IGNORED

Scorched/Worms/Angry Bird kind of games

On 7/19/2022 at 5:50 AM, TGB1718 said:

Just noticed this, using Altirra, NTSC, 130XE, U1M, SIDE3

After 5 rounds, it started doing this at the end of the round, it cleared when I pressed the trigger to start a new round.

I've created a ticket for this issue: https://github.com/pkali/scorch_src/issues/114, hope to resolve it soon. Thanks for the report again.

1 hour ago, Beeblebrox said:

Also I've probably mentioned but introducing future sound FX would greatly enhance the gameplay. If not digitised soundFX, you could introduce some clever synthesized sound. Look at the classic 80's legendary Atari game Alley Cat for example. Amazing use of synthesized sound FX throughout, from the sound of your cat bouncing as they get knocked off the fence, to the sound of the dog and cat fighting, the sound of your cat bouncing on the rubbish bin's, (aka trash can's:grin:), metal lids, the electric eels in the tank, cat meowing, the dogs snoring, etc etc.

More recently look at the excellent synthesized sound effects used in Prince of Persia, (the floor spikes, the metallic chopping trap sounds, gates closing, etc etc.)

I reckon you could have some spectacular synthesized sounds, (and maybe the odd digitised ones if space allows), in your game for firing different kinds of weapons, for different resulting explosions, shells falling, tanks exploding, weapons lock, incoming alerts, etc etc.  For me it's one of the elements that would greatly enhance the gameplay - especially because there are so many weapons to be used.

Funny as yesterday I was discussing with @miker (author of our SFX) his fantastic POKEY effect in the VIC DOOM part of the Rewind demo, Alley Cat, Nadral and another Bill Williams game - Salmon Run (played it for the first time yesterday).

So, no RAM left in the current memory layout, we are working hard to optimize it to get the game running with all the code we already have.

The game will be developed further (FujiNet), so who knows, when planets align and the artist has time, we would be happy to implement more or better SFX. 

Colors - we are working with @+Adam+ on some tweaks, small improvements coming the next release, but generally there is not much that can be done in the current aesthetics. From the get-go this is a pure engineering exercise, we are very happy to have kind folks helping us, otherwise it would still have system font and pure BW scheme :]

In other words - for our limited artistic prowess it is not enough to say "do it better", we need to have a prototype at least ;]]]]] 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@pirx  totally understand and thanks again for always considering things as well as explaining. Totally understand with regards to the current aesthetics and your original starting point. The amount of work already collectively put in is amazing and I am  - as I'm sure are many others - very grateful for the game in it's current direction and for future additions and tweaks.:grin: Good luck with the networking of the game. 

Re Swiety's utterly amazing new DOOM engine as demonstrated in the eyually astonishing Rewind demo - yes the soundFX are used really well.  (Incidentally IMHO it's important to separate Swiety's VICDOOM engine with his new DOOM engine - where - I am sure he won't mind me saying, the new DOOM engine is a big jump up).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

short update - due to The Real Life™ no releases recently. But if you are so inclined you could look at the changes in `develop` branch of our repo. @Pecus is dropping heavy stuff there - you can't win with Cyborg ;]

Edited by pirx

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...