IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

14 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

No. That might get you to some form of Raspberry PI OS bullseye, but then required libraries would be removed out from under, and you'd still be on the 'buster' branch of the actual TIPI software. And I just found out I hosed that branch up such that there can be no more updates delivered through it. That was a mistake, but it is fine, cause I can't support 2 branches of the code anyway.. 

Good to know. It's not bad to start fresh every now and then. Thanks for the great work!

To migrate to TIPI 3.x

If you TIPI 2.x is does not offer the 'Tools' -> 'Backup & Restore' menu:

- copy your tipi.local\tipi windows share contents to your modern computer.

- copy your tipi.local\pdfs windows share contents to your modern computer.

- if desired, copy the /home/tipi/tipi.config & /home/tipi/.tipivars data & /home/tipi/

- install the new sd card image from https://jedimatt42.com/downloads/tipi-sdimage-bullseye-3.1.zip

- configure the tipi fresh as in the instructions on this page: https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki/tipipeb-installation

If your TIPI 2.x does have 'Tools' -> 'Backup & Restore' menu:

- go to the backup & restore page: http://tipi.local:9900/backup

- press 'Backup Now'

- download the backup file to your modern computer.

- install the new sd card image from https://jedimatt42.com/downloads/tipi-sdimage-bullseye-3.1.zip

- If you backup is not so huge that you need to grow the linux filesystem on the TIPI first, then

- while still on your modern computer, copy the backup tipi-backupXXXXXX.tar.gz file you created to the 'boot' partition on the sdcard.

- eject the sd card safely, and install in your PI.

- the backup should restore automatically during bootup. It will likely reboot once as well.

- Else, boot the PI off the new sd card image

- configure the network via 'CALL TIPI' so you can get to the web-ui, or if you are special, setup a /boot/wpa_supplicant.conf before booting the PI

- update to TIPI 3.3

- go to the http://tipi.local:9900/backup page, and upload your backup file

- select your backup file, and press Restore Backup

• Like 2

I'm still running TIPI v2.40 and plan to stay there. I'm running the older DSR ROM too.

Unless newer updates bring some kind of a "must-have" feature that i think i can't live without, i'm staying put.

As long as i can use my TIPI to load and save programs, i'm good; everything else is fluff...

Ok maybe not everything, but really, acting as a disk replacement was my main reason to purchase, but i've been playing around with the PI.CLOCK device a bit, just because.

Edited by jrhodes
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

im gonna add a step to matt's instructions..  

once you boot up 3.1 and call tipi and put in your network, use TIPICFG to update 3.1 to 3.3 before trying to restore a 2.x backup file so your restore will work :) 

Thanks! I revised my previous post... 

• Like 2

TIPI 3.4 Update

- improved the Backup & Restore page in WEB-UI to prevent downloading a backup while the archive is still building.

- added 'Tools' -> 'Emulation Mode' page in WEB-UI to allow switching configuration for use with the emulators, vs a real 4A.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I have unbroken my ability to patch the 2.40 line, (thanks to @arcadeshopper having so many TIPIs deployed) so users starting with the 2.37 sd image provided by some vendors should be fine to update to 2.40 with the normal update mechanism. That is where that road ends. 

The 3.x line is the new road, for so many 1st and 3rd party reasons.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

TIPI 3.4 Update

Wow! I imaged a new card with 3.1 and hit “Upgrade” and it went to 3.4 before I’d even seen this post. Rapid progress! And all my files got restored perfectly. One nice touch- In the “Files” tab on the webUI, I like the link-trail to “You are here” to replace the old ftp-style “one level up” button.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just made the jump over to the Buster image and that is using an external USB drive on the Raspberry PI.  I bought a second (spare) Mokin M.2 NVMe & NGFF Enclosure with a 1 TB NVMe 1.3 PCI SSD and burned the Buster Image to it.  I did not want to chance some kind of issue since I had the external SSD drive with version 2.40 on it and wanted to make sure all was well before I fully committed.

Prior to the drive switch, I saved my PI.CONFIG file to another device.

I then burned the buster image after using the Windows Drive Manager to assign a device letter to the drive when it was plugged into my Windows computer.

Powered down the PI, swapped drives, and things booted without issue.

I went into TIPICFG and added my WIFI name and PWD, and rebooted TIPICFG.  It recognized there was an upgrade that took maybe all of 20 seconds to complete and rebooted again.

I then telneted into the PI (localhost:23) using the tipi name and pwd, and expanded the drive to the 1 TB limit.

Following that, I then went back into my Windows system and dragged all the files I had previously backed up to a Windows folder, and started the copying process of 1.47 GB of files over to the PI.  Windows tells me that is going to take just over 1 hour to complete.

I have a few things I want to test with MDOS, but thus far, everything looks good.

• Like 3

@jedimatt42,

I have seen a behavior with the latest Buster image and version I have not seen before.  I tried telnetting to cosmikdebris.ddns.net:2323 .

Previously, no problem if I could not connect to a telnet site.  I tried connecting with a windows telnet client, and I got a "Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed" .  Note, I tried port 2323 not 23, so not 100% sure if something is going on at the other end.

MyTerm for the TIPI locks up.  I have to power cycle the Geneve to get access.  If I try to do a DIR on the TIPI after the Geneve power cycle, the TIPI is still locked up.

This last time, I was able to do a sudo reboot now to reboot the PI.  Before I had realized the PI had locked up, I had rebooted the Geneve and tried that telnet site multiple times.  That time, I had to power cycle the PI as I could not use my USB keyboard to the PI to type in the sudo reboot now.

I don't know if you can duplicate any behavior on your end or not.

Ok, I don't name these things, but TIPI 3.x is based on newish Raspberry PI OS, which is based on the upstream Debian Bullseye OS. TIPI 2.x is based on old Raspberry PI OS, which is similarly based on Debian Buster.

So if anyone has upgraded to TIPI 3.x and Buster, they have done something unholy. 

The TIPI community should probably not talk about Buster and Bullseye, and just stick to the version number. This is my mistake for pushing the insides where only the outsides belong. 

5 hours ago, 9640News said:

@jedimatt42,

I have seen a behavior with the latest Buster image and version I have not seen before.  I tried telnetting to cosmikdebris.ddns.net:2323 .

Previously, no problem if I could not connect to a telnet site.  I tried connecting with a windows telnet client, and I got a "Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed" .  Note, I tried port 2323 not 23, so not 100% sure if something is going on at the other end.

MyTerm for the TIPI locks up.  I have to power cycle the Geneve to get access.  If I try to do a DIR on the TIPI after the Geneve power cycle, the TIPI is still locked up.

This last time, I was able to do a sudo reboot now to reboot the PI.  Before I had realized the PI had locked up, I had rebooted the Geneve and tried that telnet site multiple times.  That time, I had to power cycle the PI as I could not use my USB keyboard to the PI to type in the sudo reboot now.

I don't know if you can duplicate any behavior on your end or not.

Locked up is a bit vague, until you say things like you can't even type at the USB keyboard... 

Socket connections that are firewalled off can lead to the 2 minute timeout in the client situation as the host pretends to not even be there for ports it doesn't want to respond too... 

I never have a keyboard on my PI, as the TIPI PI is meant to be used headless. The new kernel module may be in a hot loop, on purpose, which could have caused this behavior... We should be able to A-B test the same issue in emulation mode and not have my kernel module involved... 

8 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

Ok, I don't name these things, but TIPI 3.x is based on newish Raspberry PI OS, which is based on the upstream Debian Bullseye OS. TIPI 2.x is based on old Raspberry PI OS, which is similarly based on Debian Buster.

So if anyone has upgraded to TIPI 3.x and Buster, they have done something unholy. 

The TIPI community should probably not talk about Buster and Bullseye, and just stick to the version number. This is my mistake for pushing the insides where only the outsides belong. 

I used your latest image. As far as Bullseye and Buster, I thought I referenced what folks were using. 

• Like 1

Please pardon me if I am being thick. I have a PEB system with TI 32k, TI disk controller, TI rs232 and TIPI. The TIPI is set to cru1000 and the TI disk controller is fixed at cru 1100. Everything works great except for some games and programs that look for dsk1 always at cru1100. Is the only way to achieve full compatibility is to set thr TIPI at cru11000 and ditch the floppy drives and TI disc controller?

Thanks

Just now, stagemanbob said:

Please pardon me if I am being thick. I have a PEB system with TI 32k, TI disk controller, TI rs232 and TIPI. The TIPI is set to cru1000 and the TI disk controller is fixed at cru 1100. Everything works great except for some games and programs that look for dsk1 always at cru1100. Is the only way to achieve full compatibility is to set thr TIPI at cru11000 and ditch the floppy drives and TI disc controller?

Thanks

"some games and programs" don't follow the TI disk controller standards, they are talking directly to the controller at the cru they expect to find it at.. 

yes you can ditch the TI controller and put TIPI at 1100 to mitigate this, but some programs will still have issues as they talk to the controller hw not the DSR.  Anything using the DSR should work with TIPI at 1000 or 1100 

2 minutes ago, stagemanbob said:

Thanks

I saw Greg's post.  Are there some specific programs of concern?  If there is, maybe someone has a solution.

7 minutes ago, 9640News said:

I saw Greg's post.  Are there some specific programs of concern?  If there is, maybe someone has a solution.

yes please list what you are trying to do specifically and the errors/logs  related   tipilog is good

obvously specialty disk copy programs wont work for instance  or ti's disk managers

Thanks for the quick replies. Right now it is the Infocom disks from whtech's ftp site. They work properly on 1100.dsk1 but the loaders fail on 1000.dsk2 Same with the atari collection of games ( although they load just fine idividually with forcecommand on 1000.dsk1.

For nostalgia reasons I would like to keep my floppies in the mix, but I have a couple of shoe boxes of diskes that I'd like to pu on the tip "hard drive".

Too bad we can't change cru on the fly. I have included my tipi log

Cheers!

TIPI.mhtml

8 minutes ago, stagemanbob said:

Thanks for the quick replies. Right now it is the Infocom disks from whtech's ftp site. They work properly on 1100.dsk1 but the loaders fail on 1000.dsk2 Same with the atari collection of games ( although they load just fine idividually with forcecommand on 1000.dsk1.

For nostalgia reasons I would like to keep my floppies in the mix, but I have a couple of shoe boxes of diskes that I'd like to pu on the tip "hard drive".

Too bad we can't change cru on the fly. I have included my tipi log

Cheers!

TIPI.mhtml 641.95 kB · 0 downloads

the infocom xb loader is poorly written, use mine.. its on ftp.whtech.com 

http://ftp.whtech.com/Users/Gregory McGill/INFOCOMLOADER/LOAD

Having a ball with TIPI. Infocom and Atari games are working. Mega Menu, Finalgrom, and ForceCommand are a hoot. I purchesd and installe the eprom for the TIPI PEB board and every thing works as usual. I notice there are now files in my TIPI disk directories that are /sectors. What can I do with them. What new features do I have to play with and mess up? Inquiring minds want to know.

Edited by stagemanbob
  • Like 1