IGNORED

Scorched/Worms/Angry Bird kind of games

@pirx Thanks for latest build. Poss bug report. It appears (at least in Altirra) that since build 143, in the new build (144) I can't fire a weaopon using the cntl key. Instead ctrl takes you into the inventory. Anyone else have this issue?  Not tried the new build on real hardware yet. I've not changed or remapped anything in Altirra and if I load up build 143 it is fine.

25 minutes ago, pirx said:

yea... this is not a bug, this is a feature.

but maybe I will change it

So, pressing fire for a short time goes to inventory

pressing fire longer shoots.

Maybe I will reverse it.

Doh - sorry I missed that. My bad. Yup I would personally switch it around - long hold to go to inventory - short press = fires. :D

https://github.com/pkali/scorch_src/releases/tag/145

click on .XEX to download

Build 145
2022-06-26 Possibly the last round of weapon additions!

@Pecus addedworking White Flag -- it is a way to give up while not making opponents richer!
Battery - a must for every tank with low energy.
Strong Parachute - like a normal parachute, but stronger (it has energy and can work more than once)
Nuclear Winter - a quick and efficient solution to global worming, err, warning, WARMING!
@miker added new SFX and in-game-tunes.
Pressing "S" turns on/off SFX (when aiming). Pressing "M" turns on/off in-game tunes.

Tickets closed:
#54 - holding joystick up or down longer speeds up force change. It makes playing with joystick much nicer.
#76 - a beginning of visual tweaks by 6502adam
infinite defensive weapons purchase bug fixed, to chagrin of some...

Edited by pirx
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

https://github.com/pkali/scorch_src/releases/tag/146  (download scorch.xex)

###### Build 146
2022-07-03
Super heavy rewrite build.
Not much changed visually since the last build, but really large parts of the code were rewritten, optimized and improved. A fresh swath of buggies certainly introduced, too. 
- completely new tank falling routine by @Pecusx - over 300 bytes saved, complexity reduced, more just energy deduction when falling.
- silly angle system rewritten to a proper, primary school angling. BTW - I had to dig into 8th grade trig to make it work. About 200 bytes saved, complexity reduced. Next build will have improved angle speed UI. I will also allow for an easier improvement of tank visuals.
- Weapon price and quantity balance - this is our honest attempt to make game more fun. We'll accept any critique and improvement proposals.
- New AI opponent - Tosser! Not much better than Poolshark, but still beats sharks most of the time.
- AI opponents can purchase defensive weapons what makes playing against AI somewhat more challenging.
- Improved Laser. It is still not ideal, but better. Still hard to aim :]
- Few small parachute related bugs fixed
- Death's Head bug fix

Issues closed:
- https://github.com/pkali/scorch_src/issues/87 Angles are reasonable now. PROFIT!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/3/2022 at 11:42 PM, pirx said:

- silly angle system rewritten to a proper, primary school angling. BTW - I had to dig into 8th grade trig to make it work. About 200 bytes saved, complexity reduced. Next build will have improved angle speed UI. I will also allow for an easier improvement of tank visuals.

Issues closed:
- https://github.com/pkali/scorch_src/issues/87 Angles are reasonable now. PROFIT!!!

This is not good UI. Please change the angles back to 0-90 on each side instead of 0-180. I have to sit and think 180 minus what equals the current angle when I'm trying to shoot towards the left. This is really an "elevation" control and angle is just how you measure the elevation. Making the player do extra work to figure it out is not good.

I was quite excited to see this popping up on YouTube recently; I was a huge fan of Scorched Earth as a teen. From the footage it looks awesome!

Does it currently only work in emulation? I tried loading up build 145 and 146 to my XEGS using the Atarimax MyIDE II and either xex doesn't load; It takes it a moment then just goes into the self-test menu. One oddity is if the files are in another folder with other xex's, they'll disappear from the list completely after trying to load either one and don't appear even after a hard reset. The only way they would show up is accessing the CF and moving them to another folder. Dunno if that has anything to do with it. 

21 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

I was quite excited to see this popping up on YouTube recently; I was a huge fan of Scorched Earth as a teen. From the footage it looks awesome!

Does it currently only work in emulation? I tried loading up build 145 and 146 to my XEGS using the Atarimax MyIDE II and either xex doesn't load; It takes it a moment then just goes into the self-test menu. One oddity is if the files are in another folder with other xex's, they'll disappear from the list completely after trying to load either one and don't appear even after a hard reset. The only way they would show up is accessing the CF and moving them to another folder. Dunno if that has anything to do with it. 

@Shaggy the Atarian Yup Scorch works fine on real hardware as well as in emulation. I guess maybe something related to the MyIDE II, especially if you are seeing other quirky behaviour? Do you have any other game loading issues incidentally?  Could be a sign of some instability or perhaps bad ram or other ICs creeping in perhaps?

I run my Scorch builds off the SDcard on my SIDE3 on stock A8s and ones with U1MB installed. :)

Edited by Beeblebrox

1 minute ago, Beeblebrox said:

@Shaggy the Atarian Yup Scorch works fine on real hardware as well as in emulation. I guess maybe something related to the MyIDE II, especially if you are seeing other quirky behaviour? Do you have any other game loading issues incidentally?  Could be a sign of some instability or perhaps bad ram or other ICs creeping in perhaps?

I run my Scorch builds off the SDcard on my SIDE3 on stock A8s and ones with U1MB installed. :)

Might be. Most games have been fine although once in a while there's a game with odd issues (gibberish symbols or something; Rogue doesn't play very well at all then something like Ninja plays fine). No loading problems though with anything else I've tried recently.  I have an XL I could try it on but need to fish out the old RF cable from storage to try that. Thanks!

13 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Might be. Most games have been fine although once in a while there's a game with odd issues (gibberish symbols or something; Rogue doesn't play very well at all then something like Ninja plays fine). No loading problems though with anything else I've tried recently.  I have an XL I could try it on but need to fish out the old RF cable from storage to try that. Thanks!

@Shaggy the Atarian  Think you are gonna get that with some games anyway. Yeah, I reckon see if Scorch runs on the 800XL in the first instance and go from there.

there is still one thing that is quirky - I am using fantastic @dmsc LZSS player in the startup screen and it is loading a portion of code directly to page zero - it should not cause problems in theory, but maybe it clashes with MyIDE loader. I'll move it to a safe spot in the next version. 
https://github.com/pkali/scorch_src/issues/106

• Thanks 1

New release: https://github.com/pkali/scorch_src/releases/tag/147

Build 147
2022-07-10 LOST build. We were watching LOST party streams so maybe a little less done, but still some nice improvements.

new weapons by @Pecusx

- Napalm and Hot Napalm. Fire penetrates all shields, so beware!
- status bar showing outdated info on the beginning of the round fix
- various small optimizations incl. memory usage, soildown, weapon ranges
- improved shapes of Heavy and Force Shields
Issues closed:

- revert to the old but slightly improved version of showing angles (#105)
- zero page loading eliminated (#106)
- active player name appear over his tank when aiming (#107)
- configurable mountain heights (The Netherlands, Belgium, Czechia, Switzerland, Nepal) (#86)
- angle speeds up when joystick / keyboard are pressed (#75)

@Shaggy the Atarian if possible, please check if this version works with MyIDE. I am afraid it is all I could do to make the executable as plain vanilla as possible.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 7/10/2022 at 7:19 PM, pirx said:

New release: https://github.com/pkali/scorch_src/releases/tag/147

Build 147
2022-07-10 LOST build. We were watching LOST party streams so maybe a little less done, but still some nice improvements.

new weapons by @Pecusx

- Napalm and Hot Napalm. Fire penetrates all shields, so beware!
- status bar showing outdated info on the beginning of the round fix
- various small optimizations incl. memory usage, soildown, weapon ranges
- improved shapes of Heavy and Force Shields
Issues closed:

- revert to the old but slightly improved version of showing angles (#105)
- zero page loading eliminated (#106)
- active player name appear over his tank when aiming (#107)
- configurable mountain heights (The Netherlands, Belgium, Czechia, Switzerland, Nepal) (#86)
- angle speeds up when joystick / keyboard are pressed (#75)

@Shaggy the Atarian if possible, please check if this version works with MyIDE. I am afraid it is all I could do to make the executable as plain vanilla as possible.

Thanks!

I did just try it and while it did show the Atari blue loading screen for a second, it still kicked itself into self-test, then after a hard reset, the file has disappeared from the list but it's still on the CF when I check it on my computer (out of curiosity, I did run the tests and nothing came up bad on my ROM or RAM but I wonder if there could be something with the cart). Going to try and find the old RF adapter and see if it works on my 800XL.

• Sad 1

new version: https://github.com/pkali/scorch_src/releases/tag/148

Build 148
2022-07-17 WHAT DOES THE FOX SAY?

Fox (x0f, @pfusik) says plots and points can be optimized by 18 clock cycles each, and thanks to his 6502 wizardries the game is noticeably nicer. Thank you! Other changes:

• #99, #98 - tank number 6 has color now! No one is monochrome now!
  • #110 much-improved laser - previously it was almost useless, now it looks and works much better
  • fixed an interesting roller bug
  • Auto Defense angle fix
  • multiple improvements in AI routines, and preparation for the final opponents.
  • Like 6

Questions about gameplay:

How do I activate a shield and a parachute at the same time? The AI players seem to be able to use parachutes while their shields are active. If I go to the defensive items screen during a round and try to activate both, one just overrides the other and it disappears from my inventory.

What is the AutoDefense supposed to do? It seems to behave like a regular shield. I'm pretty sure in the DOS game it automatically activated other defensive items whenever they were needed.

@archon800 To have shield and parachute you need to use "Force shield" - it combines both and this is how AI opponents have it. There is a stub of a manual here: https://github.com/pkali/scorch_src/wiki/Instruction-manual . Right now it contains descriptions of defenses.

I'll add to it, hopefully this week. We would be super grateful for revising and updating the document - we are not native speakers.

With regards to "Auto defense" - we should change the name, it is neat, because it bounces off direct hits. Maybe "Bouncy Castle" will be a good name.

@TGB1718 thank you for this bug report - I think we have already fixed it in `develop` branch, but I will have a look at NTSC more. Maybe a bit of rewrite in the DLI department will be necessary.

On 7/18/2022 at 4:11 AM, pirx said:

new version: https://github.com/pkali/scorch_src/releases/tag/148

Build 148
2022-07-17 WHAT DOES THE FOX SAY?

Fox (x0f, @pfusik) says plots and points can be optimized by 18 clock cycles each, and thanks to his 6502 wizardries the game is noticeably nicer. Thank you! Other changes:

• #99, #98 - tank number 6 has color now! No one is monochrome now!
  • #110 much-improved laser - previously it was almost useless, now it looks and works much better
  • fixed an interesting roller bug
  • Auto Defense angle fix
  • multiple improvements in AI routines, and preparation for the final opponents.

Your game is really impressive. For some reason I ignored this thread for too long :) .. I didn't get it that you are actually developing a new game.

Just wondering, if it is possible to move the tanks around, just like with the worms walk and jump in well "Worms"?

Edited by twh/f2
fixing typos

7 hours ago, pirx said:

Hi @twh/f2. Moving tanks is perfectly possible, but our life span is limited :))))) Right now we are focusing on AI and buggies, later we'll have Fujinet in mind, but moving tanks is definitely something I'd like to see myself :]

@pirx  I agree that tank moving would be a great bonus somewhere down the line.

Also I've probably mentioned but introducing future sound FX would greatly enhance the gameplay. If not digitised soundFX, you could introduce some clever synthesized sound. Look at the classic 80's legendary Atari game Alley Cat for example. Amazing use of synthesized sound FX throughout, from the sound of your cat bouncing as they get knocked off the fence, to the sound of the dog and cat fighting, the sound of your cat bouncing on the rubbish bin's, (aka trash can's:grin:), metal lids, the electric eels in the tank, cat meowing, the dogs snoring, etc etc.

More recently look at the excellent synthesized sound effects used in Prince of Persia, (the floor spikes, the metallic chopping trap sounds, gates closing, etc etc.)

I reckon you could have some spectacular synthesized sounds, (and maybe the odd digitised ones if space allows), in your game for firing different kinds of weapons, for different resulting explosions, shells falling, tanks exploding, weapons lock, incoming alerts, etc etc.  For me it's one of the elements that would greatly enhance the gameplay - especially because there are so many weapons to be used.

EDIT: IMHO I'd love to see horizontal DLI colours in the background simulating different times of the day, (night time and sunsets, etc etc), but I appreciate that might be tricky (tank colours in front), and/or not the aesthetic you were going for when designing this game.

Edited by Beeblebrox