IGNORED

Billy Mitchell TG Banned, Scores Removed

VectorGamer

From your May post, -1...

"The law firm representing Billy in the case asked the court for $226,014.96 for handling TG's anti-Slapp motion which was denied.  The court approved only $598.96 of that $226,014.96 amount, which was for actual costs (e.g. court filing fees)."

I mean, what is a better encapsulation of how this is going than that?? :D

I can't believe this is still dragging on.

Edited by Hydro Thunder
Typo
  • Like 3

On 9/11/2022 at 12:00 AM, negative1 said:

While Mitchell continues to rely on witness statements from his friends (such as Todd Rogers), the technical evidence proving Mitchell’s tapes could not have been produced as he has always claimed keeps piling up.

I suppose it's silly to suggest that all he would really need to do is make a new recording using the same technique he used before, using the same arcade game and recording hardware as before, in front of some of these technical experts, and if the resulting tape's technical idiosyncrasies matched those of his earlier tapes, then that would make for a strong case that he didn't use MAME.

But I'm sure there are all sorts of reasons he doesn't do that. :roll: 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Astro Rabby said:

He's suing youtuber Karl Jobst, too. Again. Despite him being Australian. Just accept you got caught and move on. Or show some evidence against the evidence we already have.

I just watched his last video and it was about that. He now has a GoFundme.

Gofundme: https://www.gofundme.com/f/karl-jobst-legal-defence-fund

Direct donation: https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/karljobst

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
35 minutes ago, frankodragon said:

Now he's really screwed.  The joystick was not an original DK joystick.  His was an 8-way stick instead of a 4 way.

In general, I try to avoid engaging in schadenfreude.  It's something that is distasteful to me, and it seems like a great way to tilt karma against oneself.

With that out of the way, it brings me no end of pleasure to see Billy Mitchell hoist by his own petard.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, frankodragon said:

Now he's really screwed.  The joystick was not an original DK joystick.  His was an 8-way stick instead of a 4 way.

I was literally just watching that video.  This whole saga just gets more and more comical (to the point of being outright bizarre) the longer it plays out.  You really couldn't make this stuff up.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, tep392 said:

Can someone explain how we know it was an 8-way stick from just a photo,  and not gated for 4-way?  Just curious.

Here's the thing: even if it was gated for 4-way, it's not considered original equipment by TG's competition standards of the time.  That would invalidate the record attempt right there.

@tep392: The following isn't in response to you, but rather a general statement since the point has been touched on.

Anticipating the potential direction of the discussion, going down the road of splitting hairs over what does and does not constitute original equipment is pointless.  That particular discussion has happened many, many times over the years, and has never been resolved - nor will it be, simply because there are so many facets to it.

All we can say in this particular case is that the joystick isn't one that Nintendo would have originally supplied with the machine, and competition standards of the time would have ruled the score inadmissible for a world record attempt as a result.

We can also say that Billy Mitchell is a narcissistic, cheating douchebag laden with unwarranted self-importance, and it is fun to do so.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Here's the thing: even if it was gated for 4-way, it's not considered original equipment by TG's competition standards of the time.  That would invalidate the record attempt right there.

@tep392: The following isn't in response to you, but rather a general statement since the point has been touched on.

Anticipating the potential direction of the discussion, going down the road of splitting hairs over what does and does not constitute original equipment is pointless.  That particular discussion has happened many, many times over the years, and has never been resolved - nor will it be, simply because there are so many facets to it.

All we can say in this particular case is that the joystick isn't one that Nintendo would have originally supplied with the machine, and competition standards of the time would have ruled the score inadmissible for a world record attempt as a result.

We can also say that Billy Mitchell is a narcissistic, cheating douchebag laden with unwarranted self-importance, and it is fun to do so.

I'm aware and agree with all of this.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lauren Tyler said:

Over on Twin Galaxies, Tim Sczerby has come out of the woodwork and started acting very immature about this whole thing.

Haven't been on the forums there recently but he (or someone claiming to be him) had quite a bit to say in the comments section of the nine part "Video Game Fraud of the Century" piece on Billy Mitchell's perfect Pac-Man score.  (Specifically Dot FiveDot SixDot Eight and Dot Nine.)

I always thought it was majorly screwed up how Sczerby was marginalized and his then world record score was basically completely ignored in the King of Kong, but at this point that film and that whole ordeal are ancient history.  He just comes across as a lunatic if that really is him.  I imagine the stuff being posted on TG is more or less in the same vein.

On 1/31/2023 at 1:55 PM, tep392 said:

Can someone explain how we know it was an 8-way stick from just a photo,  and not gated for 4-way?  Just curious.

Even if it is gated for a 4-way joystick, the fact still remains that the hardware was modified.  Meaning that he did not play on "original, unmodified hardware," like he has claimed.

21 hours ago, Psionic said:

I always thought it was majorly screwed up how Sczerby was marginalized and his then world record score was basically completely ignored in the King of Kong, but at this point that film and that whole ordeal are ancient history.  He just comes across as a lunatic if that really is him.  I imagine the stuff being posted on TG is more or less in the same vein.

Good point.  A lot of people on Twin Galaxies are calling him out by name, but it could easily be someone pretending to be him.  Nevertheless, the way he's acting makes me wonder how grown adults can act so immature.

Regarding the 8-way vs. 4-way joystick thing and whether or not it matters, yes, there is the pretty clear-cut fact that a non-original joystick of any kind is a "modification" and thus not "all original hardware."

But more than that, I'm pretty sure I remember reading about how Steve Wiebe had a bunch of scores rejected because it was found out that he was playing on a cabinet that had an 8-way joystick installed.  I don't know this for a fact, but I bet Billy Mitchell and/or his groupies were among those pushing for enforcement of this rule to make things harder for Steve, so it should be funny to hear Billy's explanation for why the rule should not apply to him.  

Regarding the 8 vs. 4 way, I was only asking how we can tell it's an 8-way from a photo, because I was curious if this was an assumption or if there is some evidence proving it to be fact. I never indicated any doubt that it is not the original stick or that the game is therefore not all original.  With that said, please go ahead and keep stating the obvious that it is not original and that is all that matters.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, tep392 said:

Regarding the 8 vs. 4 way, I was only asking how we can tell it's an 8-way from a photo, because I was curious if this was an assumption or if there is some evidence proving it to be fact. I never indicated any doubt that it is not the original stick or that the game is therefore not all original.  With that said, please go ahead and keep stating the obvious that it is not original and that is all that matters.

I guessing an assumption.  It would even be hard to tell if it was a name brand like Happ or one of hundreds of Chinese knock-offs.

It could be 4 way, 8 way, micro switch, leaf switch...who knows without popping the control panel open.

Edited by Turbo-Torch