IGNORED

Baby Pac-Man

PacManPlus

Hey Robert...hope all is well with you...as far as slow down it seems to do it more so when all the ghosts and baby pac man are on the lower half of the screen. I am not a programmer of games so coding help I cannot give ..although I will say that those pesky ghosts are fast... having a hard time out running them he he he he

• Like 1

Yep - NIKON, you are right... when everyone is at the bottom, it slows down. When everyone is at the top, everything is at normal speed.

That is VERY strange... because all I do is compute the goal tile for each monster, doesn't matter where they are... This is going to be a tough one.

Nice job, Trebor - although it's amazing the difference there will be once I make them reverse direction at will like the arcade does. :P

Yes, I am going to code the pinball portion as well. I actually am going to use ball code from "Crazy Brix", with some gravity added to the ball physics.

Does anyone know of a quick way to divide by 6 in Assembler? I 'borrowed' the code from Ms. Pac-Man to do that, and it does it the long way (keeps subtracting 6 until it gets a small number)... I'm wondering if that is contributing to the problem... the lower on the screen that the objects are, the more subtractions that have to happen.

I need a quick way to divide by 6 methinks.

Thanks guys

• Like 1

Time for a cute baby video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOhZPescEiE

Well Trebor you just blew my high score right out of the water on the first board with one baby pac!

I dropped this Rom on CPUWIZ’s old Concerto and it works like a champ on real hardware.

Nice job again Bob!

While Baby Pac would not have been my choice for a 7800 home brew as I have NO connection to the arcade game. I never saw it in my little AZ town growing up. This is a great little game even with just the video portion. This is gonna be great once the Pin is implemented.

Not to derail this thread but after Baby Pac is done maybe you could revisit Defender.

“Pretty Please” [emoji6]

Keep at it Bob. This really good at this early stage. Yet another solid Pac-ManPlus product. Thanks again for keeping the 7800 alive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Nice job, Trebor - although it's amazing the difference there will be once I make them reverse direction at will like the arcade does. :P

Yes, I am going to code the pinball portion as well. I actually am going to use ball code from "Crazy Brix", with some gravity added to the ball physics.

Does anyone know of a quick way to divide by 6 in Assembler? I 'borrowed' the code from Ms. Pac-Man to do that, and it does it the long way (keeps subtracting 6 until it gets a small number)... I'm wondering if that is contributing to the problem... the lower on the screen that the objects are, the more subtractions that have to happen.

Thanks guys

You may get some inspiration from this thread.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/113254-fast-divide-by-seven/

• Like 1

Ok - got the divide by 6 figured out, and it looks like that WAS the slowdown issue. I made it a table read instead of computing it. Much faster.

Next Version attached here. There should be no slowdown.

@groundtrooper: I may come back to Defender, but once this is finished I'd like to get back to "ReZolve" or "Adventure III: The Race for The Chalice" first.

Thanks guys-

BabyPac.A78

BabyPac.BIN

• Like 10

Ok - got the divide by 6 figured out, and it looks like that WAS the slowdown issue. I made it a table read instead of computing it. Much faster.

I wasn't going to suggest that, due to space, but that is the perfect solution. Something, pretty much everyone failed at in my programmers test, when I was running the development at Namco, almost 20 years ago. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

The reverse direction and having to earn the energizer will make a huge difference.

For those not familiar, in the full game with pinball included, Baby Pac starts the maze with no energizers on the maze. Baby Pac can escape to the bottom from the get-go, but those power pellets still need to be earned in the pinball playfield.

Just the video portion with energizers already present is for...

babies :-D

...That is VERY strange... because all I do is compute the goal tile for each monster, doesn't matter where they are... This is going to be a tough one...

Next Version attached here. There should be no slowdown.

59 minutes later - "tough" one knocked out...Awesome, Bob...Great job! Impressive, as usual.

Note: I know Bob has mentioned the slowdown earlier, it just struck me funny that it's mentioned as a tough one and less than an hour later, he figured it out. It's like Bob's the Chuck Norris of 7800 programming.

• Like 6

I was really busy with work and ill for a while and had family from Germany here etc., lots of stuff is super hectic. But I just pulled this box and it looks like many MCP devkits I completed with the Rev.B Versa Board, which has some stuff of the POKEY exposed, that nobody has done before, like SIO. It also has space for a surface mount PIC, that can handle extra address decoding and send it to the PLD as a single signal.

In hindsight, I should have put a ICP header for both PIC's on the board.

IMG_3777.jpg

• Like 5

Bob, this looks great!!

I just now caught up on this thread...I'm thinking I read it in my sleep before or something. I thought maybe it was a dream...My friend has a Baby Pac Man game in his house, although at this point it needs some restoration, or at least some TLC, and he's always out of town anyway...But that's another story. I was just thinking that I Do have a connection to this game, even if it's just a few plays in the arcades long ago...And some more about 8 or 10 years ago at my friend's house.

It will be Fantastic to see a version on the 7800!!! I hope it all comes together nicely !

Cheers!

• Like 2

Thanks guys

Divide by six is easy. First bit shift the becimal point (binary decimal) to the right... or was it left... then divide by three.

Checking to see if there's a fast way to divide by three in binary. Er, I meant to say eleven. Because 11 binary = 3. The digit value for 3 in binary does not exist. Multiplicand is easier. Bit shift to the left... or was it right... can't remember. And sum it with the original. To dividend, do the inverse of the multiplicand. Easir to describe in human then in code. Unless you're a robot. Then it's easier to describe in code than in human.

Bob, are you a robot? Because your arcade game ports to 7800 are perfect in every way. But the infinite number of iterations required to achieve them are not. A human drank too much ethyl alcohol tonight and confused himself for a robot. Does not compute. Self destruct sequence initiated... :P

Johnny Five not alive... brain function short curcuited. Bad human...

• Like 2