IGNORED

Scorched/Worms/Angry Bird kind of games

I was thinking that a game like that is missing for the Atari 8-bit platform.

Just yesterday I turned on my "old" iPhone 4 and played a Scorched Earth clone, it is so addictive and thrilling specially when you restrict the time to shoot to few seconds.

This style of games is also cool, in the sense of the physics of the game (flat Earth vs spheric, wind, gravity, etc), and it is incredible how a few more options like time to shoot or different ammunition change the dynamic of the game.

Just food for thought...

Angry Bird would be quite a challenge, considering all the rigid bodies physics in play there.

I agree. There was a homebrew port for the Sega Genesis that was OK, but it was clear that the physics were just not there. The game is deceptively processor-intensive. There was also a Famicom port of some type that did its best, but it's just not something for an 8-bit (or even 16-bit) system to tussle with.

T-34 The Battle .. was a nice surprise.

Just tried T-34 to see what it's like and as emkay says it is really quite good and it's worth checking out. Changing the settings ( Gravity etc ) add a twist.

I don't think an 8-Bit CPU could handle all the physics calculations for a full-on Angry Birds game

Edited by Vyper68
  • Like 1

I agree. There was a homebrew port for the Sega Genesis that was OK, but it was clear that the physics were just not there. The game is deceptively processor-intensive. There was also a Famicom port of some type that did its best, but it's just not something for an 8-bit (or even 16-bit) system to tussle with.

It's probably the biggest ballsache of a job to do even for modern machines. The amount of fun I've had in games where the physics has just exploded randomly due to inaccuracy...

• 2 years later...
On 5/2/2018 at 1:17 AM, Vyper68 said:

Just tried T-34 to see what it's like and as emkay says it is really quite good and it's worth checking out. Changing the settings ( Gravity etc ) add a twist.

I don't think an 8-Bit CPU could handle all the physics calculations for a full-on Angry Birds game

I found the game years ago and it's been a favorite of mine, even playing both sides myself. Another game, also by the same developer/publisher (A.K. Avalon?) is tank vs. tank, very similar, but doesn't require 2 players or more than 64K. But they added a lot more to T-34.

Hello, in the "current" version of our scorch the only defensive weapon are parachutes. They were difficult to implement so we thought the rest would be easier : ]

The version on the github is not really abandoned, I just do not have energy required to get it going again... I would be lying about not having time, because I could now be coding and I am typing here :)))))) 

Edited by pirx
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

My attachment to Scorched Earth goes back to high school days where the boys would gather in the school library and shoot each other with tanks during breaks...

I’ve been refreshing school memories with an old friend of mine with java emulators... but to get Scorch fully working on my recently rediscovered XL machine would be a dream come true, man!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@pirx, maybe you'll write for relax nice little game to my compo? (game for real 16KB Atari computers)? If yes - please let me know, in Polish of course (and Yes, game may be in english - it will be better, but my english is strange) :)

Edited by Sikor
more text
  • Like 1

The "perfect" type  of this game on the Atari is showing a simple screen that allows a quick rendering of the physics, while the Player is adjusting the "Attack". Then it switches to an animation that is showing "things that were going on". 

The screen that is showing the field and the Player's interactivity , should be in "hires", for a high precision handling of the game. 

While the "big boom" could be built using any software based 256 color screen, in a complex and fluent animation.   

• Haha 1

Naah - Scorch IS already the perfect game.

me and my buddy played it on my XL - and, hell, it was even MORE fun without the shields, kinda quicker gameplay!

But as it is the perfect game, it justifies some nitpickin on the details ;)

big thanks to @pirx for porting and giving me an enjoyable games evening tonigh (it was scorch and galaxian this time ??)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
On 1/30/2022 at 1:19 PM, pirx said:

mere a year and a new version of scorch is up. bugfixes only, but everything counts :)

https://github.com/pkali/scorch_src

How much is supposed to be working? It loads the title screen, I press the trigger, it loads the option screen and freezes up there, no keys or joystick response. I'm running on Altirra set to 800XL 64K PAL, Atari XL OS 3, BAISC turned off, all acceleration turned off. I've tried all different OS's, ram configurations, putting it on ATRs with different DOS's, NTSC/PAL, BASIC on/off, always the same result.