warrant a play through.

I started playing the different versions trying to get them to work at 8pm. I got a copy to work by about 10:30. I figured it was about 1am, and I'd get to bed. Sure enough my clock now reads 5:07am!

I've been asked if I miss having sold all my real carts in lieu of all these Everdrives and flashcarts. No, no I have not. :)

• Like 1

That's awesome. I'll never forget the Christmas my wife bought Animal Crossing on the Gamecube for me. I lost so much time in that game, and loved every second of it. Part of me wants to buy a new Gamecube just for Animal Crossing, but I don't want to get re-hooked. I'd heard just a little bit about the Japanese version being on the N64 but never really looked into it. Is it cut back much at all from the Gamecube version?

That's awesome. I'll never forget the Christmas my wife bought Animal Crossing on the Gamecube for me. I lost so much time in that game, and loved every second of it. Part of me wants to buy a new Gamecube just for Animal Crossing, but I don't want to get re-hooked. I'd heard just a little bit about the Japanese version being on the N64 but never really looked into it. Is it cut back much at all from the Gamecube version?

The GCN version is different, but it's more or less the "same" game. I haven't played a lot of the GCN version, but with the N64 version there are some interesting differences vs other Animal Crossing games.

For instance, the Able Sisters aren't in the game, which feels weird at first. But then again, you can still buy cloths and umbrellas in the store (or get them from neighbors).

The animation for releasing fish seems to be different (they plop about on the ground before going in the water). I haven't found a museum yet, but supposedly you can submit fossils (I've found several already) to the Museum once you get a letter in the mail, though I'm not sure if this is true.

As for additions, there's a shrine in the game that communicates to you, which is cool. The input system is a circular disc sort of thing. It works well, but also feels kinda unnecessary. Nook's store sign looks different from the outside as well and I swear a neighbor of mine looks different compared to contemporary designs, but I could be wrong.