IGNORED

Woo hoo ... I got a Geneve! Now What?

coolio

Thank you for the compliment!

Two things leads me when I work on my Genny and TI-99 computers: Take all the necessery time, never be in a hurry and lots of love for these boards :-)

Some years ago, I found a Geneve9640 schematic, not on good quality. So I cleaned and redrawn it. You can see it here: http://www.ti99.com/geneve/index.php?fr/article30/schemas-electronique-de-geneve-9640schematic-geneve-9640-1.gif

• Like 5

Yes, ftp.whtech.com contain plenty of interesting documents.

Attention: The document schematic geneve 9640 circa 1986 - scanned by Paul Charlton.pdf on ftp.whtech.com is very interesting too but it contains some errors. This is the document that I cleaned, and I also made some correction it. So, I encourage you to use the document on my website.

• Like 1

Thank you for the compliment!

Two things leads me when I work on my Genny and TI-99 computers: Take all the necessery time, never be in a hurry and lots of love for these boards :-)

Some years ago, I found a Geneve9640 schematic, not on good quality. So I cleaned and redrawn it. You can see it here: http://www.ti99.com/geneve/index.php?fr/article30/schemas-electronique-de-geneve-9640

Nice. I did not even know this schematic existed from Paul! At Cecure we used the schematics drawn by John Strain, which are in the WHT folder Michael linked us to.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, again.

I am assembling my parts to put together my Geneve as a working system, and will start my refurbishment of the board soon. I picked up a cheap PEB on eBay with the disk. disk controller card, RS232, and 32K installed for $100, all working too. I got an XT keyboard, and the SCART Genie with an HDMI upscaler.

I do have a few questions for the Geneve gurus:

• Can I use the TI disk controller as is? Can/should I do the 80 track upgrade to the card? Will that work with the original TI disk drive?
  • What kind of mouse does the Geneve use?
  • I understand that I can't use the 32K card with the Geneve. However, what PEB cards can I use with the Geneve? What ones should I seek out for a good Geneve system?
  • Should I do the 2 amp upgrade to the PEB, or will the stock power levels for the PEB work fine for the Geneve? I do plan on getting rid of the noisy fan and replacing it with a quieter one.
  • Any Geneve modifications I should consider a "must have"?

Thanks!

Highly unlikely in this day and age you will find a mouse new in box that will work with the Geneve. There are some bus style mice available back in the 80's and early 90's, however, not sure what you will come across anymore. I had a Logitech bus mouse back early on in the 80's. There were two bus style mice back then by Logitech, one being a low resolution mouse and the other a high resolution mouse. Both had different pinouts than Myarc's mouse. I wrote an article on the high resolution mouse pinouts that should be available somewhere on whtech under the 9640News folders. There are very few programs at present that use the mouse and only if you plan on using MyArt, YAPP, or TI-Artist would I consider making a concerted effort to get a mouse.

I would not do any 80 track upgrades on the TI FDC. In fact, I am not sure if the Geneve operating system would allow 80 track usage on a TI FDC. It is possible the SETDSK command may override the default track usage, but I can not say for sure anyone has done it with a TI FDC. The CorComp FDC, the Myarc FDC and Myarc HFDC were capable and MDOS looked for specific dip switch settings, but I do not recall that being possible with the TI FDC. Either way, if it were to work, I do not think the TI FDC would need to be eprom modified. Not sure what/if any hardware modifications would be needed.

Minimally, I would add the 32K onboard high speed ram to the Geneve. That will get you to more memory and no issues using the later versions of the operating system. Adding the 64K Vram does offer some minor options as a second upgrade route.

My 2 cents.

Hi all, again.

I am assembling my parts to put together my Geneve as a working system, and will start my refurbishment of the board soon. I picked up a cheap PEB on eBay with the disk. disk controller card, RS232, and 32K installed for $100, all working too. I got an XT keyboard, and the SCART Genie with an HDMI upscaler.

I do have a few questions for the Geneve gurus:

• Can I use the TI disk controller as is? Can/should I do the 80 track upgrade to the card? Will that work with the original TI disk drive?
  • What kind of mouse does the Geneve use?
  • I understand that I can't use the 32K card with the Geneve. However, what PEB cards can I use with the Geneve? What ones should I seek out for a good Geneve system?
  • Should I do the 2 amp upgrade to the PEB, or will the stock power levels for the PEB work fine for the Geneve? I do plan on getting rid of the noisy fan and replacing it with a quieter one.
  • Any Geneve modifications I should consider a "must have"?

Thanks!

Fabrice, who has posted above has a lot of stuff abut the Geneve, here. Look at the PFM+ for example, a great way to have MDOS on the Geneve, almost an instant bootup.

I tested an 80 track modified TIFDC controller with my Geneve and it created a particular problem:

If the ROM is configured for DSK1 to be 80 track, then you can't usefully boot from the floppy. It'll load the system off what has to be an 80 track disk, but the master dsr assumes the TIFDC is 40 track, so it fails to load the AUTOEXEC file.

Maybe if your 80 track mod was in the 40/80/80 configuration, but then you gain nothing.

-M@

I tested an 80 track modified TIFDC controller with my Geneve and it created a particular problem:

If the ROM is configured for DSK1 to be 80 track, then you can't usefully boot from the floppy. It'll load the system off what has to be an 80 track disk, but the master dsr assumes the TIFDC is 40 track, so it fails to load the AUTOEXEC file.

To get around this you will need to force the DSR to use 80 tracks when the OS initializes. This is done by either using the CYA utility or sector editing the MDOS SETDSK table. The former is much simpler for MDOS v4.00 to 6.50.

In theory the MDOS powerup routine can be updated to detect the TI 80 track ROM configuration and apply it at startup. Still leaves the Corcomp and standard TIFDC without a powerup detection method for 80 tracks, so I don't see much value in going this route.

• 2 years later...

So I'm wondering, because I don't know much about geneve, but can I write assembly code just like I do with the 4A, via editor assembler and then assemble with the same assembler, meaning I have to be in gpl mode to test in? I'm not interested in programming in gpl btw.

4 hours ago, globeron said:
Edited by GDMike

13 minutes ago, GDMike said:

Naa...it looks like someone made a pdf with unlicensed adobe, because every other page has an ad at the bottom of the page. Good grief

That is on your end, buddy.  When I open it there are no ads, neither in my browser nor in Acrobat.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, GDMike said:

I'll dig up the laptop and print from it. 

Great to know that it's just me, I only found that one manual. Don't know if there is anything regarding MDOS books, etc

If you are going to program on the Geneve, then use the GenASM package.  There is a complete manual, and the associated manuals for GenPROG, GenLINK, and GenMAKE are excellent resources.

DSR code that you might use under MDOS mode would not be compatible with running under GPL/TI-994A emulation mode.  It's probably easier to program under MDOS mode than under TI mode due to all the XOP's which are essentially embedded code into MDOS that gives you access to memory, video, math, dsr, and utilities.

Beery

• Like 1