IGNORED

Show Us Your Modern Gaming Handheld Of Choice

With life being more busy and complicated than ever a lot of us turn to portable systems to get in gaming fixes without having to be tethered to a television set, so I thought it could be fun to have a thread for people to show off and talk about the systems they use the most for modern gaming on the go. The key words here are "the most", since I'm sure many of us have collected several modern portables, so the question is which one do you actually take with you the majority of the time? Are you a fan of the Switch or 3DS, or maybe the Vita is more to your liking? Maybe you're happy just playing Atari 2600 games so an Atari Flashback Portable does it for you, or perhaps all of your portable modern gaming needs are now met by just a smartphone or tablet? In any case, snap a picture and let us know! :)

My modern handheld of choice is a Galaxy Style New 3DS XL. I've had a bit of a love affair with the idea of stereoscopic 3D gaming ever since the original 3DS was debuted, but it wasn't until the New 3DS line of systems came along with face tracking technology to keep the 3D image in focus that the idea I was so fond of became a practical reality. Now I can play games in 3D all day long with no eye strain, headaches, or motion sickness like I used to get from the old 3DS systems after 15 or 20 minutes of playing a game in 3D.

I also really like the StreetPass and Play Coin pedometer features of the 3DS systems, both of which are fun little additions that encourage you to take it with you wherever you go. The eShop and Virtual Console are pretty great too. If Nintendo ever releases a smaller and more pocket friendly Switch system I might give it a try, but in it's current form the Switch is just a little too big and bulky for me to carry around; so I'm quite happy just tossing my New 3DS XL in a slim travel case and letting it ride around in my pocket everywhere I go. :)

WGVFs71.jpg

Edited by Jin
  • Like 2

"The most" is the hard part - I feel like I split up my handheld time pretty evenly between PSP, PS Vita and Switch. But if I had to pick, it's the PS Vita. I just think it's got a great library that's more varied in genres than the 3DS and more extensive than the Switch (though mostly just due to age), and it's the right size for something to carry around. It also gets great battery life.

I don't have a huge number of games for it but I have several that I can go back and play anytime, forever. Puyo Puyo Tetris, Hot Shots Golf, Virtua Tennis 4, Powerful Pro-kun Baseball, Project Diva F2, DOA5, and then there are some longer games that I still haven't finished yet like Persona 4 and Uncharted Golden Abyss that I play in little chunks when I have time.

Same pic I posted yesterday in the Vita thread but it's the only one I have... from when I first got it in 2014.

post-6166-0-41004300-1524941953_thumb.jpg

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

The PSP. Usually my 3000 but occasionally the Go, which is well suited to RPGs but maybe not so much action games. I do have a Vita (and two PSTVs... oy) but the screen got a scratch on the top and I removed the glare-proof coating trying to remove it. All the PSTVs are getting at the moment are coats of dust.

• Like 1

Normally when I go out, I bring my 3DS with me (the regular sized white New "Happy Home Designer" bundle with Totakeke cover plates on it).

I don't dare bring it to work though. Lately, I've been playing a lot of DS at work (my original silver "fat" model, obviously not "modern"). It's nice to have a choice between DS or GBA in one device, but sometimes I'll bring my GBC or Pocket instead when I'm working through an older game (also not modern).

Edited by Asaki

post-9942-0-46431800-1525364896.jpeg

Absolutely love that 3ds. If I'm headed out of town, it goes with me. Also have a GBA that I enjoy a lot, because I love game boy games, but in the last few years I've been feeling screen fatigue with it. I will probably upgrade it to an SP or hacked GBA at some point, but for now I'll just enjoy the 3DS. Also have a Sega Gopher, which is nice for a change of pace but has too many limitations to be a primary portable.

I definitely see myself gettin a switch soon, but even when I do, I see that as being more of a home console. I plan to use the 3DS as my portable far into the future.

• Like 2

Okay here is my beloved Zelda edition 3DS XL...has been napping lately but i'm sure many good hours of play and years ahead together.

I am open to the idea of getting a "new" 3DS XL but honestly there hasn't been a design/color scheme that has really caught my eye yet.

post-38373-0-60595400-1525435490_thumb.jpg