IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

3 minutes ago, Asmusr said:

A RESTful API maps well to the DSR operations. I integrated JS99er with the Google Drive API some years ago, but because of increased security restrictions this it getting more difficult to maintain, and I'm not sure how well it works any longer. But if saving is allowed there has to be a way to authorize the user, and using a token issued by a public authentication provider like Google is probably the easiest way to go if you don't want to maintain your own use database and authentication server.

I can't help but think if we want a network drive, then the PI.HTTP hacks are not it... but an extension that actually POSTS the PAB data would be interesting... 

But, like I said earlier, if you want the full features of the 4A filesystem, just use the PI's OS to map a folder to be synchronized to a webservice... 

I see what OLD CS1 is enticed by, and it will be a trivial hack to allow POST on SAVE and CLOSE ( WRITE operates in memory ) if someone wants to build something lightweight off that. So, I might as well do that... 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

Does anyone already know... is it safe to join with a  ' ' (SPACE) or maybe I should only join if the line ends with a "::" so that the author is in control. 

Tidbit docs to the rescue

Tidbit joins lines ending with .. (2 dots). It works but can clutter the line a bit. I like the idea of looking for the next line number instead. And if the TIPI tokenizer is capable to ignoring spaces between commands on a line, then indentation should become possible as well.

Edited by Vorticon
  • Like 1

So, if you use the /TB file extension, I don't have to do anything... 

If you use the /XB or /BAS extension, it is preferred that I just roll with ambiguity, and join lines with a ' ' space. If it is a statement, you'll have to include the '::' yourselves.. and then so I don't end up making lines extra long, I can replace <whitespace> + '::' + <whitespace> with just '::' to ensure I am not inserting unnecessary spaces.

you write:

10 PRINT
"HELLO WORLD"
20 FOR I=1 TO 20::
   PRINT I
   :: NEXT I

and you get:

10 PRINT "HELLO WORLD"
20 FOR I=1 TO 20::PRINT I::NEXT I

You write:

10 ON X GOSUB 1000, 2000, 3000,
4000, 5000, 6000, 7000

and you get:

10 ON X GOSUB 1000, 2000, 3000,
4000, 5000, 6000, 7000

hmmmmm... maybe I should require line numbers in column 0. Always... so you can disambiguate by indenting lines that start with a number, that are not line numbers.

(People should just use TidBit)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

(People should just use TidBit)

So up until now I did now know that you supported tidbit with the TIPI. I really should go back and closely go over the wiki.

Forget everything I said. There is no need re-invent the wheel since tidbit work perfectly fine, including symbolic labels. It's pretty impressive that you managed to incorporate it with the TIPI. Totally awesome.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

There is a whole lot missing operation wise... no LVL2 IO support for anything under 'PI.' device. Only LVL3 (basically, the set of operations you can do from BASIC)

I am not concerned with fanciness.  I just want to OLD and SAVE, at least at first.  The only other thing I would like to implement is a catalog.

4 hours ago, Asmusr said:

Google is probably the easiest way to go if you don't want to maintain your own use database and authentication server.

I have an authentication back-end built for my own stuff -- for which I am the only 10 users.  I am not certain I will use it here, though, and I am certainly not interested in implementing a third-party system.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

I see what OLD CS1 is enticed by, and it will be a trivial hack to allow POST on SAVE and CLOSE ( WRITE operates in memory ) if someone wants to build something lightweight off that. So, I might as well do that... 

HEY!  Does the TIdBiT import function of the TIPI also work with the PI.HTTP method?  That is, would retrieving a text file with TIdBiT source called PROGRAM.XB via PI.HTTP result in an Extended BASIC program load?

36 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

HEY!  Does the TIdBiT import function of the TIPI also work with the PI.HTTP method?  That is, would retrieving a text file with TIdBiT source called PROGRAM.XB via PI.HTTP result in an Extended BASIC program load?

I had to review the source... Looks like it should, but in that case it has to be plane text content as apposed to a TIFILES DV80. 

If I recall, I was thinking a webserver could generate BASIC code... 

• Thanks 1

PI-Zero and PI-Zero-W are 2 totally different models. 

https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki/Which-PI

I've never supported the PI-Zero ( without the W ) - It may work... but I will not even try to reproduce problems reported against it.

The PI 3B+ supports 5Ghz wireless. The PI-Zero-W does not. By the time you've added 5Ghz usb adapter or usb ethernet adapter, you might as well have gotten a PI 3B+. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

The PI 3B+ supports 5Ghz wireless. The PI-Zero-W does not. By the time you've added 5Ghz usb adapter or usb ethernet adapter, you might as well have gotten a PI 3B+.

Which will not fit in the Speech Synthesizer case.  I want to be as low-profile as possible.  There are almost zero hobby devices with built-in wireless networking which support 5GHz.  This is a "me" issue.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Which will not fit in the Speech Synthesizer case.  I want to be as low-profile as possible.  There are almost zero hobby devices with built-in wireless networking which support 5GHz.  This is a "me" issue.

There are a couple of 5GHz options in USB that should work with the Zero4U USB hub, if the TIPI base OS will support them (or I can install the drivers.)  One is a nano-USB which I believe along with the Zero4U will still fit into the SS case. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Brufnus said:

Oh dear... c".) I wonder why I'm still using my old HFDC with the Geneve... ?! c".=

Nothing wrong with that, if you get a Drem, hard and floppy emulator, Google it. You can use hard drive images on SD cards. Then you can copy and back to your hearts content. Beery Miller has one, and just as soon as my 22/hour job pans out, I'll have a couple too, for both my HFDC's. But the tipi is a great thing to have, one day I'll have one too.?

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, RickyDean said:

Nothing wrong with that, if you get a Drem, hard and floppy emulator, Google it. You can use hard drive images on SD cards. Then you can copy and back to your hearts content. Beery Miller has one, and just as soon as my 22/hour job pans out, I'll have a couple too, for both my HFDC's. But the tipi is a great thing to have, one day I'll have one too.?

You're right; it's a good controller after all, and I still remember as if it were yesterday, when I purchased it some 30 years ago and didn't have to rely solely on floppies anymore, ha ha :-D Da**, I even started with a cassette recorder for the TI. c".)

Yes, I forgot about the Drem... I've been looking for a SCSI card, but you're right - the Drem is definitely an option worth considering. Still, the TIPI sounds quite promising too. :-D

Edited by Brufnus
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

I have both in my Geneve, it's so nice to be able to load up TIPI with all my files off the HFDC drive and back them up to my PC easily.. 

Indeed, the TIPI seems worth considering. I've almost finished my Amiga project (RAM expansion, hard drive access and a new Kickstart/OS/Workbench)... next thing will probably be upgrading the Geneve as well. I like the Amiga, but I LOVE the Geneve... there's that! :-D

Edited by Brufnus
  • Like 1

I've always said 'you have the full power and flexibility of the linux filesystem services' to do storage however you want. So I've finally tried to do something a little different myself... 

I run a Nextcloud private cloud server, and thought I should be able to setup sync or network file system access of some sort to it to host the 4A files... So I wrote up the steps I took.  Nextcloud provides WebDAV protocol, and linux supports Webdav as a caching filesystem. So it's a little slow to catalog at first, but still probably faster than floppy seek time... 

https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki/Cloud

With an approach like this, all the normal TIPI supported storage can be applied to a cloud hosted folder. In my case, I mount the webdav server on /home/tipi/tipi_disk/CLOUD, and can access ( write and load and read, catalog, file copy, etc... ) it as TIPI.CLOUD. and even map DSK1. (or the others) to TIPI.CLOUD. if desired.

(edit: Of course, after I post this, I find I have a problem with rebooting the PI, I think I'm mounting the filesystem before networking is enabled ... more to learn...)

(edit 2: Ok, fixed... instructions on page auto mount on reboot)

There are similar filesystems you can install for doing this sort of thing with other cloud storage providers too. 

• Like 4