IGNORED

HSC Season 15 Round 7: Oils Well & Ardy the Aardvark

Oils Well & Ardy the Aardvark

oils_well.png

Oils Well last played in the HSC's A-Z of gaming. Let's see if anyone can complete it? From memory there are 8 rounds on each skill level and you can earn a certificate for completing it. Good game gets intense. Hold fire to retract your grab, get the bottom stuff early on and use the bomb to slow things down. [HSC Record held by MaPa: 710,330]

RULES: Play on Regular. Emulator users make sure you have overscan turned off [View Overscan Mode Normal] - you should not be able to see past the edges of the screen where the approaching things spawn!

Oils Well - Download XEX, Atarimania Info

ardy_the_aardvark.png

Ardy the Aardvark is more of the same but you steer the tongue back up (I think.) [can press fire just as in Oils Well]

Adry the Aardvark - Download XEX Atarimania Info

bonus challenge find another game using the same concept ! So far carlsson has found: Eggard and Jack the Digger (BASIC) Diamond Mine by Blue Ribbon and Diamond Dave (BASIC) :thumbsup: Also Digger by KESoft

Scoring tbc

Round finishes Sunday 29th April 10AM UK time

Have fun

Edited by therealbountybob
Bonus game links added
  • Like 3

Oil's Well - 11340 pts

post-5454-0-65689700-1523900452.jpg

Ardy the Aardvark - 6000 pts

I suppose this is the "original" game in this genre. More maze shaped levels and a bit more difficult to control than Oil's Well. For me the tongue sometimes takes its own direction.

post-5454-0-78853300-1523900495.jpg

As my bonus game, I chose Eggard by Mats Byström. It seems to only have 1 opponent which you can't kill, and you can't retract the tongue automatically. Still it has some unique charm, which balances it out nicely compared to the other two.

Eggard - 22949 pts

post-5454-0-43252700-1523900781.jpg

• Like 2

Bonus games must have the probe idea ;) Plus O'Rileys is flawed as the better you get the easier the game gets as there is so much stuff on screen you mass too many lives - another fix job required!

post-19705-0-11701200-1523995382.jpg

Ardy 31,215 level 12 I think. Probably make this a bonus game with Oils Well the main game. Ardy is pretty frantic but it's possibly too hard to see / react to what's coming on several of the mazes and that's why they gave you lots of men to start with :ponder:

Carlsson's bunch look like they fits the ticket :thumbsup: I've added links to the first post. [below is not my screenshot!]

jack_the_digger.png

• Like 1

Just for fun, I compared how many games of the same kind exists on the C64 side. It has roughly a dozen (!) simple looking Aardvark clones, of which three made past Y2K without any additional detail than how they looked like 35 years ago. Despite originally being a Commie gamer, I had no idea about all those games, I barely knew Oil's Well. Though there is not that much fun as a developer to keep reinventing the wheel if you make it look and move just like every other wheel on the market. Better a couple fewer games, but with something unique to them.

Then again I haven't checked the entire Fandal, various ABBUC archives etc, perhaps there are another half dozen plain Aardvark clones for the Atari waiting to be discovered...

• Like 1

Just for fun, I compared how many games of the same kind exists on the C64 side. It has roughly a dozen (!) simple looking Aardvark clones, of which three made past Y2K without any additional detail than how they looked like 35 years ago. Despite originally being a Commie gamer, I had no idea about all those games, I barely knew Oil's Well. Though there is not that much fun as a developer to keep reinventing the wheel if you make it look and move just like every other wheel on the market. Better a couple fewer games, but with something unique to them.

Then again I haven't checked the entire Fandal, various ABBUC archives etc, perhaps there are another half dozen plain Aardvark clones for the Atari waiting to be discovered...

Yes, It's nice to see what different people's takes on a theme are.

post-19705-0-62357500-1523995291.jpg

Played Oils Well and still love it, got to round 8 - 46,110 fGet the goblets to boost your scrore! [Escape is pause]

Deteacher and McKong battle it out for ownership of the Oil Facility!

Full HSC points for OILS WELL, Ardy 1pt per player, others to be decided if they are competative games they will score more!

first tables

Oils Well

1st Deteacher 188,300 12pts
2nd McKong 149,210 11pts
3rd therealbountybob 46,110 10pts
4th RedThunder 28,650 9pts
5th carlsson 18,300 8pts
6th jblenkle 7,400 7pts

7th slx 3,050 6pts

Ardy the Ardvaak
1st therealbountybob 31,215 6pts
2nd Deteacher 27,675 5pts
3rd carlsson 13,635 4pts
4th RedThunder 6,400 3pts
5th slx 3,540 2pts

5th jblenkle 2,880 1pt

Jack the Digger
1st RedThunder 5,300 1pt

Eggard

1st carlsson 22,949 1pt

Diamond Dave
playing soon!

Diamond Mine (Blue Ribbon)
playing soon!

Season 15 Current Standings Updated :)

Edited by therealbountybob
corrected!
  • Like 1

Thanks for the likes and encouragement, upped Ardy a bit (find that game a bit more friendly to play).

3050 Oil's Well

post-4219-0-54296600-1524291935.png

11255 7400 3540 Ardy, begin to like that game.... :grin: :

post-4219-0-33881800-1524330857.png

slx jr. gave it a try, too and scored 6350:

post-4219-0-23304100-1524336732.png

Edited by slx
  • Like 2

As there seems to be no manual for Ardy: is the only way to get rid of the spiders to reach one of the "treasure boxes" at the bottom of the level?

Found pics of a manual in this auction. The only way to kill the spider is to reach the power crystals (apparently the spider would crawl towards the tip of your tongue in the Anteater arcade game.

Edited by slx
  • Like 1