IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

@chris36 - generally you shouldn't need to telnet to the PI. But I do try to set it up in case there is some emergency network config command or something... 

I'm seeing the same problem, so there must be something additional I failed to apply when creating the sd image. 

The world doesn't like telnet anymore, and I set it up so that only connections from the PI itself ( and the python software on the PI proxying the network for the 4A ) are able to connect. 

I'll see about fixing this.

• Like 2

Update 4.3 - 2024-06-30 

- install a different version of telnetd

The 4A client TIPI.NET.TELNET will now be able to connect locally to the telnetd on the PI.

Just run the TIPI upgrade process from the 4A ( from BASIC, CALL TIPI, follow the prompts ) 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2019 at 1:45 AM, jedimatt42 said:

It only serves files from /home/tipi/tipi_disk which is the folder the TI sees as "TIPI."

DSKx drives can only be mapped to folders within "TIPI." using relative TI directory syntax. These mappings are meant to be changed to support specific legacy programs that insist your files are on "floppies" such as TI Artist, Old Dark Caves, etc... "TIPI." is meant to be treated like your TI hard drive.

This folder is also shared as a Windows file share named "TIPI", making it easy to transfer files as well as the web-ui.

Never afraid to ask stupid questions, here goes another one:

When I am using my TIPI, I keep the web interface open on my laptop and conduct file transfer that way.  However, I do not keep my PI powered when I shut down my TI/PEB.  Therefore, I lose the web interface for the TIPI when working on my laptop "offline".

Question: How can I set up a folder to work on programs in Classic99 when PI is off and I am not on my home network, but still make these files available when back on home network and have the TIPI/PI fired-up?

Note:  I use a PC/Windows laptop

Thanks!

Edited by Switch1995
additional info

4 minutes ago, Switch1995 said:

Question: How can I set up a folder to work on programs in Classic99 when PI is off and I am not on my home network, but still make these files available when back on home network and have the TIPI/PI fired-up?

Try making the file share on your TIPI "always available" or "available offline."  That sets up a synchronization relationship between a local cache on your computer and your TIPI.  When the TIPI is off (or unreachable,) you can work in that local cache as if it were connected.  Then when the computer detects the TIPI is back on, your work will be synchronized.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OLD CS1 said:

Try making the file share on your TIPI "always available" or "available offline."  That sets up a synchronization relationship between a local cache on your computer and your TIPI.  When the TIPI is off (or unreachable,) you can work in that local cache as if it were connected.  Then when the computer detects the TIPI is back on, your work will be synchronized.

Thank you.  Not quite sure how to do that, but I will continue to research!

Just now, Switch1995 said:

Thank you.  Not quite sure how to do that, but I will continue to research!

On your Windows computer, right-click on the TIPI share.  I have no idea what it looks like, so I cannot give any detailed guidance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Let me google that for you... (I was actually curious to learn about this windows feature)

Search: Windows network share available offline

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-make-network-files-always-available-offline-on-windows-10

I have no experience with this. But logically any file syncing technology should achieve this result.

I personally have left my PI running all the time. The current one has only been off to flash an SD card since the PI 3 was released.

The opposite approach also works. That being create a share on the Classic99 machine and edit the /etc/fstab on the PI to mount it on boot. Mount it as or within the /home/tipi/tipi_disk directory and it will be available to the 4A.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1