IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

In windows, file explorer, type "\\tipi" and it will pop up. 

Always does for me anyway. Even if I just reimaged a SD card and booted first time tipi pi. Then I copy my backed up files and folders into the share. Then I call TIPI in basic and I create the folders and point the drives, dsk1,2..etc and"W" to write it. And whoooollllaaaaa.  "Voila"..done.

.I'll try to do a video next time...

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Why the "/" converts to a character we cannot type is probably a question for @F.G. Kaal

Read the manual of Ti99Dir and see menu option Configuration -> Option -> [ ] Enable Ti994wq and Ti99Hdx compatibly;

Enable Ti994w and Ti99Hdx compatibility

Select this option to make Ti99Dir compatible with the emulator Ti994w and the HDX server Ti99Hdx.

The characters '\ / : * ? " < > |' are not allowed in a PC file name. By default Ti99Dir will replace these characters by a '@' character.
However, when Ti994w and Ti99Hdx creates a PC file name out of a TI file name and one of these characters are encountered then the most significant bit of that character will be set. This will result in a PC file name with one ore more strange characters but at least the file name is unique and Ti994w and Ti99Hdx is able to find the PC file containing the TI file.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, F.G. Kaal said:

Read the manual of Ti99Dir and see menu option Configuration -> Option -> [ ] Enable Ti994wq and Ti99Hdx compatibly;

Enable Ti994w and Ti99Hdx compatibility

Select this option to make Ti99Dir compatible with the emulator Ti994w and the HDX server Ti99Hdx.

The characters '\ / : * ? " < > |' are not allowed in a PC file name. By default Ti99Dir will replace these characters by a '@' character.
However, when Ti994w and Ti99Hdx creates a PC file name out of a TI file name and one of these characters are encountered then the most significant bit of that character will be set. This will result in a PC file name with one ore more strange characters but at least the file name is unique and Ti994w and Ti99Hdx is able to find the PC file containing the TI file.

Thanks.  This makes sense.  I didn't read about this option, since I currently am not using Ti994w or Ti99Hdx.   I guess the high-bit character is what triggers the TIPI to perform the encoding shown in my second screenshot.   I unchecked the option, and now the "/" is replaced with the "@" character.

On 4/9/2022 at 8:11 PM, GDMike said:

In windows, file explorer, type "\\tipi" and it will pop up. 

Always does for me anyway.

Thank you! I’d tried just about every way I could think of (even using the IP address) but missed this one. To get it to work, I had to ignore what Windows was “offering” when it showed the share and then refused to connect, and instead treat it as if it had never been discovered on the network.

Update on the Ubuntu computer not being able to connect to TIPI in the “Files” app: Similarly to Windows, I had to ignore the TIPI connection that Ubuntu “discovered” on the network since it wouldn’t connect, and create a “new server” connection using “smb://TIPI” which I could then mount. I suppose the connection it discovered wasn’t labeled as a Samba share so it was refusing to connect to it. Little things but aggravating. All working now.

Edited by XLERB
Updated
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

It is possible they were corrupted

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

No the files and programs worked fine in Classic99, wish I could get me mapped drive to work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GDMike said:

Have you reimaged the SD card or better yet, reimaged another sd card?

No after some checking it appears the TI99/4A gets wonky on own. I am thinking the Final GROM is the issue.

Running a 4Gig SD card which is freaking old as hell but where would I find another that small? 

No one sells any smaller then 32Gig anymore!

I do have a 16Gig SD but jeez it is older than the 4Gig one, I think!

How come my 2017 FinalGROM will not use anything bigger then 4Gig?

On 4/10/2022 at 5:02 PM, InsaneMultitasker said:

Thanks.  This makes sense.  I didn't read about this option, since I currently am not using Ti994w or Ti99Hdx.   I guess the high-bit character is what triggers the TIPI to perform the encoding shown in my second screenshot.   I unchecked the option, and now the "/" is replaced with the "@" character.

This is something from the very first TI99/4A emulator I saw from Edward Swartz (V9T9 in DOS) and also used since the very first version of Ti99Dir (also for DOS 6.0). This featare/handycap is also mentioned in the help from Ti99Hdx:

Spoiler

Compatibility

A filename for the TI99/4A can contain any character except the ‘.’ or ‘ ‘ and has a maximum length of 10 characters.

A filename for Windows can contain any character except the \ / : * ? “ < > | and has a maximum of 255 characters.

When Ti99Hdx tries to open, load or save a file, the TI filename is converted to a filename compatible for Windows. If a TI filename contains one of the characters \ / : * ? “ < > | a decimal value of 128 (or the most significant bit is set) is added to that character. A TI filename like A->B will be shown as A-¾B in the Windows file system. Also, there is no difference in upper and lowercase filenames, thus A-¾B is the same file as a-¾b. Sometimes a TI file like E/A is shown as E»A instead of E¯A in the Windows file system. To rename a file like this to the correct version the alt-key should be hold down and the correct 4-digit decimal number should be entered at the numeric keypad. A 3-digit number doesn’t necessarily give the same result is a 4-digit number (so / should be translated to Alt 0175 which is the ¯ character and not to Alt 175 which is the » character).

Character Input as

\  
Alt 0220

/  
Alt 0175

:  
Alt 0186

Alt 0170

?  
Alt 0191

Alt 0162

<  
Alt 0188

>  
Alt 0190

|  
Alt 0252

• Like 1

Linux (unfortunately) can handle all those funny Windows restrictions in a filename... except for the forward slash (POSIX directory separator). The filenames can be harder to use from a shell (bash, command prompt, etc) but programmatically they work just fine... and you just need to escape or quote them in a shell to get over their trickiness. 

Test transcript:

bysslinux ➜  filename_limits cat test.py
import os

names = [
#    'blah\/',
    'blah\\',
    'blah:',
    'blah*',
    'blah?',
    'blah"',
    'blah<',
    'blah>',
    'blah|',
]

def test_name(name):
    print(f"testing filename: {name}")
    with open(name, 'w') as f:
        f.write(name)

for name in names:
    test_name(name)

bysslinux ➜  filename_limits python ./test.py
testing filename: blah\
testing filename: blah:
testing filename: blah*
testing filename: blah?
testing filename: blah"
testing filename: blah<
testing filename: blah>
testing filename: blah|
bysslinux ➜  filename_limits ls -l
total 36
-rw-rw-r-- 1 matthew matthew   5 Apr 11 15:06 'blah"'
-rw-rw-r-- 1 matthew matthew   5 Apr 11 15:06 'blah*'
-rw-rw-r-- 1 matthew matthew   5 Apr 11 15:06  blah:
-rw-rw-r-- 1 matthew matthew   5 Apr 11 15:06 'blah<'
-rw-rw-r-- 1 matthew matthew   5 Apr 11 15:06 'blah>'
-rw-rw-r-- 1 matthew matthew   5 Apr 11 15:06 'blah?'
-rw-rw-r-- 1 matthew matthew   5 Apr 11 15:06 'blah\'
-rw-rw-r-- 1 matthew matthew   5 Apr 11 15:06 'blah|'
-rw-rw-r-- 1 matthew matthew 300 Apr 11 15:04  test.py

After you copy loose-name-altered files over to the TIPI, you should be able to simply use 4A software like DM2K to rename the file to what it was originally supposed to be. If the filename is getting the '`' + hash name treatment, then the TIPI web-ui should show the unhashed (long) unicode name.  

You can also usually use Ti99Dir to create a DSK image with all the names tidily what you want encased in a 4A filesystem, and then drop that on the TIPI and it should preserve the names... 

So many options, too much to know. 

• Like 2

On 4/5/2022 at 7:55 PM, broettger said:

It looks like the communication is not working.  :(

The values for M5FF9 and M5FFB in Easy Bug did not match the TIPI was writing.

The reads on the TIPI side were always 00, even after setting the values in Easy Bug.

I tried this with both my Pi Zero and Pi 3B.

I'd just like to thank @broettger for his exceptional patience and cooperation in diagnosing what proved to be a true hardware failure. 

That is probably the last CPLD I can repair. I no longer have any ( well, one for myself left ) CPLDs. Buying one off orders of them becomes expensive with one off shipping and low availability. 

So be careful.

• Like 4

@GDMike - A little note, there is no reason to unpack the tipi sd-image archive before picking it in belenaEtcher. Etcher will do that for you.

Update 2.37 - No functionality, but split the gpio library from the websocket library, and a long overdue SD card image refresh, since the prior one was 2.28 ( which took quite a while to upgrade on my PI Zero W ) 

I have a very alpha docker container image up on dockerhub : https://hub.docker.com/repository/docker/jedimatt42/tipi-websocket  Lots of missing functionality, but it works with js99er... I haven't had a chance to try MAME yet... 

I'm still working a refresh of the QEMU emulation download... My website probably has a broken link for that right now, as I'm having connectivity issues getting it uploaded. You can use the stand alone image, you just have to get in there and run the tipi/emulation/emu_config.sh and answer y/n/n  

There is also a refreshed image in the tipi-emulation bundle, that should match the instructions for use now. ( well except, I turned the emulation/websocket mode on by default in that image )

https://jedimatt42.com/downloads.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks like I made a mistake, and the sdimage.img that is in the tipi-emulation did not save the change to enable emulation by default... So you will have to login as the tipi user when QEMU ever so slowly gets you there, and then go into the /home/tipi/tipi/emulation directory and run ./emu_config.sh, answer y/n/n  if you are NOT running the NFS server... or y/y/n if you ARE running the NFS server.

Good enough

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dhe said:

A bit of grepping - looks like /home/tipi/tipi/version.txt

pi@gtipi:/home/tipi/tipi $ cat version.txt
version=2.35
reldate=2022-03-20

If you are logging in as 'pi' then I've done something wrong... if you are logging in to the PI, then I've done something wrong. My goal is that nobody ever needs to log into the PI.  

Normally the version is determined by running CALL TIPI from TI BASIC. 

What situation are you in that you could not do that?

• Like 1

If I recall, on 2.35 software, to enable the websocket mode

touch /home/TIPI/.emulation 

Then 

sudo systemctl restart tipi.service

Then you could trigger upgrade the normal TIPI way. If it seems to hang for more than 30 minutes, you could tail -F /var/log/daemon.log while it is upgrading to wait until the services have restarted, then reset the 4A/mame/geneve.

Or, start again with the 2.37 sd image and use the emu_config.sh

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1