IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

There are some programs that start their scans at 0x1200 to skip the disk controller, then wrap back around to 0x1000 and 0x1100 purposely, so that other disk-related devices have a chance of responding first. This had to do with other conflicts that people were experiencing with ramdisks and the various other controllers. Archiver is one prominent example of a program that starts scanning at 0x1200. I don't think this was practice was used too often.

Interesting.. still works tho and archiver won't work on tipi i believe either way

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

1000 makes it answer DSK1-4 before the disk controller

1800 makes it answer AFTER the disk controller (ie, never)

I put a jumper out of my pbox so I could leave it at 1000 for most applications and switch it to 1800 when I need to...

Hey, that's a good idea! :thumbsup: Since I removed my HDX, I have two open rocker switches with nothing to do. I just might hook them up for 1000 and 1800 respectively next time I open up my system... whenever that will be, I dunno.

gallery_35324_1027_93522.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting.. still works tho and archiver won't work on tipi i believe either way

alas as we know, level 2 constraints make for challenges when two cards can respond to the same device number and subprogram. Just so I'm clear, does Archiver work or fail with the sidecar tipi? I would assume the former. (Sometimes hard to know which one we are all referring to)

The sideport TIPI and TipiPEB are 100% the same as far as the 4A is concerned. You can use peb-splitter tech to run a sideport TIPI with a PEB's floppy controllers and HFDC whatevers, and get yourself into the same problem set. (or solution set if it is working to your expectations, depends on your perspective.)

They use exactly the same program for the CPLD, and exactly the same DSR ROM.

It should never be a question of which TIPI, but rather "what else is the system comprised of?"

-M@

I do not recall reading that anyone is using a sidecar TIPI together with another disk device. Prior TIPI distinctions aside I'll add that possibility to my considerations and reframe my original question: does Archiver work with a sidecar/sideport TIPI when no other PEB or disk device/expansion is attached?

• 3 weeks later...

Okay on the EPROM DSR. I guess I'll get the updated DSR when I get my PEB-TIPI. I'll order a new chip for my external model further on down the road a bit, for now I'm happy with what I have.

Yeah, the TIPI update is insanely easy. Even a Chimpanzee can press the letter U and upgrade.

How long should the upgrade take? Mine has been running for about 30 min. PI3 B+ and PEB card. Do I go to bed and let it run all night???

How long should the upgrade take? Mine has been running for about 30 min. PI3 B+ and PEB card. Do I go to bed and let it run all night???

It shouldn't take longer than that but it is dependent on internet speeds. You are in Asia right? Have you done any changes outside of the tipi_disk directory?

Best practices files question... I have a NAS device with my TI99 home directory on it. It's basically a backup of WDS1. which is my SQ200 200MB hard disk on a WHTech SCSI card.

HDX1 is mapped to this via HDX mod on RS232 card talking to win client pointed at that share.

All the file show up OK... I can run anything off it. I usually run large packages like TI-BASE. So executing HDX1.TIB.TIBASEW will run the DB system off HDX. (same is true of WDS1.)

I have tried lots of ways to copy a directory to the PI, such that I could try running it off the PI (TIPI.TIB.TIBASEW)

However, whenever I go into DM2K to look at the files, all the file names are munged.

Have tried straight copy, DM2K, Ti99Dir - nothing works. Here are two pics, here is what it looks like on the TIPI (file names munged), and here is what is is supposed to look like (on HDX - which works)

image2

image3

Would value any ideas?
Edited by aftyde

The other thread indicated it was resolved. Can we share the resolution?

-M@

Yes, I watched via. top on the PI through an SSH connection after pressing "U" (from b19, which is the image on your webpage), git did it's thing... but the system was left in a non working (hung) state. Executing a CALL TIPI would just lock the sys with the card LED on. Working with Greg we checked the setup - all good. Seemed to need the post_update script to be run. I did not see that happen via. top on the initial upgrade.

When we ran that, the system came up with the new update. So all good. A valuable learning experience.

Edited by aftyde

If you have modified the speech synth to pass power to the 32k Sidecar, do you still have to change the jumper to ext and use an external power adapter on the 32k board to connect the TIPI Sidecar?

yes because the TIPI is powered off the external connector only Matt wanted to ensure there was enough power to run the chip there and the console doesn't guarantee enough power

• Like 2

Best practices files question... I have a NAS device with my TI99 home directory on it. It's basically a backup of WDS1. which is my SQ200 200MB hard disk on a WHTech SCSI card.

HDX1 is mapped to this via HDX mod on RS232 card talking to win client pointed at that share.

All the file show up OK... I can run anything off it. I usually run large packages like TI-BASE. So executing HDX1.TIB.TIBASEW will run the DB system off HDX. (same is true of WDS1.)

I have tried lots of ways to copy a directory to the PI, such that I could try running it off the PI (TIPI.TIB.TIBASEW)

However, whenever I go into DM2K to look at the files, all the file names are munged.

Have tried straight copy, DM2K, Ti99Dir - nothing works. Here are two pics, here is what it looks like on the TIPI (file names munged), and here is what is is supposed to look like (on HDX - which works)

Would value any ideas?

This looks like a Unicode issue I haven't squashed. TIPI serves the tifiles names that are 10 characters or less with only one transformation:

ADDRESS.D on the Linux filesystem becomes ADDRESS/D to the TI.

The rule is '.' on Linux becomes '/' on TI, and

'/' or '\' become '.' on Linux.

You should be able to rename them from telnet or the file share and then get the /D result on TIPI. I thought I fixed this on import, but possibly only if saved from the TI or uploaded via the browser UI.

I suspect the '/' in the original file name became Unicode escaped since it is otherwise an illegal character in a Linux filename.

-M@

yes because the TIPI is powered off the external connector only Matt wanted to ensure there was enough power to run the chip there and the console doesn't guarantee enough power

I have done testing with the 3 pins on the 32k joined, so the 32k and TIPI can be powered from modified speech. We don't know what the long term impact is on the life of your power supply though. I left this rig running a TIPI burn in test for about 4 hours.

Your milage with a 35 year old power supply may very.

-M@

• Like 2

I suspect the '/' in the original file name became Unicode escaped since it is otherwise an illegal character in a Linux filename.

Indeed illegal; you can't even escape it with a backslash. You can create a file like test1\"a.txt (resulting in test1"a.txt, a file name with a quote), but not test1\/a.txt.

I have done testing with the 3 pins on the 32k joined, so the 32k and TIPI can be powered from modified speech. We don't know what the long term impact is on the life of your power supply though. I left this rig running a TIPI burn in test for about 4 hours.

Your milage with a 35 year old power supply may very.

-M@

Raspberry Pi 2 Works!

I received my TIPI sideport board this past weekend, it has already provided tons of fun and joy in getting it installed. Unfortunately, the case and power supply that I had ordered for the Raspberry Pi 3 B+ has not yet arrived. So, I thought I would try it out on my Raspberry Pi 2.

First, I checked the compatibility of the GPIO pinouts just to ensure that I would not cause the smoke to escape ;). The pinouts appear to be compatible to the Pi Zero W and Pi 3 B+. Next, with the power off to all components, I followed the instructions from the TIPI-installation wiki (https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki/tipi-installation). After double checking how the included data cables should be attached, I plugged them in. I then prepared the SD card per instructions using Etcher.

Based upon jedimatt42's reply, I decided to play it safe and change the 32k sidecar power jumper to EXT, and use the power adapter that I ordered from arcadeshopper. I changed the jumper, attached the power supply cable, then attached the TIPI sideport card to the 32K sidecar.

I powered up the Pi 2, monitoring the boot process from the attached monitor connected to it's HDMI port. Once the login prompt appeared, I plugged in the 32k power adapter. After seeing the LED light lit, I powered on the TI-99/4A. Whew, the logo screen appeared!

I selected TI Basic, and then typed CALL TIPI... Success! The TIPI sideport LED lit and the configuration screen appeared!

Edited by twoodland
  • Like 2

I did manage to generate an undocumented I/O ERROR code (at least I think it is undocumented). The following code causes it:

100 URL$="http://some.url.com/text.txt" !Returns an XML document

110 OPEN #1:"PI."&URL$,INPUT,DISPLAY,SEQUENTIAL,VARIABLE 80

120 IF EOF(1) THEN 200

130 LINPUT #1:A$

140 ! Process ....

190 GOTO 120

200 CLOSE #1

This generates I/O ERROR 92 IN 120. I'm assuming 9 in the first position means the EOF function (?) but the 2 indicates that the file type is not correct. If I use ON ERROR 200 in place of the EOF check and branch back to line 130, I have no problem reading the text file correctly. (Parsing it is another matter because of control characters in the data, but that's nothing to do with the TIPI.) Is the EOF function not supported by the PI DSR?

Raspberry Pi 2 Works!

I received my TIPI sideport board this past weekend, it has already provided tons of fun and joy in getting it installed. Unfortunately, the case and power supply that I had ordered for the Raspberry Pi 3 B+ has not yet arrived. So, I thought I would try it out on my Raspberry Pi 2.

First, I checked the compatibility of the GPIO pinouts just to ensure that I would not cause the smoke to escape ;). The pinouts appear to be compatible to the Pi Zero W and Pi 3 B+. Next, with the power off to all components, I followed the instructions from the TIPI-installation wiki (https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki/tipi-installation). After double checking how the included data cables should be attached, I plugged them in. I then prepared the SD card per instructions using Etcher.

Based upon jedimatt42's reply, I decided to play it safe and change the 32k sidecar power jumper to EXT, and use the power adapter that I ordered from arcadeshopper. I changed the jumper, attached the power supply cable, then attached the TIPI sideport card to the 32K sidecar.

I powered up the Pi 2, monitoring the boot process from the attached monitor connected to it's HDMI port. Once the login prompt appeared, I plugged in the 32k power adapter. After seeing the LED light lit, I powered on the TI-99/4A. Whew, the logo screen appeared!

I selected TI Basic, and then typed CALL TIPI... Success! The TIPI sideport LED lit and the configuration screen appeared!

Pi2 will work but we did no testing and won't support issues found with it

Pi2 will work but we did no testing and won't support issues found with it

Thank you for the info and for setting me straight. I was unaware of the support restriction. In my case, I was a bit anxious to use it and trying an experiment at the same time. My Pi 3 b+ case and power supply should arrive tomorrow.

For others, good to know that the Pi 2 is unsupported.

• Like 1

I did manage to generate an undocumented I/O ERROR code (at least I think it is undocumented). The following code causes it:

100 URL$="http://some.url.com/text.txt" !Returns an XML document

110 OPEN #1:"PI."&URL$,INPUT,DISPLAY,SEQUENTIAL,VARIABLE 80

120 IF EOF(1) THEN 200

130 LINPUT #1:A$

140 ! Process ....

190 GOTO 120

200 CLOSE #1

This generates I/O ERROR 92 IN 120. I'm assuming 9 in the first position means the EOF function (?) but the 2 indicates that the file type is not correct. If I use ON ERROR 200 in place of the EOF check and branch back to line 130, I have no problem reading the text file correctly. (Parsing it is another matter because of control characters in the data, but that's nothing to do with the TIPI.) Is the EOF function not supported by the PI DSR?

Matt and i have discussed and he's going to work on adding eof to the routines

• Like 1