IGNORED

Wyvern Tales - Walkthrough

sage

• 1 year later...
On 9/10/2018 at 5:06 AM, karri said:

The hunt is something I never completed. In the test version the hunt was not saved in eeprom so you needed to play it in one go. I am still hoping there is some "after game" pleasure in the hunt line.

There is a bug or something in the hunt so they can’t really be totally completed. I posted about it not too long after its release. After a certain number, it doesn’t register as being complete, so you just keep doing the same one over and over (if I remember correctly). Edit: whoops, just noticed the post was over a year 1/2 old.

Edited by KevinMos3

12 hours ago, Rick Dangerous said:

Anyone make a map?  The first area is pretty easy but once you make it to the other side of the cave I start losing track a bit.  World map would be awesome!

its been on my TODO list for over a year now to provide the world map.. I want to make a nice image out of this

1 hour ago, KevinMos3 said:

There is a bug or something in the hunt so they can’t really be totally completed. I posted about it not too long after its release. After a certain number, it doesn’t register as being complete, so you just keep doing the same one over and over (if I remember correctly). Edit: whoops, just noticed the post was over a year 1/2 old.

There's a bug in the first batch of 100 with the hunt.

If I'm not mistaken, you can "get around" this bug by not talking to the village elder in Terra. By talking to this elder an event triggers that opens the bridge to the castle. If you don't trigger this event, the randomizer for determining the area for the hunt will not select the tower area which is when the bug occurs.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Crap.  It's not Terra.  It's the elder in Argul that triggers the bridge to the tower.  I just played all the way through again, grinding and leveling up, making sure not to talk to anyone in Terra (except to buy some items) since I didn't know which one was the village elder.  I went to finish the Hunt and ran into the bug again.  I can't believe I did that.  My whole purpose this round was to finish the Hunt.  The problem is, the doors in the cave leading to Terra don't open unless you kill the wyvern in the tower of Fafnir... you can't go to the tower without talking to the elder in Argul... without heading into the cave leading to Terra I had a real hard time leveling up past a certain point since exp gained from battles in the Argul area are so low... and without the better equipment found in the Terra shop and/or beyond, there was a wyvern in the Hunt that was just too powerful.  I made multiple attempts, spending all my magic, health potions, and mana, but kept getting creamed.  This wyvern isn't even that high in the Hunt, maybe somewhere between 10 and 15.  The monsters after that (up to 18) were very easy by comparison.  That's where I get the crash this time around.  Last playthrough, the bug was triggered at Hunt 30.  I'm wondering if that particular wyvern (monster) was supposed to appear at that point or if it's also a bug, since its difficulty seemed very out of sequence.

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone wanting to complete the hunt, here's what I've learned so far:

Spoiler

Do NOT talk to the man dressed in blue (with a staff) near the sign in the village of Argul.  This man asks for your help with monsters coming from the West, which opens the bridge to the tower.  The village elder of Argul is out of town until you've completed the tower -- and talking to him opens the doors in the cave to the East.  So, you'll have to complete the hunt without any of the goodies found in the tower, the cave leading to Terra, or the shops in Terra.

Thankfully, you can still level up and gain money faster by moving around in the little area surrounding the stairs in the cave to the East of Argul, looking for the giant spiders.  I like to flee any group of enemies in this cave because they aren't worth my time, and only fight if it's a giant spider or a single enemy.  Eventually, you'll be low on HP and MP, but Argul is close by for a refill.

For the last 2 games I've started, hunt 15 has a huge spike in difficulty.  After this, the difficulty goes back down until hunt 20.  When fighting the 15th monster, I was leveled up to probably around 12 or 13 (don't remember exactly) and still barely defeated him.  I used all my health potions, all my mana, and all characters were defeated except Arth (who was down to single-digit health).  I was about to get a game over in the next turn, but the poison I cast with Deri in the first round took 1 point of damage off the monster which was just enough to kill him before my turn was over.  It was as close as any battle I've ever fought.  I still have to beat hunt 20 in this current game, so I can't comment further.  I've beaten up to hunt 30 when the game was first released, but that's where I encountered the bug, so I don't know anything past that and it's been too long for me to remember hunts 20 to 30.

!!Additional SPOILER!! -- If you return to the Argul village elder before getting the Dragon Sword (or maybe it was the Demon Sword), he will laugh at you for returning and change into the final boss.  Without that sword, you have no chance to beat him, so don't try it unless you've saved first and like getting Game Overs. -- !!End Additional SPOILER!!

• Like 2

More Hunt Spoilers:

Spoiler

Every 5th Hunt monster is like a boss (ex: 15, 20, 25, 30, etc.).  I didn't really have difficulty with them until the 15th one, but each 5th one has a difficulty spike, then the difficulty drops back down a bit until the next 5th one.

If there is something you want in the Bar from the Legendary Shop, BUY IT BEFORE BEATING HUNT 30.  So if you want to buy the "demon sword" for instance... hint, hint, be sure to buy it before hunt 30.  The items in the shop seem to change after that point.  This is a good thing, because now you'll have access to more powerful equipment like the Atari Lynx charm and the Excalibur sword, but you just might need that demon sword for a boss I mentioned in my previous spoiler.

The Nightmare spell is very useful against the in-between hunts, but won't work on the boss hunts.  Ex: hunts 31-34, 36-39, etc. can be pretty dangerous as the monsters can deal large amounts of damage, but they can usually be defeated by the Nightmare spell within the first few turns.  Boss hunt monsters seem impervious to the spell though, so you'll want to have some mana++ and health++ to last through those battles.  I cast poison with Deri in the first turn and wail away with Arth and Mori, while Deri kept using health2 on whoever needed it until she was out of MP.  Then used a mana++ to keep her going and used a health++ if the monster damaged a character to very low health with a single attack, or killed them.  Then a life spell followed by health++ the next turn would keep the character in the fight.  I made sure Arth and Mori knew the life spell as well in case Deri got wiped out in a single attack.

By the time I finished the hunt, I had leveled up my characters to around level 30.  That was a LOT of grinding in the cave east of Argul, circling the stairs.  Unfortunately, I made the critical mistake of waiting too long to buy the demon sword.  I realized my error after hunt 30, which is why I gave the warning earlier.  I kept pushing forward because I'd already come so far I at least wanted to finish the hunt and I had a little bit of hope that some other sword might work against the boss in Argul, but no.  So, I still have to play again to complete everything there is to do in the game.  Small caveat: poison does still work against that boss so if you don't have the demon sword, you "may" still be able to beat him if you can stay alive long enough.  But, that's a really long time to stay alive while poison takes off little bits of his health.

So what happens when you complete the hunt?...

Are you sure you want to know?...

Really, really sure?...

There's no turning back...

Final warning...

Nothing special.

There are 50 in total.  Hunts 40 through 50 are all boss type hunts, so Nightmare spell won't work.  Hunt 45 glitched on me.  There was no monster.  I thought it might be invisible, but after my first turn of attacks it was over and the screen started glitching.  I could still see just enough to save, and when I reloaded, it continued with hunt 46.  For the final hunt, 50, you fight the same boss as at the end of the game, but only get around 73 exp and about 720 gold when you return to the man.  I could be off on the numbers by a bit, but it wasn't anything significant.  The man who hires you just says he has no jobs left for you.  The biggest reward I saw was just knowing I finished it... well that, and the rest of the game was far easier since I had leveled up so much in the meantime.

Edited by KevinMos3

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Okay i went through the cave up top, and chance you would be up to keep making these maps @Ninjabba?  Awesome work all around! 

I'm in some town called Argul, and my hunt indicator says: 2

Freaking love this game we are so lucky to have a classic style RPG on the Lynx!!

Edited by Rick Dangerous
  • Like 2

So I'm in Argul, and there is this guy saying "come back after you've killed the Monster, look for the foot prints in the Gonnos region" but I killed the main monster in the Gonnos region cave, walked all around it and didn't see any footprints. What am I missing?

I beat the dragon in the tower to the northwest of Argul, which I thought might do it but nope. I also thought it might open one of the two doors leading north or south in the cave to the northeast of Argul, but no to that also.  So I guess I'm stuck until I find out what I need to do so I can unlock one of those doors.

Any insight as to where the monster is that I missed in Gonnos? Not seeing the footprints. Thanks!

PXL_20210801_123546751.jpg

While testing the game I found out that walking from one map area to the next creates the footprints in a new area.

I realized this by mistake as I did see the footprints in an impossible tile that I could not reach that was at the junction of the map. Then it suddenly vanished because I crossed the region boundary and it appeared elsewhere.

• Thanks 2

Okay....spent probably 10-15 hours playing this weekend and learned a lot!  I finally realized that "The Hunt" is a side quest that basically adds replay value during and past the end of the game.  Got up to hunt 15, and over to Terra, etc. etc, but didn't venture in the final castle basement yet as i want to save for the Demon Sword first and have some further cave grinding to do.  Wanted to ask, are there any monsters in the castle basement that make it better for grinding than the big spiders in the Argul to Terra cave?  So anyway; below is my walkthrough for Area 3: Argul.

Area 3 walkthrough: Argul

Please excuse the crudity of my drawing, i didn't have time to draw it to scale. 

So Argul is basically a big "U" shape, with the locked doors (caves to Terra) in the Northeast cave entrance, and the caves back to the Bar Region in the Southeast.  If you go around the U to the Northwest, you will find the tower with a monster to fight.  It's possible to get stuck here if you don't know what to do (as i did) and it took me some trial and error to figure out how to open the doors to Terra (the 4th (and i think final) map in the game).   Here is the approximate right order to do things in Argul area:

-Go up and visit the town, talk to the man in the blue robe with the staff, he'll open the bridge to the tower for you (not sure the name of the tower, maybe Fennil or Fennir or something per hunt 15 instructions).

-Go to the tower via the northwest pass and beat the monster, the tower is found after travelling over a few islands and bridges and is a great area for grinding, there is a RED three headed monster that drops 200 gold and good EXP when defeated, use this area to save for spells/equipment found at the shops in the town of Argul. 

-Return to Argul once the monster is defeated and talk to the same guy, he will send you to the end of town to talk to "the village crazy" (i guess an endearing term for the Mayor?) who will then unlock the two doors for you in the cave to the Northeast, which leads to Terra. It will also unlock the warp in the Bar, which connects to a house in Terra, making it quick to get around all 4 maps without too much caving, but more on that later (in the area 4 walkthrough.) 

-Explore this cave system, there are several treasure chests.  The Large spiders are THE BEST for grinding, giving 250 gold and solid experience points.  I pretty much fleed all battles as they are a waste of time except for the large spiders. You will eventually find downstairs a large monster/dragon to defeat.  Beating him will unlock the top and final door in the caves, allowing you to exit the cave to the east and you are then in Terra (area 4)! 

Congrats, you have completed area 3!  

Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 10.55.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 9.41.07 AM.png

Edited by Rick Dangerous
  • Thanks 1

On 7/30/2021 at 2:02 PM, Rick Dangerous said:

Okay i went through the cave up top, and chance you would be up to keep making these maps @Ninjabba?  Awesome work all around! 

I'm in some town called Argul, and my hunt indicator says: 2

Freaking love this game we are so lucky to have a classic style RPG on the Lynx!!

I'm planning to have a full overview of the world map at some point, it would look amazing in poster format. Will take a lot of time though, at the moment I'm working on some other projects

• Like 2

Looks like my Journey is at its end...glitches out at Hunt 45.  I can win the hunt but then the screen goes black when i try to enter a town. 

Fun game, beat it and got pretty far!  Will probably order another copy from Carl that doesn't have the glitch in the Hunt and play it through again in 1-2 years. 

Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 1.30.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 1.29.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 1.29.56 PM.png

• 2 weeks later...

Lately I've been entertaining myself with the idea of reusing the engine for a second part (hearing a lot of noise about this, thanks for the encouragement :D).. even if its pretty horribly entangled code, it probably takes only a year or 2 to re-use the engine and focus on content rather than re-implementing it properly and go down developer hell again

• Like 5