IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

56 minutes ago, mizapf said:

I did not try that yet. Will report.

The loop I believe was a result of not activating emulation mode on the PI.  I did get things booted once, but not sure what the issue(s) are why it will not reboot at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2023 at 10:15 PM, 9640News said:

I upgraded a PI 4 to use Bullseye with MAME and, using the new MDOS release.  Something isn't playing well in the powerup routine and things are in a loop.  Next step is to see about upgrading MAME.

@mizapf  Have you got MAME booting MDOS from the latest update to the TIPI?

Yes, here: http://www.mizapf.eu/files/genevetipi_boot.webm

(updated TIPI software to 3.17)

• Like 1

this is what I get when i try it

gregory@linuxmintgamingpc:~/Downloads/mame$ ./mame geneve -window -bios 2.00 -peb:slot5 speech -peb:slot6 tipi -conn rpi.tipipz2 -oslog 
[:maincpu] Variant = standard (with on-chip RAM), Overflow int = no check
[:peb] AMA/B/C address prefix set to 00000
[:peb] Slot 2 = empty
[:peb] Slot 3 = empty
[:peb] Slot 4 = empty
[:peb] Slot 5 = :peb:slot5:speech
[:peb] Slot 6 = :peb:slot6:tipi
[:peb] Slot 7 = empty
[:peb] Slot 8 = empty
Soft reset
[:peb:slot6:tipi] Trying to connect to Raspberry Pi at tipipz2:9901/tipi
[:] Video RAM set to 128 KiB
[:maincpu] RESET; automatic wait state creation is disabled
[:kbd:geneve_kb_101] Reset triggered
[:peb:slot6:tipi] Connection established
[:peb:slot6:tipi] TIPI server offers ASYNC communication
[:] Keyboard reset (line not connected)
[:kbd:geneve_kb_101] Reset triggered
[:peb:slot6:tipi] Got error: End of file (2)

2023-06-07 15:09:44,222 TipiService : INFO     websocket mode enabled
2023-06-07 15:09:44,232 TipiService : INFO     TIPI Ready
2023-06-09 07:41:24,008 TipiService : INFO     websocket mode enabled
2023-06-09 07:41:24,019 TipiService : INFO     TIPI Ready

not sure if this should be under MAME or TIPI? got 2 questions:

1.) I'm setting up a TIPI with TIPI and QEMU on an test PC. I got QEMU running fine. can get to it with web. I run JS99er.net with the recommended settings ws://localhost:9901/tipi full TIPI. when I run CALL TIPI it just hangs. 

ALSO tried with MAME. I installed the TIPI slot setup like @mizapf put in the notes. MAME starts fine. run CALL TIPI and it hangs too. I must be leaving out something?

2.) Is it possible to use a REAL RasPI TIPI with MAME? How would I hook it up if so?

20 minutes ago, hloberg said:

not sure if this should be under MAME or TIPI? got 2 questions:

1.) I'm setting up a TIPI with TIPI and QEMU on an test PC. I got QEMU running fine. can get to it with web. I run JS99er.net with the recommended settings ws://localhost:9901/tipi full TIPI. when I run CALL TIPI it just hangs. 

ALSO tried with MAME. I installed the TIPI slot setup like @mizapf put in the notes. MAME starts fine. run CALL TIPI and it hangs too. I must be leaving out something?

2.) Is it possible to use a REAL RasPI TIPI with MAME? How would I hook it up if so?

https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki/emulation-installation

Has the answers and you should should check the TIPI log to see if you're getting connections on your QEMU TIPI

If you're not getting connections then you might want to check to make sure you don't have a firewall or something else going on. Additionally, JS99er will not work unless it's HTTP it has to be HTTP not HTTPS. A lot of browsers are going to force you to be HTTPS at this point. This is because webhooks requires you to not cross between HTTPS and HTTP and so therefore you have to turn off HTTPS in your browser for that to work correctly

Mame is in my opinion not working correctly and hasn't for a while. There is something wrong with the web hooks code in mame. It has always been hit or miss and lately it is 100% mess in the last few versions. I'm assuming it's something to do with timing or handshaking, but that's an assumption

If you want to work through your problems with some help, we're going to be on the zoom call in a little while and will be all happy to help you during the call

18 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki/emulation-installation

Has the answers and you should should check the TIPI log to see if you're getting connections on your QEMU TIPI

If you're not getting connections then you might want to check to make sure you don't have a firewall or something else going on. Additionally, JS99er will not work unless it's HTTP it has to be HTTP not HTTPS. A lot of browsers are going to force you to be HTTPS at this point. This is because webhooks requires you to not cross between HTTPS and HTTP and so therefore you have to turn off HTTPS in your browser for that to work correctly

Mame is in my opinion not working correctly and hasn't for a while. There is something wrong with the web hooks code in mame. It has always been hit or miss and lately it is 100% mess in the last few versions. I'm assuming it's something to do with timing or handshaking, but that's an assumption

If you want to work through your problems with some help, we're going to be on the zoom call in a little while and will be all happy to help you during the call

thanks, i'll look into that with the QEMU.

Doing yard work on and off today so will get the next ZOOM meeting. plan to get back into the 99 more.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a bug in TIPI 3.x SD card image the prevents the tipi_kernel_module from loading on Raspberry PI Zero W ( and probably plain Zero )

I've produced a fix, but don't have time at the moment to fix the SD card image and re-publish it. So, manual steps to get going if you are in that situation for the time being:

- ssh to tipi@tipi.local or attach a keyboard and monitor and login as tipi user

- cd to /home/tipi/tipi_kernel_module

- run : git pull

- run : sudo reboot now

on boot it should then automatically recompile the kernel module and load. It was supposed to do this, but a bug snuck in, cause I tested that on a different brand of SBC originally.

Hopefully I'll have time Friday or Saturday to update the SD card image, so this can be forgotten about.

• Like 2

On 6/9/2023 at 9:39 PM, arcadeshopper said:

this is what I get when i try it

Does it work reliably now? In our last message exchange you seemed to be successful.

On 6/19/2023 at 6:58 PM, jedimatt42 said:

There is a bug in TIPI 3.x SD card image the prevents the tipi_kernel_module from loading on Raspberry PI Zero W ( and probably plain Zero )

Hopefully I'll have time Friday or Saturday to update the SD card image, so this can be forgotten about.

This is fixed now in a newly uploaded SD Card image. I also freshened up SD image with current 3.17 code. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this was a "one time" issue with my system or something that might need to be addressed. 

I updated from 3.14 to 3.17.  I loaded PI.CONFIG into an editor, added a "NATIVE_TEXT_DIRS" entry, and attempted to write PI.CONFIG to the TIPI. My system locked up.  I reset the Geneve and TIPI/RPi, then repeated the steps to edit PI.CONFIG.  The system locked up again.   I checked the TIPI log and it reported the following error: 

Updated from 3.14 to 3.17.
Loaded PI.CONFIG into editor
Save PI.CONFIG results in the following: 

2023-07-08 19:52:13,129 Pab         : INFO     opcode: Open, fileType: Sequential, mode: Output, dataType: Display, recordType: Variable, recordLength: 0, recordNumber: 0
2023-07-08 19:52:13,140 Pab         : INFO     opcode: Write, fileType: Sequential, mode: Output, dataType: Display, recordType: Variable, recordLength: 80, recordNumber: 0
2023-07-08 19:52:13,153 Pab         : INFO     opcode: Write, fileType: Sequential, mode: Output, dataType: Display, recordType: Variable, recordLength: 80, recordNumber: 1
2023-07-08 19:52:13,167 Pab         : INFO     opcode: Write, fileType: Sequential, mode: Output, dataType: Display, recordType: Variable, recordLength: 80, recordNumber: 2
2023-07-08 19:52:13,181 Pab         : INFO     opcode: Write, fileType: Sequential, mode: Output, dataType: Display, recordType: Variable, recordLength: 80, recordNumber: 3
2023-07-08 19:52:13,194 Pab         : INFO     opcode: Write, fileType: Sequential, mode: Output, dataType: Display, recordType: Variable, recordLength: 80, recordNumber: 4
2023-07-08 19:52:13,207 Pab         : INFO     opcode: Write, fileType: Sequential, mode: Output, dataType: Display, recordType: Variable, recordLength: 80, recordNumber: 5
2023-07-08 19:52:13,222 Pab         : INFO     opcode: Write, fileType: Sequential, mode: Output, dataType: Display, recordType: Variable, recordLength: 80, recordNumber: 6
2023-07-08 19:52:13,234 Pab         : INFO     opcode: Write, fileType: Sequential, mode: Output, dataType: Display, recordType: Variable, recordLength: 80, recordNumber: 7
2023-07-08 19:52:13,245 Pab         : INFO     opcode: Write, fileType: Sequential, mode: Output, dataType: Display, recordType: Variable, recordLength: 80, recordNumber: 8
2023-07-08 19:52:13,256 Pab         : INFO     opcode: Write, fileType: Sequential, mode: Output, dataType: Display, recordType: Variable, recordLength: 80, recordNumber: 9
2023-07-08 19:52:13,267 Pab         : INFO     opcode: Write, fileType: Sequential, mode: Output, dataType: Display, recordType: Variable, recordLength: 80, recordNumber: 10
2023-07-08 19:52:13,279 Pab         : INFO     opcode: Write, fileType: Sequential, mode: Output, dataType: Display, recordType: Variable, recordLength: 80, recordNumber: 11
2023-07-08 19:52:13,290 Pab         : INFO     opcode: Write, fileType: Sequential, mode: Output, dataType: Display, recordType: Variable, recordLength: 80, recordNumber: 12
2023-07-08 19:52:13,295 TipiService : ERROR    Unhandled exception in main
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/tipi/tipi/services/./TipiService.py", line 90, in <module>
    if specialFiles.handle(pab, filename):
  File "/home/tipi/tipi/services/SpecialFiles.py", line 63, in handle
    handler.handle(pab, devname)
  File "/home/tipi/tipi/services/ConfigFile.py", line 32, in handle
    self.write(pab, devname)
  File "/home/tipi/tipi/services/ConfigFile.py", line 71, in write
    value = msg.split('=')[1].strip()
IndexError: list index out of range
2023-07-08 19:52:14,075 TipiService : INFO     physical mode enabled
2023-07-08 19:52:14,084 TipiService : INFO     TIPI Ready

Line 12 contained the deprecated line "TIPI_NAME=TIPI".  I deleted the line and was able to successfully save PI.CONFIG with no errors.

When I reloaded PI.CONFIG, the "TIPI_NAME=TIPI" entry had returned (or was never removed).  The good news is that saving PI.CONFIG works and no error is reported. 

• Like 1

Update 3.18 - July 9th 2023

Bug fixes brought to my attention thanks to @InsaneMultitasker, and @dhe

- Fix PI.CONFIG write operations to ignore lines that are not a map entry

- Fix loading of /home/tipi/tipi.config to also ignore lines that are not a map entry, in case you manually edit it from linux.

- Fix web-ui to show perceived file type based on NATIVE_TEXT_DIRS configuration.

• Like 5

Update 3.19 - July 14th 2023

More bug finding love from @InsaneMultitasker, @dhe, and @9640News

- Fix native flags so that when creating a file (OPEN OUTPUT or APPEND when file is not present) if a native_flag is set, then the PAB data type and record type and record length must be appropriate for the active native_flag.

* Note: internally NATIVE_TEXT_DIRS sets the ?W native flag for operations, so this should fix the create of DF80 object files in the Geneve MDOS source builds where the source or build is happening from a directory specified in NATIVE_TEXT_DIRS. 

** Note: This restricted ?X native flag to DISPLAY FIXED 128 files. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jedimatt42 said:

- Fix native flags so that when creating a file (OPEN OUTPUT or APPEND when file is not present) if a native_flag is set, then the PAB data type and record type and record length must be appropriate for the active native_flag.

* Note: internally NATIVE_TEXT_DIRS sets the ?W native flag for operations, so this should fix the create of DF80 object files in the Geneve MDOS source builds where the source or build is happening from a directory specified in NATIVE_TEXT_DIRS. 

I ran a simple test program that creates a new DF80, DV20, IF100, and IV90 file.  All four files were created with a TIFILES headered file.  I was also able to successfully assemble a native text file into a TIFILES headered DF80 file.  Outstanding.  :)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

Update 3.19 - July 14th 2023

More bug finding love from @InsaneMultitasker, @dhe, and @9640News

** Note: This restricted ?X native flag to DISPLAY FIXED 128 files. 

Thank you Matt.  Much appreciated for all your continued support!!!!

• Like 1

Hi, I'm still working on my Pi Pico PEB board, which is using more and more TIPI source code - quite a lot actually, from the TI side.

I was wondering if someone could try this on their TIPI in TI BASIC:

10 CALL CLEAR

LIST "PI.PIO"

And let me know if it produces a PDF file with the program listing?  For some reason, probably me, mine does strange things and crashes the TI - and I'm kind of stuck.

Hi all--decided to pull out my sidecar TIPI after a few months, but just hangs when I CALL TIPI. As I was hooking it up I did power it on with the connector plugged into the wrong end of the GPIO pins on the Pi, so I'm wondering if I fried something.

The light on the TIPI does come on, but I tried the TipiDebug.py script and I'm not seeing the register values updated on the Pi side, although they do seem to stick on the TI. I have not tried updating the SD card on the Raspberry Pi yet, but everything was working great when I last used it so not sure else would've changed. Any other ideas for things to test, or should I just replace the Tipi?

Thanks!

IMG_3312.jpg

IMG_3314.jpg

Well, there is a warning somewhere in the docs about hooking up to the Pi on the wrong pins and bad stuff for the TiPi "Warning: connecting the cables to the +5V pins, 2 & 4, of the Raspberry PI will result in destroying the CPLD on the TIPI board."

I use a Pi Zero w2 with the minimum pins on it and plug it directly into the sidecar. I'm prone to getting things backwards and mixed up so I do what ever I can to reduce the opportunities for errors.

At least you can ssh into the Pi so, it's probably functional.

Edited by Duewester

1 hour ago, Duewester said:

Well, there is a warning somewhere in the docs [...]

Yeah... unfortunately I didn't read this until I went to the docs to check the right way to install it when it wasn't working. Wondering if there's a way to definitively confirm that before I shell out for another one.

I was looking at the Pi Zero W2 though since the Pi 3 I'm using is pretty clunky.

Sadly, I've never seen a survival... the CPLD pin that get mis-connected, dump the full current the PI's 5V supply can provide before it cooks, in an instant. I've replaced the CPLD on half a dozen of these, and that has always resurrected them. 

I don't have any spare CPLDs anymore, so I'm not in a position to offer repair service.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

If something can be plugged in backwards, I've probably done it.

When I have something that can plug in multiple ways, I take a silver sharpie and mark the top of the board and top of the connector.

For future reference @jedimatt42, can you take a picture of the board and highlight the chip that gets fry-ed?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dhe said:

If something can be plugged in backwards, I've probably done it.

When I have something that can plug in multiple ways, I take a silver sharpie and mark the top of the board and top of the connector.

For future reference @jedimatt42, can you take a picture of the board and highlight the chip that gets fry-ed?

It's the CPLD.. the only square SMD chip

• Like 2