IGNORED

Nintendo Switch - Hidden Gems - - Too soon?

Metal Jesus

this seems like a good thread for this- I picked up Ape Out a couple of months ago and Downwell a couple of days ago. Both are pretty fantastic 'small' games. :)

Downwell in particular has a lot of value I feel like for $2.99- it's a rogue-like platformer where you're constantly scrolling down (.... a well) and shooting stuff.

Ape Out is a lot of fun, too, but it took me some time to get used to the controls to where I wasn't dying all the time. Its levels are procedurally-generated as well.

this seems like a good thread for this- I picked up Ape Out a couple of months ago and Downwell a couple of days ago. Both are pretty fantastic 'small' games. :)

Downwell in particular has a lot of value I feel like for $2.99- it's a rogue-like platformer where you're constantly scrolling down (.... a well) and shooting stuff.

Ape Out is a lot of fun, too, but it took me some time to get used to the controls to where I wasn't dying all the time. Its levels are procedurally-generated as well.

Downwell is awesome. Ive played it for several hours on Vita. The game supports Tate mode which is absolutely perfect for this type of game. I should really get it on Switch too

• Like 1

"Hidden gem" is a kind of funny way to put it, though. Even though there are hundreds of games in the eShop, they're all ready to purchase and download, so long as you know where to look. Maybe "buried treasure?" I don't know.

It's actually more about search engine results. That's where the discovery of my YouTube videos come from. And I can tell you based on trends.google.com.... way more people are searching for "hidden gems" for any given system.

Downwell is awesome. Ive played it for several hours on Vita. The game supports Tate mode which is absolutely perfect for this type of game. I should really get it on Switch too

One weird thing I did notice about it, though, is that if you aren't connected to the Internet, it complains about how there's no Internet connection- if you close out of the screens the game gives you a message about Leaderboards, but it IS playable offline.

It just seemed unusual since I hadn't seen this on any of my other games playing offline.

I saw this post on another media earlier ago and that post above got me thinking about that post. The person was like, could we ever see DS/3DS games on the Switch as it would be excellent. A bunch pooped on it, but then you saw the voice of reason bringing up the flip grip and the fact the 2DS uses a single panel with a divider over it, so it got me thinking, why not??

• 2 weeks later...

i picked up Lode Runner Legacy last night since it was on sale- the 'new' levels play and feel like the classic; a super nice bonus is that it includes the 'Classic' stages too. I'm thinking this is the same one that is on Steam, as well.

I played the Broderbund version on the C64 (we had that one, but a friend had the Apple version) and the 'Championship Lode Runner' variant. I've played it on the Game Boy, on the PC (Lode Runner: The Legend Returns I think it was called?), and a version for the XBox 360, and I really feel like that if you're a Lode Runner fan this is probably one of the best versions of the game available.

i picked up Lode Runner Legacy last night since it was on sale- the 'new' levels play and feel like the classic; a super nice bonus is that it includes the 'Classic' stages too. I'm thinking this is the same one that is on Steam, as well.

I haven't played Lode Runner in a long time... probably since we released Lode Runner Returns back in 1994. I will have to give this a go! Thanks for the heads up!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 6/1/2018 at 10:58 AM, Metal Jesus said:

This little handheld hybrid has no shortage of awesome games for it $20 or less! Here are 10 games worth checking out on your Switch.

SWITCH GAMES SHOWN:

Immortal Redneck
Battle Chef Brigade
The Banner Saga
Night in the Woods
Framed Collection
Oxenfree
Death Road to Canada
Golf Story
Danmaku Unlimited 3
Cat Quest

I absolutely love Death Road on Switch. When I was doing finals in April, any minute when I wasn't studying, I driving to Canada. So far I've gotten every upgrade and beaten every difficulty on the first page (I haven't touched the difficulties on the second and third pages yet, but I'll probably try to unlock everything eventually. The game is just too addicting). There was a patch last fall to add in 4 player mode, which my friends loved. We had a great time laughing and dying on the Death Road (not to spoil too much, but our dog got possessed by a demon, my friend got super excited and transformed into an Anime Girl, I was severely depressed because it was the zombie apocalypse, and then we all died). 4 Player mode is pretty chaotic though, and more characters use more resources, so the average group should probably stay on an easier difficulty.

• 3 weeks later...

I cover 5 more Switch games today, ranging from shooters, racing games, run-and-gun and classic adventure. As of today, two of these are physical releases...but two more are already announced for getting physical soon (Blazing Chrome and Pawarumi)

Games shown:
Rise: Race the Future
Pawarumi
Blazing Chrome
Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse
Psyvariar Delta

On 7/26/2019 at 11:27 AM, Metal Jesus said:

I cover 5 more Switch games today, ranging from shooters, racing games, run-and-gun and classic adventure. As of today, two of these are physical releases...but two more are already announced for getting physical soon (Blazing Chrome and Pawarumi)

Games shown:
Rise: Race the Future
Pawarumi
Blazing Chrome
Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse
Psyvariar Delta

Nice vid - keep these coming!  You got me TOTALLY hooked on SkyForce Reloaded with an older Hidden Gems :)

Just curious...No MJR power chord intro on the last couple of videos, just going without for a bit?  

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2020 at 11:42 PM, SegaSnatcher said:

I'd throw in Virtua Racing in the mix.  A fantastic port.  

I prefer OutRun over Virtua Racing because I like the game better.  :)  I feel the 3DS version of OutRun is probably the best, but the Switch one is darn fantastic.

This is a AAA release game, but I think that 'Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle' doesn't get a second glance from a lot of gamers because of the bright graphics/visuals.  I picked this up since Ubisoft is running a sale and have been really impressed.  It's kind of like Mario meets XCom to me- the gameplay and strategy is darn good.  It controls well, too, for the most part.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

necro-ing this a bit because I picked up a couple of puzzle games that ordinarily I don't think I would've, but was looking for something different.  Both are around $8-10 US.

HAL Laboratories (you know, the Kirby guys, lol) put out two really GOOD puzzlers with 'Part Time UFO' and 'BOXBOY! + BOXGIRL!'.   

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/part-time-ufo-switch/

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/boxboy-and-boxgirl-switch/

I get a little frustrated with Part Time UFO's physics, but I'm learning it; same said for BoxBoy+BoxGirl.  Mrs DD saw me play these and was like "Those would be perfect on your Lite"; and, really, they are.  :)  

If you like these kinds of games give them a look-see.

• Like 1