IGNORED

3-in-1 Football (Lance Haffner) Does it Exist?

thanks

I've just purchased the C64 Standings/League Leaders Disk that i referred to above.

I have no means to image it or create anything digitally usable, but thought it may be worth retaining a copy to image later.

On 5/21/2020 at 4:12 AM, MrFish said:

I just purchased this today. I don't have any ST equipment, but it doesn't matter; I just want to have the instruction manual. I'll make a copy and post it as soon as it arrives and I have a chance to scan it.

3 in 1 Football (Atari ST)

So, further proof of the existence of the Atari 8-bit version is in the ST manual -- which just arrived today. There is a section on loading the game for various computers, and the Atari 800/800XL/130XE has loading instructions listed there. So this looks like a universal instruction manual, which would have been the same for the Atari 8-bits. I'm glad I've got it now. I'll get this scanned in soon.

• Like 5

Was there any doubt? Sometimes I wonder why I speak up...  this will have to do... vindication.

It will turn up if it doesn't end up in a bin, stolen and formatted like the entire toad repository.... or lost due to estate sale, people not knowing what it is...

Edited by _The Doctor__

9 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Was there any doubt? Sometimes I wonder why I speak up... oh this will have to do... vindication

Huh? Who said anyone doubted you? The doubt was prior to all the information you provided; it's just nice to see some validation in print here. I was totally convinced with what you were saying already.

Edited by MrFish

Cool, it's just me being in a funk... I convinced myself since a couple of spats/go around with folks, that I'd been put on ignore lists and was deemed not credible. It's nice to know that isn't entirely the case. It's also good to know that people are looking in part as a result.

Can't wait for the scans... Thanks again,

_T D__

@MrFish

I might also add, that the screen work you did... that is would be awesome to see a re-port of the game with your work. While finding the original would be a testament to an old friend. It would be a nod to those who enjoyed such stuff to see it happen, maybe even with the port being updated or redone in such a way as to handle all the disks, a kind of honor

Edited by _The Doctor__

2 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Cool, it's just me being in a funk... I convinced myself since a couple of spats/go around with folks, that I'd been put on ignore lists and was deemed not credible. It's nice to know that isn't entirely the case. It's good to know that people are looking in part as a result.

Can't wait for the scans... Thanks again,

Yeah, you provided way too many details regarding your friend for it just to be some foggy memory. That stuff is golden in a detective case like this...

You'd have to understand, he was such a ball of energy, excited, happy, he really was proud of his Atari... and he shared some happy memories/times with us. I carried my disks to his house a number of times. Missed and not forgotten, he was a good guy. I feel a little sad in that I am now confused as to whether the Rhubarb was from his back yard or Jeff's next door.... I just can't remember exactly... so it's good that I posted when my memory was better. I'll go back and read.

Edited by _The Doctor__

32 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

@MrFish

I might also add, that the screen work you did... that is would be awesome to see a re-port of the game with your work. While finding the original would be a testament to an old friend. It would be a nod to those who enjoyed such stuff to see it happen, maybe even with the port being updated or redone in such a way as to handle all the disks, a kind of honor

I'm still looking into to this, now and again, when I have time.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, brenski said:

excellent stuff.

weird though that after all this time, the A8 version still hasn't turned up.

I wouldn't give up hope. Obscure items like this turn up unexpectedly, all the time.

For years, a lot of people were talking about Diamond GOS v3.0 existing. It finally turned up a few years ago and got dumped, not to mention that the source code was also turned over by Alan Reeve.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I saw that one a few days ago, which has a different box than the ST version that I picked up. I was wondering if it'd be an earlier release or later. I'm guessing later, as packaging usually got cheaper for systems as time went on.

Seeing as the ST version is still readily available from Bravo Sierra in both NEW and USED form at $20 and $7.50 respectively, his asking price is way off, based on, what I would call, "street rarity"; although there may be some rarity to that particular packaging of the game (I have no idea what packaging is available from Bravo).

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/19/2020 at 7:43 PM, MrFish said:

I'd be interested in a copy of the DOS version too.

Sorry this took so long to get uploaded, I completely forgot about it! I wasn't able to get it to run, but I'm not particularly skilled with DOS, so I could have done something wrong. It also appears like there may be a disk or two missing, but I've attached the 4 disks that were in the box when I bought it.

I use a Mac, so please ignore any random directories that might appear in the ZIP.

3-in-1 Football.zip

EDIT:

3-in-1.thumb.png.e7c18ae2d768b8b95eab40cdbbe96dc0.png

Here's everything in the box that I bought. The two disks on the left are from 1987 and the two on the right are from 1991. I'd be happy to scan the booklets if anybody is interested, but it will probably be some time until I'm able to scan them. I'd also be happy to sell them to anybody interested. Again, the floppy disks may not all be there, so please keep that in mind.

Edited by zaratari
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, zaratari said:

Sorry this took so long to get uploaded, I completely forgot about it! I wasn't able to get it to run, but I'm not particularly skilled with DOS, so I could have done something wrong. It also appears like there may be a disk or two missing, but I've attached the 4 disks that were in the box when I bought it.

I use a Mac, so please ignore any random directories that might appear in the ZIP.

3-in-1 Football.zip 460.58 kB · 5 downloads

imageproxy.php?img=&key=f4dcc336a70d5c68

EDIT:

Here's everything in the box that I bought. The two disks on the left are from 1987 and the two on the right are from 1991. I'd be happy to scan the booklets if anybody is interested, but it will probably be some time until I'm able to scan them. I'd also be happy to sell them to anybody interested. Again, the floppy disks may not all be there, so please keep that in mind.

Thanks for posting, it's really appreciated. It'd be nice to have the other materials too, when you get a chance to scan them.

27 minutes ago, MrFish said:

Thanks for posting, it's really appreciated. It'd be nice to have the other materials too, when you get a chance to scan them.

Please let me know if you can get it running! I know nothing about this software (game?), just found it in Goodwill and noticed there were few records of it, so I wanted to help archive it. I need to go to my office on Monday, and I'll use the high DPI scanner I have there for the box art, manuals, and the software catalog card.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zaratari said:

Please let me know if you can get it running! I know nothing about this software (game?), just found it in Goodwill and noticed there were few records of it, so I wanted to help archive it. I need to go to my office on Monday, and I'll use the high DPI scanner I have there for the box art, manuals, and the software catalog card.

It should be no problem getting it running; it's just an old MS DOS application. You just need to use DOSBox to run it under modern operating systems. I don't have DOSBox installed at the moment, but I'll install it and check everything out when I get a chance. In the meantime, there are probably some others who've already downloaded it and have it running by now -- since a lot retro folk are into running old MS DOS apps too.

Thanks again, and I appreciate you taking time to scan all the manuals too.

Edited by MrFish

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

How funny to see this thread today. I am the person who wrote that review for ANALOG magazine and I can tell you with ALL certainty that this was an actual Atari 8-bit product which I bought from Lance Haffner company. It was not a review copy. It definitely existed and it was pretty good. Better than Computer Quarterback from SSI at the time. It was much more realistic and stats-based. The closest Atari 8-bit ever got to XOR Football for the PC if anyone remembers that.

What was really cool for me was that there was a list of teams available. A ton if I recall that were listed in the documentation. But then I was poking around on the disk one day and discovered there were a whole bunch more teams "hidden" on the disk. Some great teams of all time and from various seasons. I'd have to go look up how many extra. But you could reach them all through the main menu if you knew the "key" for them. Whatever it was.

I grew up playing Strat-O-Matic Football and baseball in the70s and sports board games of every kind. So I was all about all the Atari sports games and I would immediately buy sight unseen pretty much anything sports related based on real stats. The only weird thing about Lance Haffner was they didn't round off yardage on plays, so a player would run for 7.3 yards or make a catch for 15.2 yards. (They rounded them off in the final tally)

I also owned another obscure stats based sports title that doesn't have an image of any kind on AtariMania called Monday Morning Manager for baseball.

Dave

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

incredible really that, so many people know of this Atari game - and other platform versions crop up on ebay - yet somehow, 3-in-1 (A8) continues to do a "Percy Blakeney".