IGNORED

Atari / Retro videogame podcast recommendations

redsteakraw

There's a thread here with a name like "two podcasts of note" that is a never ending list of recommendations.

I find many of the classic gaming themed podcasts a bit dull -- there's not always a lot to say about these simple old games, many of which speak for themselves, but here are a few that I like:

The Retroist

Focused on 1980s culture in general, often includes tv shows and movies as well as games. Can be formulaic but it's always well planned out and doesn't overstay its welcome. Consistently listenable.

The Intellivisionaries

Can be a bit full of itself with the in-jokes and banter, and runs way too long (thank goodness for fast forward), but it has interesting interviews with programmers from the original Intellivision and very deep dives on early game design. Cute original music and silly riffs on George Plimpton.

Retronauts

Mostly NES and later, largely ignorant about Atari, but worth a listen when they know their stuff. Terrible ad placement, which is skippable of course.

Player One Podcast

Long running show by some former EGM writers. Focus on modern games but plenty of retro talk, especially NES and SEGA CD. Good rapport and active community.

Touch Arcade

Not really Classic, though they often touch on it because many modern mobile games share the same DNA as old designs.

Not listed: shows with flabby or nonexistent editing, screaming hosts, unprepared rambling that doesn't respect my time, and people who hate on modern games.

• Like 1

The Intellivisionaries

Can be a bit full of itself with the in-jokes and banter, and runs way too long (thank goodness for fast forward), but it has interesting interviews with programmers from the original Intellivision and very deep dives on early game design. Cute original music and silly riffs on George Plimpton.

All true. LOL!!

• Like 1

Player One Podcast, looking from the show descriptions, seems like a modern-era podcast. I'll give it a try tho.

Yes, don't forget Atari 2600 Game By Game.

Also try Pie Factory & Ten Pence Arcade - both arcade-focused 'casts.

The thread is "2 worthy video game podcasts".

• Like 1