IGNORED

Brainstorming Session -- How would YOU exploit this combo of hardware?

Omega-TI

If you were going to exploit the latest and greatest hardware developed for the TI in the past few years, INTO ONE SINGLE PROJECT, what do you envision?

1) F18A

Expanded graphics capability and 80 column capability.

2) SAMS

1 Meg Memory card

3) FinalGROM 99

Up to a 1 Meg program

4) Future P-Box version of the TIPI

Massive storage space (among other goodies)

The utility, capacity and capability of these four items taken together is pretty awesome.

I suggested at Fest West a ADDITIONAL: ROM page

added to RXB or XB that would use TIPI without needing a program loading to do so.

RXB already takes advantage of SAMS, I do not own a F18 but am open to supporting it.

Edited by RXB
  • Like 3

If you were going to exploit the latest and greatest hardware developed for the TI in the past few years, INTO ONE SINGLE PROJECT, what do you envision?

1) F18A

Expanded graphics capability and 80 column capability.

2) SAMS

1 Meg Memory card

3) FinalGROM 99

Up to a 1 Meg program

4) Future P-Box version of the TIPI

Massive storage space (among other goodies)

The utility, capacity and capability of these four items taken together is pretty awesome.

1. F18A: I already have two TI-99/4A consoles so equipped. So already figures in to my Two development projects; X4th99 & TI Basic Plus (TIB+).

2. SAMS: I have two of the 1GB units, so also the backbone of X4th99, and is included in the non-NanoPEB TIB+ development, but I'm hoping to include, eventually, a NanoPEB version along with the CF7A+ version.

3. FinalGROM 99: Does not currently provide external GRAM/GROM for GROM 0 - 2 or RML banks (hopefully 4 or 8 banks) to replace my 80K GramKracker and/or SNUG HSGPL cards.

4. P-box verion of TIPI: No plans for this item due to all my current hardware. However, I do have the means, but not the hands, to do a 1MB SAMS side car version replacing the 32K current side car version.

2. SAMS: I have two of the 1GB units, so also the backbone of X4th99, and is included in the non-NanoPEB TIB+ development, but I'm hoping to include, eventually, a NanoPEB version along with the CF7A+ version.

Hmm 1 GIG?

I have a 1 MEG SAMS and I thought a 4 MEG was being worked on, so who made this 1 GIG version?

• 2 weeks later...

I always get in trouble for it, but I don't see the reason for the P-Box. The SAMS card, okay, sure. But that's a really damned big box for a memory card and a TiPi connected to a Pi you're going to have outside the big box anyway so your wifi works.

I'd rather see a modern RAM chip interfaced with a small CPLD or something replacing Matt's 32k connected to the existing TiPi.

I always get in trouble for it, but I don't see the reason for the P-Box. The SAMS card, okay, sure. But that's a really damned big box for a memory card and a TiPi connected to a Pi you're going to have outside the big box anyway so your wifi works.

I'd rather see a modern RAM chip interfaced with a small CPLD or something replacing Matt's 32k connected to the existing TiPi.

Now days, it comes down to personal preference, but just six months ago not so much... unless you count the Nano-PEB, but that device limits your growth potential. In the past, many of us had no choice, if we wanted to expand or get certain capabilities, a P-Box was a must. Now, for others it's the nostalgia effect, and for the die hard TI'ers that never left, they were already into it too deep to change. And lastly, you have the purists, where it has to be all period tech.

From a monetary aspect, the TIPI being in the P-Box might be a less expensive route. If they already have the P-Box, chances are they already have a 32K card in it, so they would not need to buy a 32K side car, which currently goes for around $58.00 (with shipping), before purchasing the TIPI itself for another $75.00 plus shipping, which brings us the a necessary enclosure for around $57.00 with shipping. That's about $190.00 before the Rpi.

Now due it's size, I expect the internal TIPI board to be a tad more expensive, but without the expense of the 32K or case. I also believe the internal TIPI will put more than a couple of old minimally expanded P-Boxes back into service.... which is a very good thing!

• Like 1

Oh I agree, if you have a P-Box it's the way to go. You still have to buy the Pi and a case for it, but if you don't need the 32k (which would've come with the P-Box most likely) and you're ready to add TiPi and go. Great solution, and it's easy to add a SAMS card too.

If you DON'T have one, you don't have the choice of the SAMS card at all yet. And while you might at some point, your best bet is to have to replace your 32k to get it. And that's unfortunate because you've bought something that was kind of expensive because it's still hand-soldered and it just doesn't have a purpose once something better comes along. Same with those of us who have FinalROM boards.

But if you DON'T have the box already, you'd be nuts to get one as a TiPi enclosure.

The question that arises: If such a project (a very important and ambitious work) requiring these four new materials was developed, for how many people would it be intended. We can surely count on a few fingers.

Oh you would be surprised! Over 1/2 of the community currently use the F18A, more will once Matthew comes out with the next batch. A bus load of people already have FG99's, and a least 40 people have SAMS' cards. So even with only those three items, something fantastic could be made NOW... add in that internal TIPI when it comes out and OMG, the possibilities.

I have no doubt about many members of the community have some of these devices :-) I am the happy owner of two of them.

I just answered to your question about a project necessitating the four devices. To be sure of the impact of such a project, it would be interesting to make a poll : To date, how many members have the four materials.

Edited by fabrice montupet
  • Like 1

I have no doubt about many members of the community have some of these devices :-) I am the happy owner of two of them.

I just answered to your question about a project necessitating the four devices. To be sure of the impact of such a project, it would be interesting to make a poll : To date, how many members have the four materials.

Good idea. I have to step out for a couple of hours, but I'll work up a poll later today.

I am a PBox user but don't see any reason to get a SAMS card. It isn't required for legacy software, and it is a fairly esoteric item even now. I doubt I'll develop anything requiring more RAM than the 32k available to me, and if I did, my target audience would be diminished greatly.

A RAMDisk is a different thing entirely, because it functions as battery backed RAM, allowing me to use it like a hard drive and it also has the capacity to facilitate a pseudo Operating System (Funnelweb).

The TIPI PBox Model would definitely be a go for me, since I rely heavily on my PBox for everything I do with the TI.

I have an F18A, but it resides in a dead console which I haven't tried to fix.... my composite display works well enough, and I do not program in assembly terribly well, so I am unable to take advantage of the extra VDP features in my own programs.

I do not have a FinalGROM, and it just doesn't seem to me like I really need one, other than to be able to load massive cartridge games like Flying Shark (which I plan to purchase on physical cartridge). I have a GRAM Kracker and almost every cartridge ever produced in GK format.

I'm not a "purist," as you described earlier, but my purposes are to make simple games for mass consumption and interface my machine with my PC (presently) and the TIPI community at a later date (when the PBox card is available).

Different strokes...

• Like 1

I would only make a software project depend on the FinalGROM 99 if it was using either the RAM or the ability to chain load ROM images. Depending on it for ROM alone would be silly since ROM can be provided by other carts. If I depended on the FinalGROM 99, I would not also depend on SAMS for RAM, so it would be 3 out of 4 max.

• Like 1