IGNORED

Commando music

Asmusr

Daniel Bienvenu/newcoleco has made a wonderful version of the music from the C64 game Commando for the Colecovision:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/276060-what-is-this-music-i-am-working-on/?do=findComment&comment=3996953

Here is his music converted to run on the TI. It has suffered a little but from the conversion, and the PSGs are slightly different, but it still sounds great.

What I did was to play the music on the Meka emulator and rip it it to VGM. I could then compress it using Tursi's tools and play it back on the TI.

The original is for 50Hz but I have also made a version for 60Hz.

Note: My version of Classic99 (399a) is playing this way too fast in Normal CPU mode, but it's fine in CPU Overdrive mode. Almost like the modes are switched?

Commando.zip

• Like 6

Since both systems use the same VDP, perhaps graphic artists on the Colecovision and TI-99/4A can co-operate to produce workable graphics that can be implemented on both systems. As noted in the Colecovision camp, there is a rather dull looking MSX version of Commando, and a surprisingly better looking ZX Spectrum (non-VDP) version.

• Like 1

Well done. It sounds like the "bass" channel is a half-tone off which is common moving between PSGs. Check out these conversions and see what you think. BIN will load in SoundListRipper (though not recognized until 15 bytes in, but still playable.)

Yes that sounds much better. I will try to use that version on the TI.

Edited by Asmusr
  • Like 1

This is perhaps better but I still hear some off-key bass notes.

It seems like a problem in the compression from VGM to SPF (Sound Player Format) - the format that can be played on the TI using Tursi's player. My guess is that Tursi's tool assumes the tune is from an SN76489A (Sega Master System) that has 16 stage periodic noise, but this is from an original SN76489 /TMS9919 with 15 stage noise, so the usual transformation of the periodic noise frequency by 15/16 is not required or desirable.

COMMANDO60-fixed-8.bin

• Like 2

Yeah, there is something being lost in translation there. If Tursi has time maybe he can chime in. I can make adjustment en-masse on the periodic noise. Normally the difference is a semi-tone lower than the TI, so setting it up a semi-tone should compensate. I will play with that in a bit. Also strange about the CPU speed setting and playback speed.

Remember @retroclouds' Gyruss demo. Pretty bad-ass.

Oh, I am tied up today with work so it will be later tonight or tomorrow when I can work out the tuning change. I have to modify my script to accept non-note tone values to change them up (been wanting to do this, anyway.) The periodic driver in tone three uses >080, >088, and >040 which do not align to a known note per the EA manual. I have to look at the closest note, approximate the distance the value exists between that and the next note, make the note adjustment, then apply the difference value. I have not yet gotten to where I can give it specific values to modify but that is in the TODO list.

Here is a new version where the bass notes sound right. In anyone wants a disk version I can post that as well.

Tursi helped me to get it right. A VGM file has an attribute in the header at offset >2a that specifies number of bits in the noise shift register of the PSG: If this is set to 16, Tursi's tool will convert the noise to 15 bit. Since OLDCS1 had already converted the noise, I had to set this byte to 15 in order not to double-convert the noise.

commando-music-60hz-8.bin

• Like 2

I found when I played with that flag VGMPlay would play properly but VLC player would not, and vice-versa. The way my script sets the flag now the VGMs it creates play properly in VGMPlay.

I'm confused, and I can verifyconfirm that the vgm no longer sounds right in VGMPlay after changing the flag, but it seems to convert correctly to the TI.

I have attached the full package with disk and 50 Hz files.

Commando-music.zip

Edited by Asmusr
  • Like 1

I'm confused, and I can verify that the vgm no longer sounds right in VGMPlay after changing the flag, but it seems to convert correctly to the TI.

I have attached the full package with disk and 50 Hz files.

I am talking about the VGM I created. I took your VGM, loaded it into my ISR manipulation script, adjusted for NTSC and the semi-tone for the noise channel, then saved as a new VGM. That VGM plays properly in VGMPlay but not VLC. I made that header adjustment back when I was working on the theme for 1942.

Remember @retroclouds' Gyruss demo. Pretty bad-ass.

Oh, I am tied up today with work so it will be later tonight or tomorrow when I can work out the tuning change. I have to modify my script to accept non-note tone values to change them up (been wanting to do this, anyway.) The periodic driver in tone three uses >080, >088, and >040 which do not align to a known note per the EA manual. I have to look at the closest note, approximate the distance the value exists between that and the next note, make the note adjustment, then apply the difference value. I have not yet gotten to where I can give it specific values to modify but that is in the TODO list.

Here's the Gyruss demo. Just tried it in classic99 and js99er, still works :-)

Mount the disk, then E/A option 5; DSK1.#GYRUSS

gyruss.dsk

Edited by retroclouds
  • Like 4

Here's the Gyruss demo. Just tried it in classic99 and js99er, still works :-)

Mount the disk, then E/A option 5; DSK1.#GYRUSS

attachicon.gifgyruss.dsk

Whoa, I've never seen/heard that before - it was probably released just before my time :). Did you poke the ROM with immunity to be able to record the music without any sound effects?

Whoa, I've never seen/heard that before - it was probably released just before my time :). Did you poke the ROM with immunity to be able to record the music without any sound effects?

I can't remember doing any ROM changes. If you listen closely you do hear some sound-effects coming through. There's a thread here on Atariage in our forum, but I can't find it anymore. The search functionality also did not help. Think the thread was probably somewhere around 2013 or so.