IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

Just now, RXB said:

LOL if that was true how would I be talking to you now?

I think Greg helped me last time and we had to go into PI OS and it was a long drawn out process to get it to work and took like 4 tries.

I have phone service not associated with my local Internet... that's one way.

Ok..well good that you're local network is working...

My pi is hard wired, because I just don't like my slow WiFi..

• Like 1

I've had one pi a year ago that just up and stopped booting no matter what SD card I used, and, of course had to buy another... then recently I've noticed prices going up up up..so I ordered a pi a guy had sitting around, so I'll now have a reserve.

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, GDMike said:

I have phone service not associated with my local Internet... that's one way.

Ok..well good that you're local network is working...

My pi is hard wired, because I just don't like my slow WiFi..

1Gig Ethernet on Comcast and WIFI 1201/1201 (Mbps)

• Like 1

I would try downloading the latest SD card image to a different card and see if that works.  

Another possibility is that the WiFi doesn’t work on your Pi. I had a Pi3b where the WiFi chip started overheating(burning to the touch) and the WiFi stopped working.  That pi is probably over 5 years old, but the WiFi just died in the last week.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, broettger said:

I would try downloading the latest SD card image to a different card and see if that works.  

Another possibility is that the WiFi doesn’t work on your Pi. I had a Pi3b where the WiFi chip started overheating(burning to the touch) and the WiFi stopped working.  That pi is probably over 5 years old, but the WiFi just died in the last week.  

I definitely have to use a fan on my pi3 and there is a Life limit on SD cards. There a is a way to connect and boot from HD. But I haven't looked into that 

Edited by GDMike

I post about updates in here regularly.

We can only reasonably support the latest version, and latest SD-Card image. 

There is a backup and restore mechanism, https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki/Backup-Restore, but you have to be at 2.28 or later... 

--- 

If you are not getting an IP Address in the display of CALL TIPI, or you are, but that IP address doesn't work when you try to use it directly, such as http://<that-ip>:9900, then try to reconfigure the wifi:

PLEASE READ ALL OF THIS BEFORE EXECUTING ANY OF IT, I DO NOT KNOW IF ANY OF IT APPLIES - THESE STEPS INVOLVE ZERO USE OF LINUX

You can shut the PI down from CALL TIPI without having a network connection.

Then you can remove the SD-Card.

Place the SD-Card into a Windows machine.

One of the drive letters that a Windows machine will then typically mount will be called 'boot'.

On this drive you can place a file named 'wpa_supplicant.conf' ( I cannot tell you exactly what drive letter it will be, that is up to your windows machine )

Use notepad or some windows text editor to create the wpa_supplicant.conf file... it should look like (similar but different) this:

country=us
update_config=1
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant

network={
 scan_ssid=1
 ssid="RXBSSID-CHANGEME"
 psk="YOUR-WIFI-PASSWORD-CHANGEME"
}

save the file, safely eject the drive. Remove the sd-card, and re-insert into the PI. Power the PI back on. 

Run CALL TIPI from the 4A, and see if you now get an IP Address presented.

Some home networks work with 'tipi.local' as the hostname better than just 'tipi'. 

At this point you may be able to manually back up your data to the Windows machine. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, GDMike said:

Rich, does your pi have a fan or are using a pi W

Sorry outside just got back.

I have a PI 3+ using a 128Gig SANS SD micro card

And yea it has a fan on it with power supply that came with PI 3+

Card is same age as PI 3+ bought both in 2018 but both are off most of time (not running).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RXB said:

The PC no longer sees PI on network as the PI will not log on to the network no matter how many times I try.

I give it the SSD and password and upon reboot I get 

[FAILED] Failed to start The Apache Server.

and farther down I get:

[FAILED] Failed to start TI99/4A DSR RESET Service.

everybody gets "Failed to start The Apache Server" cause I don't even know why it tries to start... it isn't used.. might not be installed even... just a mistake on an old version ...  

"Failed to start TI99/4A DSR RESET Service" is MUCH MORE CONCERNING. There is almost nothing to this service... it watches one GPIO pin via python, and runs a command if that pin goes low. 

This is a sign that you may need to re-flash the sd card. It pretty much implies you have file corruption due to any number of problems... and that'll manifest as any number of other problems. 

• Like 3

On 4/4/2022 at 7:58 PM, jedimatt42 said:

My preferred approach to this is have you all share with me the DSK file that has the TI file names that cause trouble, and I fix the TIPI software to not have trouble with them.  I'd rather do that than suggest that some rails should be used that we know various legacy programs will not comply with. There is some replication of code between the tipi.service and the tipiweb.service and then the tipiweb.service has to deal with shipping names to your browser and back. Plenty of room for me to have a mistake that I can fix.

I have a non-price gouging observation related to an earlier comment. 

When I transfer source files with a "/" from a disk image using TI99Dir (see screenshot, left window), the target filename replaces the "/" with an upside-down underscore (right window).  The filename also shows up this way in File Explorer.  I confirmed that the filename is converted in this manner on a Windows drive as well, so the character conversion/replacement is not a TIPI issue.   Why the "/" converts to a character we cannot type is probably a question for @F.G. Kaal

but I am sharing it here as it may be the cause of similar questions/issues.

image.thumb.png.1e4cf1d4a78f70de2d4beb41821c0329.png

When I go to 'play' with the files on the real hardware, the filename shows up as encoded.  The filename isn't >10 characters long so I wasn't expecting the encoding, though I wasn't expecting the upside-down underscore, either.  

image.png.178d628caf5380039c02ac83a7b1e804.png

I have a non-price gouging observation related to an earlier comment. 

When I transfer source files with a "/" from a disk image using TI99Dir (see screenshot, left window), the target filename replaces the "/" with an upside-down underscore (right window).  The filename also shows up this way in File Explorer.  I confirmed that the filename is converted in this manner on a Windows drive as well, so the character conversion/replacement is not a TIPI issue.   Why the "/" converts to a character we cannot type is probably a question for [mention=37986]F.G. Kaal[/mention]
but I am sharing it here as it may be the cause of similar questions/issues.

image.thumb.png.1e4cf1d4a78f70de2d4beb41821c0329.png

When I go to 'play' with the files on the real hardware, the filename shows up as encoded.  The filename isn't >10 characters long so I wasn't expecting the encoding, though I wasn't expecting the upside-down underscore, either.  
image.png.178d628caf5380039c02ac83a7b1e804.png

Tidir follows Fred Kaal's standard for filename translation

He made it for hdx and his emulator well before TIPI was designed..

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Ok got new image downloaded and installed on TIPI and runs but how the heck do you put files on it, tried to set up network drive but cannot access TIPI???

Can see it on network but no way to set up a Network drive to it?

And the TIPI Browser sucks as it only shows what is on the Directory it has but not allowed to copy anything to it????

Do I have to copy every single file 1 at a time when there are hundreds of files?

• Like 1

Rich,

If you already know and have tried the following then just ignore this...  ?

Normally,  typing "\\tipi" in the explorer address will show the "pdfs" and "tipi" folders.

Sometimes my windows machine does not initially see my TIPI share.

When that happens I use the tipi's IP address.  I find this through the CALL TIPI command and/or by checking my router's attached device list.

In my case my tipi's IP address is "192.168.1.30".  I type \\192.168.1.30 and it shows the folders below. 

Of course, clicking on the "tipi" shows my tipi files and folders.

"image.thumb.png.f9be5cbb91f9bc9477af890f65512a71.png

For whatever reason, the "\\tipi" usually works after the using IP address and can be mapped.

Wish you luck!

David G

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, RXB said:

Ok got new image downloaded and installed on TIPI and runs but how the heck do you put files on it, tried to set up network drive but cannot access TIPI??? …

I have four other computers… the Ubuntu 20.04 and the Windows 10 machines can’t map/mount the TIPI, but they aren’t properly mapping/mounting my “MyCloud” NAS any longer, either. A MacBook Air and a Windows 7 machine work perfectly. I can drag and drop a whole folder onto the TIPI, move files in and out of folders, etc. I wonder if it may be related to changes in Win10 and Ubuntu’s handling of certain types of partition formats following updates, but I’m still trying to figure it out. (The Ubuntu computer stopped recognizing my 250GB thumb-drive also). My issues may not be related, but just reporting my experiences.

• Like 3

I have four other computers… the Ubuntu 20.04 and the Windows 10 machines can’t map/mount the TIPI, but they aren’t properly mapping/mounting my “MyCloud” NAS any longer, either. A MacBook Air and a Windows 7 machine work perfectly. I can drag and drop a whole folder onto the TIPI, move files in and out of folders, etc. I wonder if it may be related to changes in Win10 and Ubuntu’s handling of certain types of partition formats following updates, but I’m still trying to figure it out. (The Ubuntu computer stopped recognizing my 250GB thumb-drive also). My issues may not be related, but just reporting my experiences.
This is your router doing this try TIPI.local

• Like 2

Ok got new image downloaded and installed on TIPI and runs but how the heck do you put files on it, tried to set up network drive but cannot access TIPI???
And the TIPI Browser sucks as it only shows what is on the Directory it has but not allowed to copy anything to it????
Do I have to copy every single file 1 at a time when there are hundreds of files?
The TIPI browser do you mean the web page in your browser?

There's a button that says upload file at the top of the screen if you want to upload a file

If you call tipi on the TI I assume set up your Wi-Fi and got an IP address and did all the updates

Mapping a folder in Windows is how you copy files \\tipi in explorer

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

The TIPI browser do you mean the web page in your browser?

There's a button that says upload file at the top of the screen if you want to upload a file

If you call tipi on the TI I assume set up your Wi-Fi and got an IP address and did all the updates

Mapping a folder in Windows is how you copy files \\tipi in explorer

Yea the TIPI in browser used to download and upload files, but now it will not allow more than one file to copied at a time, which makes it absolutely worthless.

@RXB

Your description of events is wanting. You let your frustration get in the way. It is difficult to be interested in offering you support.  

The web-ui ( http://tipi.local:9900 ) 'uploads files' / 'choose files' <- (plural) button allows multi-selection of files, however this is somewhat dependent on your chosen web-browser. I tried it just now and it worked fine with Microsoft Edge. 

Using a protocol like sftp or scp is reliable.

The TIPI comes configured to provide a SAMBA network share named 'TIPI'... so hostname 'tipi', and share named 'TIPI' and usually in a windows file explorer window, going to what is now labelled 'Quick Access'  you can type in something like \\tipi.local\TIPI\ and press enter, and it will get you there. With Windows 11, they are trying to disable access to uncredentialed file sharing. So now it pops up a request for the user name and password, but it can be a little slow, as the PI is trying to share in a way that allows anonymous access.  This is a recent change by Microsoft. I will probably have to update the Samba configuration to accommodate Microsoft's point of view.

A lot of this issue is dependent on you, and your home network.

People are trying to help. 

• Like 2