IGNORED

Baby Pac-Man

PacManPlus

I am going to have the pinball part on the screen. Think a cross between Atari's 'Video Pinball' and my 'Crazy Brix', although the pinball part will be in 160A mode.

Regarding controllers, I am also going to mimic the controls from Atari's 'Video Pinball'.

Thanks, guys

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 7

The game is looking so good will be a buy for me for sure. I was wondering how is the pinball part going will it use the two fire buttons for the flippers?

If so, I hope it's an option - not the default. Reaching over to pick up another controller while in game, doesn't strike me as being too desirable. Midnight Magic plays perfectly fine with one controller and have to admit Bumper Bash rarely ever gets played due to its controller config. :(

Intro tune completed. Also implemented shortening blue times as the levels progress.

Currently trying to figure out how to how to account for the player moving fast through the tunnel, while not 'missing' a monster if one or more is in the tunnel as well.

• Like 3

Currently trying to figure out how to how to account for the player moving fast through the tunnel, while not 'missing' a monster if one or more is in the tunnel as well.

I seem to recall 7800 uses software collision detection? If so a "stretched image" for the collision routine should work, wider for side tunnels, taller for top/bottom tunnels.

• Like 1

If so, I hope it's an option - not the default. Reaching over to pick up another controller while in game, doesn't strike me as being too desirable. Midnight Magic plays perfectly fine with one controller and have to admit Bumper Bash rarely ever gets played due to its controller config. :(

Bob made mention of mimicking 2600 Video Pinball as far as controls are concerned. Which means:

Joystick Left.........Left Flipper

Joystick Right.......Right Flipper

Joystick Up..........Both Flippers

Joystick Down......Pull Plunger Back

Joystick Button.....Release Plunger

:)

So definitely not the default utilizing two controllers (or two buttons) for a one player game, if an option as all. This is just slightly different from Midnight Magic where joystick down performs the plunger back as well as both flippers.

• Like 2

I think the option for during the 7800 two buttons would be cool give a pinball feel

Definitely can see an alternate/additional method of controlling the flippers with...

P1 Joystick Left/1st button = Left Flipper

P2 Joystick Right/2nd button = Right Flipper

...would make for an interesting close approximation of achieving a pinball feel; especially if each controller is mounted or at least stationed on a flat surface. The outside button of each controller could be tapped similar to tapping the sides of a pinball machine's buttons.

Yeah, use joystick left & right for the flippers...but also have the right button also do the right flipper for those with the 7800 gamepad.

Honestly, I love the NES gamepad for pinball game conversions. I even modded a cheap 2600 joystick from Radio Shack to use "buttons" instead of the stick itself for games like Midnight Magic & Video Pinball.

• Like 1

Definitely can see an alternate/additional method of controlling the flippers with...

P1 Joystick Left/1st button = Left Flipper

P2 Joystick Right/2nd button = Right Flipper

...would make for an interesting close approximation of achieving a pinball feel; especially if each controller is mounted or at least stationed on a flat surface. The outside button of each controller could be tapped similar to tapping the sides of a pinball machine's buttons.

...except I'm pretty sure the flipper buttons on Baby Pac are on the actual video game control panel, no??? (in which case an Edladdin Twin Super 78 would be perfect...)

EDIT:

Whoops! Yeah....they're indeed on the sides...in addition to having control panel mounted buttons....

post-1050-0-15639700-1527346240.png

• Like 3

Okay so far only half way done, so when are you going to add the Pinball section of the game like reused Midnight Magic into Baby Pac-Man table? You can use the 7800 double sided buttons as Flippers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-bvx4__If0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4XrDzts460

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJvabA-EFD0

He is going to add it when he feels like it. Gosh wahdayah think?
  • Like 2

Okay so far only half way done, so when are you going to add the Pinball section of the game like reused Midnight Magic into Baby Pac-Man table? You can use the 7800 double sided buttons as Flippers.

That was completely uncalled for, and an apology would be in order.

Don't like how development's going? Start your own port. But keep the snarky demands to yourself.

• Like 5

That was completely uncalled for, and an apology would be in order.

Don't like how development's going? Start your own port. But keep the snarky demands to yourself.

I think and so does everyone think it is looking great so far. I hope that was just misworded and not meant to be rude.

I watched a baby pac man video of the arcade and so far this looks amazing.

Of course Bob is not putting a freaking pinball table in everyones room to play that part of the game. But he is going to do one hell of a job on the virtual 7800 pinball portion of the game.

How do I know this?

Well I have a case of his games and I know the level of detail he puts into things like physics,AI,gameplay, etc.

• Like 4