IGNORED

Question about the PCSX2 emulator...

ataridave

Yes you can, I've done it years ago when I had no PS2 but had a couple games I had once worked on years back. I used your own question copied and pasted exactly: can you use original PS1 and PS2 game discs with PCSX2 into google and your answer is almost immediate and even some trouble shooting on that too.

• Like 1

Never used PCSX2, but I have used PCSX. It would read from an optical drive or you can point it to a file. That means I could download ISOs or just make my own from disks I already have. Pretty cool and great for imprts, but my interest in emulating these games died down when I realized that even though 700mb doesn't seem like a lot, it adds up really fast. Storing the entire PSX library for all countries is still quite difficult unless you buy some specific storage for it. I imagine the PS2 library is almost astronomical in size.

Still good if you want to track down a hard to find game and try it out.

Well I don’t think I’ll ever be using this emulator. You have to dump the BIOS from whatever model of PS2 you have, and I’m just not comfortable doing that. Plus, doing so evidently requires you to use FreeMcBoot, which I find to be to confusing. At any rate, I have a slim PS2, so it doesn’t have a hard drive.

Well I don’t think I’ll ever be using this emulator. You have to dump the BIOS from whatever model of PS2 you have, and I’m just not comfortable doing that. Plus, doing so evidently requires you to use FreeMcBoot, which I find to be to confusing. At any rate, I have a slim PS2, so it doesn’t have a hard drive.

I'm pretty sure you could find the BIOS online.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure you could find the BIOS online.

I mean... Who doesn't find their BIOS online? I think the only system I ever dumped my own BIOS for was the Wii, but that's because it required little effort and could be done with an (easily) softmodded Wii and an SD card.

PCSX2 is great for more than just PS2 emulation though. If you set it up right, you can play PS2 titles upscaled nicely to look (nearly) HD. It's also nice to be able to play some of the more expensive games or rip your own games to keep them from the wear and tear / make backups. I think it's crazy how far PS2 emulation actually is when N64 emulation is still wonky as all get out.

My main computer can emulate them pretty well, and I liked the results... Just couldn't figure the best way to hook up a PS2 controller as using a 360/XB1 controller just feel weird to use for it. (Yeah I have PS3/PS4 controllers, but don't bluetooth built-in or a decent adapter.)

I used a much earlier version of this program many years ago and I just downloaded a US PS2 bios I found randomly at the time and it was fine. Not sure why you would think you'd have to mcboot and rip your own, other than the emulator readme file saying that to cover their own asses from piracy shut down threats. PCSX2 even in its early days would allow in the couple games I kept at the time to look superior to the RCA connection the TV allowed plus at a higher resolution too.