IGNORED

AVGCART

tmp

I am in need of some help, what I want to do has maybe been tried before , but I have my AVG cart hooked up to my 850 interface. I would like to try and run first the Basic XE cart on the AVG cart then boot into Forem XE, I have a nice WIFI card plugged into port 1 on the 850 Interface , what I would need would be to put the Forem XE program into slot one and just see what I need to get it running on my 850 interface. If I can get all 4 ports working with WIFI cards (I can get them for $10.00 Canadian each, already made up and in the housing of an analog modem with all lights connected. There is a guy that makes these WIFI modems for me with power supplies and cables for the 850 interface. Obviously ports 2,3,4 on the 850 have to be wired right, IF I can get one WIFI modem to work , I will probably work on Puff BBS so that it uses all 4 ports instead of a black box.

Russ

On 12/10/2022 at 6:15 PM, Mclaneinc said:

Hi @tmp, will the whole thing get to a customer level at some point?

i don't see why not, if there's interest

17 hours ago, rcamp48 said:

I am in need of some help, what I want to do has maybe been tried before , but I have my AVG cart hooked up to my 850 interface. I would like to try and run first the Basic XE cart on the AVG cart then boot into Forem XE, I have a nice WIFI card plugged into port 1 on the 850 Interface , what I would need would be to put the Forem XE program into slot one and just see what I need to get it running on my 850 interface. If I can get all 4 ports working with WIFI cards (I can get them for $10.00 Canadian each, already made up and in the housing of an analog modem with all lights connected. There is a guy that makes these WIFI modems for me with power supplies and cables for the 850 interface. Obviously ports 2,3,4 on the 850 have to be wired right, IF I can get one WIFI modem to work , I will probably work on Puff BBS so that it uses all 4 ports instead of a black box.

Russ

I'm not sure what you need help with, you should be able to run both CAR and ATR at the same time, mount one using TAB and run the other with RETURN

8 hours ago, tmp said:

i don't see why not, if there's interest

I'm not sure what you need help with, you should be able to run both CAR and ATR at the same time, mount one using TAB and run the other with RETURN

I got it working but my my program that I have written does not write to drive 2 on the AVG cart even after using shift 1 and shift 2 , the Hardball Disk Editor that I wrote 35 years ago I thing writes to disk 1 even though I pressed 2 on the keyboard for it to write to disk 2, have a look at it tmp , I was a lot more creative back in the 80s, half of what I did then I do not remember now. Part of growing old I guess. Oh ya you have to boot with Basi enabled

Hardball-Team-Editor.atr hardball Team Creator Docs.atr HardBall (1985)(Accolade)(US) Master.atr HardBall (1985)(Accolade)(US)Copy.ATR Automatically calculate HEX strings for Hardball Editing.atr

Edited by rcamp48

4 hours ago, rcamp48 said:

I got it working but my my program that I have written does not write to drive 2 on the AVG cart even after using shift 1 and shift 2 , the Hardball Disk Editor that I wrote 35 years ago I thing writes to disk 1 even though I pressed 2 on the keyboard for it to write to disk 2, have a look at it tmp , I was a lot more creative back in the 80s, half of what I did then I do not remember now. Part of growing old I guess. Oh ya you have to boot with Basi enabled

check whether the atr file on card does not have read-only attribute set

is this via sio cable?

On 12/11/2022 at 8:37 AM, rcamp48 said:

Obviously ports 2,3,4 on the 850 have to be wired right, IF I can get one WIFI modem to work , I will probably work on Puff BBS so that it uses all 4 ports instead of a black box.

Depending on what signals the WiFi needs to work, port #2 and #3 may be an issue.  I don't think port #4 can be used at all for things like a modem.

12 hours ago, tmp said:

check whether the atr file on card does not have read-only attribute set

is this via sio cable?

Ya it is , I will check it out later but for now I am using the Fujinet , and I did complete my program for both creating the Master disk from several Team disks and creating Team disks from the newly created Masters

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, mimo said:

An Xmas gift from @tmp ?

Not sure how to enable it or if it is for the newer carts only?

it needs a firmware upgrade which i can't release because last month i nuked the cart emulation code and started to rewrite it so it's not such a huge convoluted mess and it's not done yet

it should be out next year

• Like 9

new beta

- ability to enable 1088kB in settings, needs powercycle after running stuff that uses it, works only with ATR (convert XEX to ATR if needed)

- CAR emulation rewritten so report broken stuff

- fixes (joystick now works in search, X should work in sdx stack, search through > 8192 folders shouldn't freeze anymore)

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

On 1/2/2023 at 2:09 PM, tmp said:

new beta

- ability to enable 1088kB in settings, needs powercycle after running stuff that uses it, works only with ATR (convert XEX to ATR if needed)

- CAR emulation rewritten so report broken stuff

- fixes (joystick now works in search, X should work in sdx stack, search through > 8192 folders shouldn't freeze anymore)

Thanks @tmp.

I received an AVGCART for Christmas with all of the cables (and sweets).

I wasn't sure about upgrading to a beta firmware just after I received it but I held my breath as instructed and the upgrade completed.

I am running AVGCART with my 256K 800XL. With the PBI cable attached I now have 512KB expanded memory instead of 192K as expected, but see no way to enable 1MB. What key combo is required please?

• 3 weeks later...

@Albert your mailbox is full, please disregard the fix request in this thread, it's fine the way it is and you can delete this message once the flag is handled. The post was correct but probably needed a line for clarity which was cleared up later.

Edited by _The Doctor__

I have seen somewhere in my searches instructions on how to reset the AVG cart, I originally tried to set it up as a side 2 loader cart and ever since then the AVF movies have never worked right. 

From what I hear I need to reset my AVG cart and that should solve the problem.

I want to start making AVF movies again, in both PAL and NTSC.

Here are some of my ideas for AVF movies:

TV series:

Mash

Hogan's Heroes all seasons

The Muppet Show all seasons

The Simpsons all seasons

Hee Haw all seasons

Ms Brown's Boys

I Dream of Jeanie

Cartoons:

Bugs Bunny

Coyote and The Road Runner

The Jetsons

The Flintstones

I am sure that others can think of many many more TV series or Cartoons that would be good to digitize , as for music I have access soon to over 350 GIGS of MP3s from ABBA to ZZ-Top, and in fact have a lot of them.

Another thing is to take all of my 10000+ midi files as convert them too , as they sound really nice when played back as MIDI , (I specialize in making popular MIDI tunes sound like they are being played on an NES machine with the MES plugin from Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio, I basically can put in ANY instruments that I want and write out either a newer MIDI file or even better write out the same thing in an MP3 file). Hows that for an Atari , playing back an NES rendition of say Red Red Wine from UB40 (I think its UB40) or some other popular reggae tune 

Russ

Hello, I have a small problem after connecting to sio avg cart + atari 1010 tape recorder avgcart does not load atr files, goes into self test, while xc12 works properly, which may be the problem. tested on 2 tape recorders 1010 Japanese version. Thanks for the help.

1 hour ago, lexx said:

Hello, I have a small problem after connecting to sio avg cart + atari 1010 tape recorder avgcart does not load atr files, goes into self test, while xc12 works properly, which may be the problem. tested on 2 tape recorders 1010 Japanese version. Thanks for the help.

can you elaborate a bit on your setup, i'm a bit lost here

i assume you're connecting both avgcart sio cable and 1010 at the same time, using passthrough on 1010 or do you have a splitter?

how does xc12 work properly, in what setup? (xc12 doesn't have passtrough sio connector afaik)

going into self test means that atari doesn't get response for d1: requests and since avgcart disables basic when atr is started, it goes into self test

if you have eci/pbi cable, you cart run atr through it (shift-return if sio cable is connected)

I haven't had the AVGcart SIO cord/eci/pbi and wanted 2 for testing and fun.

If it isn't a configuration issue...

I can work vicariously through lexx then,

Lexx are you sure to set up AVG before then connecting cassette deck making sure tape is not on or empty in AVG.

does the AVGcart play nice with external disk drives, using the normal methods of empty slots in AVGcart for real drives assigned to that slot being turned on and in use. We can't have 2 drives occupying the same slot.

If either are not working, then we have to consider SIO contention mods either in firmware if the chip can work in that mode for the pins purposed or isolation chip controlled by the AVG.

Edited by _The Doctor__