IGNORED

Sega Ages Switch: M2's Sega 3D Classics line coming to the Switch.

Atariboy

I wish you could add these games to your shelf in the Genesis classics game. It's weird to have that and then have all these games seperate on your switch menu.

Also; some of these games were included in the PC version of Genesis Classics, so it very much so feels like we are being nickel and dimed here... Oh well at least they are available to play for those that really want to see them on a modern system.

Different developers, different contracts, different products. The Classics collection is a bunch of ROMs in an emulator frontend, like they did on PC years ago. The AGES presentations are torn apart and put back together with new features and a terrific attention to detail that justifies paying eight bucks each for them.

I'm OK with them in the different formats because they serve different purposes. And I, SEGA whale that I am, buy them all. Including the SEGA Forever collection on mobile.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Six more have been announced.

Fantasy Zone (Arcade)

G-LOC Air Battle (Arcade)

Herzog Zwei (Genesis)

Puzzle & Action: Inchidant-R (Arcade)

Shinobi (Arcade)

Wonder Boy in Monster Land (Arcade)

ss-02-3.900x.jpg

Definitely in for G-LOC and a few others will tempt me here even though I already have good ways of playing what interests me in it. A bit disappointing not to see Turbo Outrun, but hopefully in the next batch.

I'm a bit confused about this unveiling though, since Virtua Racing will only be the 11th release in wave 1. Wave 1 was supposed to be 15 games.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 4

It's a conspiracy to make me buy Fantasy Zone as many times as humanly possible! :D

Super happy to see Herzog Zwei on the docket.

Just bought Gain Ground, which I think is an underrated little game. I wish I knew I could eventually just get that instead of blowing a ton of cash on the PS2 SEGA AGES version (which is certainly good).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Six more have been announced.

Fantasy Zone (Arcade)

G-LOC Air Battle (Arcade)

Herzog Zwei (Genesis)

Puzzle & Action: Inchidant-R (Arcade)

Shinobi (Arcade)

Wonder Boy in Monster Land (Arcade)

Definitely in for G-LOC and a few others will tempt me here even though I already have good ways of playing what interests me in it. A bit disappointing not to see Turbo Outrun, but hopefully in the next batch.

I'm a bit confused about this unveiling though, since Virtua Racing will only be the 11th release in wave 1. Wave 1 was supposed to be 15 games.

SOLD! I bought a SMS for this game in the 80's and loved it at the arcade. Was never really good at it but enjoy it to this day! I will be making a purchase as soon as it hits the e-shop!

Sounds like none of the console specific tracks from the Genesis/32X/Saturn (Did PS2 get any of its own?) are recreated in Virtua Racing for the Switch.

For any other developer, it would've been absolutely foolhardy to ever think there was a chance. But with M2, I thought it was at least a 50/50 proposition that some highlights at the very least would be recreated here.

It sounds like an exceptional conversion though, which is really what matters. They've even gotten rid of the severe pop-up that Virtua Racing was plagued with, which will be welcomed by 99.9% of those that play this (There will always be an oddball or two; I saw someone whine several times at Nintendo Life that M2 had an optional 60 fps mode in Outrun, since it wasn't staying faithful to the source material).

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Correcting my earlier post, I just fired up the Genesis game and realized there's no extra courses. Looks like it's just 32X/Saturn/PS2 that got those, with a total of 12 console specific tracks across the three.

Edited by Atariboy

Eurogamer just posted a Virtua Racing review. It feels like such a tease ... surely the western release will drop soon? It would be easy to create a Japanese eShop account, but I really don't want the extra hassle.

Agree. This game looks just stunning, love the clean polys. To quote one review, it's a "day one purchase"...but When TH is Day One???!? :)

Will still keep my 32X Virtua Racing for the extra courses. ;)

• Like 1

Sad to hear the news that Sega plans to cut back on digital releases. With work like what we've seen with Virtua Racing, I'm crossing my fingers that the Sega Ages initiative isn't an area that they plan to pull back from.

It seems like something was lost in translation. I saw someone explain that "digital releases" here meant mobile and microtransaction/subscription-driven games, NOT PC or console games that happen to be digital downloads.

Makes sense if true -- the DLC scene is more winner-take-all than ever, and pulling out of digital /distribution/ would be suicidal. It's not like everything is going to be on disc or cartridge now.

Our SEGA AGES releases on Switch should be safe. Do you hear me, SEGA??

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like Japanese sales have been disappointing so far, but the Western markets are selling better than anticipated.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/05/sega_ages_line_struggling_to_appeal_in_japan_interest_overseas_better_than_expected

Hopefully overall, this is considered at least a minor asset to Sega's bottom line.

I suspect the biggest thing it needs in Japan is more titles like Virtua Racing. A good number of the releases to date have been rehashes of games that M2 already ported to the 3DS, not to mention the scores of releases that games like Sonic the Hedgehog and Phantasy Star have received over the past 20 years. Fresh content that people didn't just buy an excellent port of a few short years earlier should reinvigorate this market, I would hope.

Edited by Atariboy

• 4 weeks later...

Eurogamer just posted a Virtua Racing review. It feels like such a tease ... surely the western release will drop soon? It would be easy to create a Japanese eShop account, but I really don't want the extra hassle.

June 27 for Virtua Racing and Wonder Boy: Monster Land. I love what they did with Phantasy Star so I might buy more SEGA Ages games.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/06/virtua_racing_and_wonder_boy_monster_land_arrive_in_the_west_at_the_end_of_june

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Just a strange nit to pick, I am TOTALLY buying Virtua Racing on 6/27 (may have prepurchased it from the eShop already)...

But why are the tires grey instead of black?  I really love the look otherwise, but it just seems odd to me in the video I've seen that they couldn't get a nice, dark, jet black colored tire like in the arcade etc.  Feel free to roast me for being so petty, or for not seeing this right.

25 minutes ago, Curious Sofa said:

Just a strange nit to pick, I am TOTALLY buying Virtua Racing on 6/27 (may have prepurchased it from the eShop already)...

But why are the tires grey instead of black?  I really love the look otherwise, but it just seems odd to me in the video I've seen that they couldn't get a nice, dark, jet black colored tire like in the arcade etc.  Feel free to roast me for being so petty, or for not seeing this right.

No, it looks off to me as well. An odd choice.

June 27 is only 5 days away!! I’m inexplicably excited even though (or maybe because) I’ve owned this in so many other versions. 

Tires might look grey because of the difference in display tech. The arcade game was on a CRT and it was a long time ago. It’s possible they were always grey. 

The entire color palette is off for some reason. The suspension bridge for instance goes from being red to instead looking like the Golden Gate. Digital Foundry Retro covered this in their Virtua Racing feature a while back.

https://youtu.be/uEbmTfSxt9Q?t=6m55s

I was hoping M2 would patch it, but I suppose it would've happened by now in Japan if they were going to. Thankfully it's not a major problem, but it is a surprising one for a company with M2's reputation. I suspect it has to be a deliberate design choice that was made for reasons we're not privy to. 

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Atariboy said:

The entire color palette is off for some reason. The suspension bridge for instance goes from being red to instead looking like the Golden Gate. Digital Foundry Retro covered this in their Virtua Racing feature a while back.

I don't know about the arcade version but I clearly remember the bridge was orange in the 32X version. I remember it because it was an improvement over the Mega Drive version, in which the bridge was using a red and yellow 'mesh' (like SEGA Saturn's transparencies).