IGNORED

Nintendo Switch - Hidden Gems - - Too soon?

Metal Jesus

I’ve been watching a lot of switch content lately due to the Oled model I picked up. I’m surprised that Cadence of Hyrule doesn’t get more love. I also don’t hear alot about Links awakening these days. It doesn’t make it on many lists. It’s a remake and not Breath of the Wild but I think it’s still a great game.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2022 at 4:38 PM, Metal Jesus said:

You're right! Lots more games both big and small released for the Switch...and because it's so crowded, plenty of opportunity for "hidden gems".

Heck with the sheer volume coming out, nearly any good game that hasn't been on the Shop's homepage for a week or more could be considered "hidden" :)

My personal favorite not so well known fun game - Octogeddon (by George Fan, creator of Plants vs Zombies).  Another would be Zero Team, an Arcade Archives brawler that for many years was unplayable on Mame and thus not that well heard of.  Looks simple enough, but surprisingly fun.

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

It's not a Switch exclusive, but A Hat in Time is really a delight. It has a super off-kilter sense of humor up to and including a short text adventure (Corgi Quest 7: The Leashes that Bind) on your ship's computer:

It's weird like Super Mario Galaxy and hat-based and full of huge re-explorable worlds like Super Mario Odyssey, with more of a Metroidvania feel to the way you unlock new areas with new hats. It's not as polished as Nintendo games, but it's tons of fun and it plays well.

• 3 months later...

Recommendations of Switch games by publisher:

Nintendo - Good Job!, Part Time UFO, Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido

Square Enix - SaGa: Scarlet Grace - Ambitions, Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon: Every Buddy!, Forgotton Anne

XSEED Games - Freedom Planet, Shantae: Half-Genie Hero - Ultimate Edition, Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin

Playism - Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth, Kero Blaster, Gnosia

Chucklefish - Wargroove, Eastward, Timespinner

Bandai Namco Games - Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun!, Doraemon: Story of Seasons, Mr. Driller: Drill Land

NIS America - R-Type Final 2, The Alliance Alive HD Remastered, The Liar Princess and the Blind Prince

Supergiant Games - Hades, Bastion, Transistor

DotEmu - Streets of Rage 4, Another World, Ys Origin

tinyBuild - The Final Station, Phantom Trigger, Mr. Shifty

DANGEN Entertainment - Bug Fables: The Everlasting Sapling, The TakeOver, Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight

Devolver Digital - The Messenger, Katana ZERO, Enter the Gungeon

ININ Games - The Ninja Saviors: Return of the Warriors, Cotton Reboot!, Wonder Boy: Asha in Monster World

Shin'en - Art of Balance, The Touryst, Fast RMX

Nicalis - Cave Story +, Ittle Dew 2+, Tiny Barbarian DX

PQube - Nexomon: Extinction, Cat Quest, Aggelos

Team17 - Monster Sanctuary, Worms W.M.D, Overcooked!: Special Edition

Flyhigh Works - Implosion - Never Lose Hope, OPUS: The Day We Found Earth, Kamiko

Inti Creates - Blaster Master Zero, Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, Mighty Gunvolt Burst

Annapurna Interactive - Gorogoa, Sayonara Wild Hearts, Donut County

FDG Entertainment - Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom, Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King, Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas

505 Games - Indivisible, ABZU, Portal Knights

Humble Games - Wandersong, Forager, Wizard of Legend

Rising Star Games - Deadly Premonition Origins, Lumo, SUPERBEAT: XONiC

Tomorrow Corporation - Little Inferno, Human Resource Machine, World of Goo

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

50 more Switch recommendations by publisher:

Thomas Moon Kang - One Step From Eden

Crazy Monkey Studios - Guns, Gore & Cannoli

Tozai Games - Lode Runner Legacy

DECK13 Spotlight - CrossCode

Batterystaple Games - 20XX

Terrible Toybox - Thimbleweed Park

Wired Productions - Vostok Inc.

Adult Swim - Battle Chef Brigade

Doragon Entertainment - Danmaku Unlimited 3

Capcom - Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection

Rainy Frog - Star Ghost

GameMill Entertainment - Cruis'n Blast

Thunder Lotus Games - Spiritfarer

Dufgames - Black Hole

Finji - Night in the Woods

Tribute Games - Flinthook

Aquiris Game Studio - Horizon Chase Turbo

Subset Games - Into the Breach

The Arcade Crew - Blazing Chrome

Bad Habit Productions - Marble It Up!

Matt Makes Games Inc. - TowerFall

DrinkBox Studios - Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition

Plug In Digital - NeuroVoider

Vblank Entertainment Inc. - Shakedown Hawaii

Whippoorwill Limited - A Short Hike

Chorus Worldwide - The VideoKid

Vertex Pop - Graceful Explosion Machine

Binary Haze Interactive - ENDER LILIES: Quietus of the Knights

Asteroid Base - Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime

FuturLab - Velocity 2X

Curve Digital - The Flame in the Flood

Zoink! - Flipping Death

Kitfox Games - Moon Hunters

Villa Gorilla - Yoku's Island Express

Infinite Dreams - Sky Force Reloaded

11 bit studios - Children of Morta

Bifrost Entertainment - Iconoclasts

The Voxel Agents - The Gardens Between

Playful Corp. - New Super Lucky's Tale

Mike Bithell - Subsurface Circular

Night School Studio - Oxenfree

Taito Corporation - Bubble Bobble 4 Friends

UKIYO PUBLISHING LIMITED - Death Road to Canada

Ysbryd Games - VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action

SMG Studio - Death Squared

Wales Interactive - The Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker

Aurelien Regard - The Next Penelope

Atooi LLC - Xeodrifter

Perfect World Entertainment - Hob: The Definitive Edition

WayForward - The Mummy Demastered

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was checking out a Retro games on the Switch video and really came across some amazing games. I think after looking at the 100s of titles on the E store. We really need a Hidden Gems videos in fact a series of them as there are so many games that no one hears about. Like Jack 'n' Hat, basically a Super Mario clone with some cool extra features.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/27/2022 at 5:03 AM, Classic Pac said:

I was checking out a Retro games on the Switch video and really came across some amazing games. I think after looking at the 100s of titles on the E store. We really need a Hidden Gems videos in fact a series of them as there are so many games that no one hears about. Like Jack 'n' Hat, basically a Super Mario clone with some cool extra features.

I do get what you are saying. Like a cheap indie hidden gems. There are a lot of games out there that are fun but not well known. Like this was a random $0.99 purchase and it reminds me of early PS1 games like Jumping Flash. Granted this one is on other platforms, but worth the $0.99.

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/toree-2-switch/

On 6/27/2022 at 6:03 AM, Classic Pac said:

Mentioned this earlier, but I find it helps to group by publisher since they can have good track records and can lend to more discoveries. Devolver Digital is a good example to start off with in the retro department. They tend to put out games that not only look retro, but can also pack a punch. I suppose one of the most popular approaches to making a retro-styled game is to making a game reminiscent of Contra or Treasure games, and Devolver delivers that full-force I feel.

Edited by electricmastro
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, electricmastro said:

Mentioned this earlier, but I find it helps to group by publisher since they can have good track records and can lend to more discoveries. Devolver Digital is a good example to start off with in the retro department. They tend to put out games that not only look retro, but can also pack a punch. I suppose one of the most popular approaches to making a retro-styled game is to making a game reminiscent of Contra or Treasure games, and Devolver delivers that full-force I feel.

I have Enter Gungeon and just nabbed Messenger. Any others of theirs you recommend?

4 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

I have Enter Gungeon and just nabbed Messenger. Any others of theirs you recommend?

Katana ZERO and Broforce. I'm sure you'd like them if you like Gungeon and Messenger.

From other companies, there's also Flinthook, Blazing Chrome, NeuroVoider, Shakedown Hawaii, Moon Hunters, Children of Morta, Death Road to Canada, The Mummy Demastered, Valfaris, Huntdown, Songbringer, Hammerwatch, etc.

Edited by electricmastro
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, electricmastro said:

Katana ZERO and Broforce. I'm sure you'd like them if you like Gungeon and Messenger.

From other companies, there's also Flinthook, Blazing Chrome, NeuroVoider, Shakedown Hawaii, Moon Hunters, Children of Morta, Death Road to Canada, The Mummy Demastered, Valfaris, Huntdown, Songbringer, Hammerwatch, etc.

Been playing a bunch of Morta and really liking it.

• Like 2

My biggest surprise so-far a remake of the 1st ToeJam and Earl. The one that was on the Genesis and since have become really expensive. The new version has Auto Save between levels and a Level Up system so you can take on the tougher enemies. Better Graphics but the same level design and the characters only look better. Best of all it has gotten good reviews.

• Like 2

40 recommendations. One in particular that stood out to me is Golf Peaks, which takes a simple concept like golf and goes crazy and approachable with it by having you shoot up golf balls up hills in a certain number of moves:

Terry Cavanagh - Dicey Dungeons

Sega - Two Point Hospital

Merj Media - Floor Kids

CyberConnect2 - Fuga: Melodies of Steel

Drageus Games - Event Horizon: Space Defense

Dispatch Games - Penguin Wars

SVC Games - Debris Infinity

Soedesco - Teslagrad

ZA/UM - Disco Elysium: The Final Cut

Zen Studios - CastleStorm

Fractal Phase - Sky Rogue

Impact Gameworks - Tangledeep

Big Sugar - Valfaris

Horberg Productions - Mechstermination Force

Coffee Stain Studios - Huntdown

Ripstone - Ironcast

SmashGames - Littlewood

BySamb - BlobCat

Double Eleven - Songbringer

Serenity Forge - Death's Gambit: Afterlife

Mebius - Rolling Gunner

Other Ocean Interactive - Gunhouse

Snowhydra llc - Zarvot

DYA Games - Bot Vice

7Levels - Golf Peaks

GungHo - Puzzle & Dragons Nintendo Switch Edition

Focus Home Interactive - Masters of Anima

Mode4 - Bombslinger

The Quantum Astrophysicists Guild - Tumblestone

Arc System Works - Of Mice and Sand: Revised

Fabraz - SpiritSphere DX

Tikipod Limited - Aqua Kitty UDX

Outright Games - Crayola Scoot

Cypronia - Color Zen

Graffiti Games - Blue Fire

10tons - Sparkle Unleashed

Two Tribes - Toki Tori 2 +

BlitWorks - Hammerwatch

MidBoss - 2064: Read Only Memories INTEGRAL

Springloaded - Nuclien

• Like 1

i picked Shovel Knight Dungeons back up last night and enabled the assists (even though it disables some of the ingame achievements).  It's a much more accessible game (and fun to me) if you do.

Wayforward puts out some good games, too (and not just Shantae, haha).  Dawn of the Monsters is fun if you're into kaiju and beat-em-ups, their run-and-gun Spidersaurs comes out next week.

13 hours ago, electricmastro said:

Dicey Dungeons might be one of the best dice games ever made, though I’m not too sure how much competition it had in the first place. lol

Ha it doesn't. It is hard to classify too. It is almost a puzzle game, as much as a dice game. The Halloween version is a puzzle game.

• Like 1