IGNORED

I got a switch problem

StanJr

On my all black 4 switch ("Vader" if you must), the Game Reset switch is hard to depress. If you push it down, it "catches" on something. You must add a little extra force to actually get it all the way down. When you do this there is a clicking sound. Once you do, it functions properly. All other buttons work as the are meant to.

What is wrong and how can I fix?

Beswitched Stan

[ 02-18-2002: Message edited by: StanJr ]

Sounds to me like the switch is gone bad, which they do. You will need to either keep using the switch as it is until it quits working all together or go ahead and replace it now.

After looking through my Radio Shack catalog to be sure, Radio Shack does not sell a replacement switch.

I do know of a few various places that sell switches that are very close to Atari 2600 switches, perhaps even the same. The only problem is the $20 minimum order, the switches themselves cost about $3.00

I'll see if I can find somewhere else for you to get one if you want me to.

no way to take that switch out and apart and just give it a good cleaning can you?

Most of the switches get corroded over time. So a little reforming...and a pink pearl eraser...and BOOM! Your good to go...

I know the reset has a spring but otherwise it shouldn't be too big a deal.

Also, I have looked for the exact switch but I bet one of several electronic hobby stores around town would have this switch for a couple bucks or so...

Just need to know exactly what kind of switch it might be called.