IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

1 hour ago, arcadeshopper said:

This is common with most larger drives including the horizon RAM disk which means it's own custom dm to copy files to it..

The horizon ramdisk doesn't/shouldn't require a custom dm for any copy operations unless two peripherals are using the same unit (device)number, which is a problem with TI's level 2 spec, not the peripheral type.  However, if there is a problem with the ramdisk, drop a note in the CFG/ROS dev topic for me to poke at.

I watched again, arcadeshopper's tipi presentation.

I see that you can load a program, with call tipi("pi.http://ftp.whtech.com/TIPI/DM2K").

Is there a call tipi that would copy files from a remote website to the TIPI. (storage)?

something like call tipi("pi.http://ftp.whtech.com/TIPI/DM*, TIPI.MYDIR.")?

--- I know there are two alternate ways to achieve that same thing.

1) open the tipi from your PC's web browser - http:tipi ip:9900

-and-

2) Map the tipi's main file directory to a share on your pc

and then have your PC copy in to tipi storage.

• Like 1

I watched again, arcadeshopper's tipi presentation.

I see that you can load a program, with call tipi("pi.http://ftp.whtech.com/TIPI/DM2K").

Is there a call tipi that would copy files from a remote website to the TIPI. (storage)?
   something like call tipi("pi.http://ftp.whtech.com/TIPI/DM*, TIPI.MYDIR.")?

--- I know there are two alternate ways to achieve that same thing.
  1) open the tipi from your PC's web browser - http:tipi ip:9900
  -and-
  2) Map the tipi's main file directory to a share on your pc
  and then have your PC copy in to tipi storage.

No call tipi to do anything but load cfg or another ea5 program

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dhe said:

Having problems copying files from IDE to TIPI - The TIPI was just installed.

I can do call tipi - and it looks good, allows me to update my wireless configuration settings.

image.thumb.png.464b1b687bea112c6fbd12d918577bbf.png

So that all looks good to me, but when I go to copy a file from IDE to tipi I get:

image.thumb.png.22906ae0b2b2ad643eb06119477925ce.png

DM2K

Err00: Opendsr

Any hints on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks.

If you are doing this with a Geneve, use the MDOS version, GDM2K.  It is much better, and the TIPI is actually device name TIP1.

• Like 1

Make sure both sides of your copy from/to are mapped in TIpi and the OS you are using.

Use windows, Linux, Mac or the raspberry pi os to do your copying from TIpi or to TIpi directories.

Dm2K can also move files but is slow.

Just make a script in your desktop as well and run that from your OS, this will also do the job.

Edited by GDMike

Update v2.28 - 2021-11-21

Add a backup and restore function - The web ui provides under 'tools' a backup and restore workflow.. You can create a backup, download the tarball, you can restore it to another tipi, or if flashing a new sd image, you can copy the backup into the /boot partition of the image and it will restore on first boot. 

https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki/Backup-Restore

there is also a new sdimage on my downloads site for v2.28, so fresh installs can take advantage of this.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Vorticon said:

What is backed up? Is it just the TIPI disk folder or all the settings including the IP address?

Here is the actual backup script: https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/blob/buster_release/setup/backup.sh

The tipi.config, tipi share, pdfs share, the .tipivars folder that things like SNEK and CHATTI store data in, and the /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

A very TIPI specific backup. 

If you place the backup archive onto the boot partition it does restore your WIFI config. If restoring via the web-ui, it presumes you have re-established network access and that it should NOT restore the wifi config. Nothing else is preserved. For most of us, the IP address is given by your home router, probably sticky to the MAC address of the PI. So you would get the same one back in that general case. If you've gone and configured your PI to not use DHCP and take a static IP address, I don't know how you did it, cause I've never bothered to try it, and so you'll have to control restoring that yourself. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Need some help.

I hosed my sdcard so I imaged it with the latest version (tipi-sdimage-buster-2.28).

I expanded the partition.

I change the default tipi password.

Upon first boot. 

I select 1. for TI BASIC

Type CALL TIPI and hit enter.

I get a garbled FinalGrom99 open menu screen.

EDIT: Connections - TI-SpechSynth-SideCartSAMS-TIPi

?? Where do I go from here?

Edited by Sinphaltimus
More Info

CALL TIPI doesn't interact with the cart port address space. So if you end up running code there (the garbled fg99 menu) then the TIPICFG program was garbled during the load or after the load due to memory or bus issues, and running the corrupted code causes the crash.

So try to eliminate whatever you can, and make sure things are well powered. The side port sam's needs it's power. Maybe remove the fg99, then the crashes will be more likely to crash out to title screen. Then remove the speech synth... 

Double check good connection on the TIPI to PI wiring. 

Clean edge connections on the side port bus. 

1 hour ago, jedimatt42 said:

CALL TIPI doesn't interact with the cart port address space. So if you end up running code there (the garbled fg99 menu) then the TIPICFG program was garbled during the load or after the load due to memory or bus issues, and running the corrupted code causes the crash.

So try to eliminate whatever you can, and make sure things are well powered. The side port sam's needs it's power. Maybe remove the fg99, then the crashes will be more likely to crash out to title screen. Then remove the speech synth... 

Double check good connection on the TIPI to PI wiring. 

Clean edge connections on the side port bus. 

Will do tomorrow and report back when done with all of those steps. 

2 hours ago, dhe said:

After the upgrade to 2.28 - tipi returns free used as if it's a floppy - using both force command and DM2K.

I was able to copy about 5MB worth of stuff from the IDE card, so I suspect it's a reporting issue?

tipi_fs_2.28.jpg

Yep. It lies on purpose so it doesn't break old software that couldn't cope with gigabytes. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

Yep. It lies on purpose so it doesn't break old software that couldn't cope with gigabytes. 

There is actually a feature to allow you to control this:  https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki/PI.CONFIG#sector-count

But control just means setting what the 'total' is for reporting. There is no simulated disk or disk image with TIPI, so sector counts just don't make sense. 

The actual scheme used is whatever integer value you put in the SECTOR_COUNT config setting, with a minimum value of 2, and a max value of 9999 (2 radix 100 digits). If the value is not a number, it falls back on a total sector count of 1440. 

Used is also always 2. The TI Filesystem doesn't report used, it reports remaining and total. Since total is a lie, remaining is also a lie of total - 2. 

TIPI is to TI disks drives as 'simile' is to 'facsimile'

If there is a use case for something more truthful in free space reporting, then I'd be open to improving this. My initial thought that I've never found a use for, would be to if free space was less than the SECTOR_COUNT setting, report something accurate. But then, probably the operating system will crash out if you breath on it with less than a 3meg of space left (9999 sectors is about 2.5meg). So the scale would need to be different... Like reporting in gigabytes... but then the hardcore 99er would get upset that it reports only 12 free... thinking this is sectors. Seems like doing anything more than the existing configurable lie is just a lose-lose situation. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I've updated the TIPI TI-Artist Plus mouse driver - https://jedimatt42.com/downloads.html, specifically: https://jedimatt42.com/downloads/tipi-ti-artist-plus-mouse-20220102.zip

In reference to this discussion over here: 

It was fairly painful on real hardware. I was attempting to scale the mouse movement in the driver, but that didn't work very well. So stopped doing that, and it seems considerably more natural in motion. Also added a right-button meaning, that restricts motion to 1 pixel at a time.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Vorticon said:

Matt, what do you mean by this?

"Copy aside EXTDSR to JOYST2 (it is different than existing JOYST)

Copy TIPIM to EXTDSR"

Are you saying that we should rename EXTDSR to JOYST2 and TIPIM to EXTDSR?

If that works for you, then that'll work. 

I'm saying you may want to keep the shipping EXTDSR as it has slightly different joystick behavior than the built in joystick ( or at least my former self came to that conclusion, or the file called JOYST ??? ) - So now if you already have a JOYST2 it is probably that original EXTDSR, and you won't want to replace it with your current EXTDSR if that has the mouse behavior... but who can tell by looking at the files... 

Then I like to have all the drivers well named in the INSCEBOT directory. So I want a file named TIPIM in there. 

And then, so TIPIM is loaded by default, I want a copy of it named EXTDSR in there as well. 

But I was trying to use English, instead of commands in those instructions. So however you get there is perfectly fine. 

Force Command is maybe the only 4A file manager that lets you copy a file to the same directory with a different name without using an intermediary disk.  

[1000.TIPI.DISKS.INSCEBOT.]
$ COPY EXTDSR JOYST2
copying TIPI.DISKS.INSCEBOT.EXTDSR to TIPI.DISKS.INSCEBOT.JOYST2
$ COPY TIPIM EXTDSR
copying TIPI.DISKS.INSCEBOT.TIPIM to TIPI.DISKS.INCEBOT.EXTDSR
$ XB LOAD

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

fyi I was able to get TIPI working via emulation with js99er and an actual PI2w on my network over webhook..  

It seems to work great..   Matt is updating the readme documentation to include the details.

This allows for TI emulation on my network with TIPI without the crappy qemu pi emulation.. (slow, limited ram, crashy) 

Greg

• Like 1

On 1/3/2022 at 10:25 AM, jedimatt42 said:

But I was trying to use English, instead of commands in those instructions. So however you get there is perfectly fine. 

Yes, English is tricky business. I tried a modern to old English translator and got this:

Counterfeit aside extdsr to joyst2 (it is  divers than existing joyst)

counterfeit tipim to extdsr

Still clear as mud... ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/3/2022 at 12:21 PM, arcadeshopper said:

fyi I was able to get TIPI working via emulation with js99er and an actual PI2w on my network over webhook..  

It seems to work great..   Matt is updating the readme documentation to include the details.

This allows for TI emulation on my network with TIPI without the crappy qemu pi emulation.. (slow, limited ram, crashy) 

Greg

We just get alternative crashy behavior that is under investigation. A.k.a. I do not recommend use at this time. 

• Like 3

Hello:

Just got sidecar with TIPI (Pi Zero W connected) and SAMS, each with a separate power supply. SAMS runs 32k programs fine.

I downloaded https://jedimatt42.com/downloads/tipi-sdimage-buster-2.28.zip and flashed it to an 8GB drive, which I put in the Pi Zero W.

However, "CALL TIPI" in TI BASIC takes a long time to load--I've waited ten minutes without anything happening. I still have not seen the Configure tool. Is this to be expected for the first run?

Sorry for the novice question.

34 minutes ago, Eagle4Christ said:

Hello:

Just got sidecar with TIPI (Pi Zero W connected) and SAMS, each with a separate power supply. SAMS runs 32k programs fine.

I downloaded https://jedimatt42.com/downloads/tipi-sdimage-buster-2.28.zip and flashed it to an 8GB drive, which I put in the Pi Zero W.

However, "CALL TIPI" in TI BASIC takes a long time to load--I've waited ten minutes without anything happening. I still have not seen the Configure tool. Is this to be expected for the first run?

Sorry for the novice question.

No. It should be fairly immediate. 

I would double check orientation of cabling/connection with the PI and TIPI .

• Like 1