IGNORED

No Mans Sky

Zeptari

Its really happening! Im so excited for this game on Xbox. I was really bummed out when this didnt launch on Xbox almost two years ago. Rumors are its coming out last day of June .

Ill post more details later.

post-4314-0-96819800-1525524329.jpeg

• Like 1

Dont listen to the negative reviews for the PlayStation/PC release. Its a niche game that was hyped up for the masses. It got a lot of hate it didnt deserve.

• Like 1

Dont listen to the negative reviews for the PlayStation/PC release. Its a niche game that was hyped up for the masses. It got a lot of hate it didnt deserve.

It's also improved quite a bit since launch with 3 major patches. The Xbox version will release with the 4th major patch.

Sorry, I'll disagree with you on that. If the devs themselves weren't the ones creating the hype I could understand your point of view. The devs did this to themselves and deserve the response they got at launch. If the game's finally got the content that was promised, fine, give it a chance if you feel it's still worth the asking price. But when devs screw up as badly as they did you're not doing them or actual gamers a favor by trying to smooth things over because then the dev will think it's ok to ship with less than a beta release and it'll become the norm not just for that dev but every other dev that looks at the situation and realizes they can do it too. (You know, like how every bad practice has proliferated in the gaming industry like loot boxes.)

To be clear, if the devs didn't explicitly tell players what to expect in the game at launch I would be right there with you defending them from the backlash. But a lot of us have seen the actual interviews with the devs where they kept saying "yes yes yes yes yes" to what you'll be able to do in the game.

Will the patch include PvP and Co-Op, besides the space post-it notes?

We don't know. Hello Games doesn't announce the features until about a day or two before the patches release. They learned from the launch debacle to not overpromise, so now they under-promise and over-deliver

I think what you mean by "post-it notes" were the messages added in the first patch. The third patch added a limited co-op mode.

I don't think they ever promised PvP though. Anything is possible because they always add features nobody was expecting.

Sorry, I'll disagree with you on that. If the devs themselves weren't the ones creating the hype I could understand your point of view. The devs did this to themselves and deserve the response they got at launch. If the game's finally got the content that was promised, fine, give it a chance if you feel it's still worth the asking price. But when devs screw up as badly as they did you're not doing them or actual gamers a favor by trying to smooth things over because then the dev will think it's ok to ship with less than a beta release and it'll become the norm not just for that dev but every other dev that looks at the situation and realizes they can do it too. (You know, like how every bad practice has proliferated in the gaming industry like loot boxes.)

To be clear, if the devs didn't explicitly tell players what to expect in the game at launch I would be right there with you defending them from the backlash. But a lot of us have seen the actual interviews with the devs where they kept saying "yes yes yes yes yes" to what you'll be able to do in the game.

Their problem was Sean would do these interviews and people would ask about features and Sean would give a lot of speculative answers like "yeah we might see that" or "that could happen". He was thinking like a developer with all these ideas of what he could do with this platform they created.

Problem was he didn't realize was everyone else was taking that stuff as gospel.

They really needed better PR. Well they needed any PR really. It's a small team, and they didn't have controlled message. They should have been clear that base game at launch would not have every feature and things would come as free expansion packs, like Minecraft did". Even better, label it "Early Access". But Sony doesn't allow early access, and Sony was marketing the game, so that avenue was out.

Rumor was that they were running out of money and had to release what they had and use the proceeds from sales to fund the rest

Their problem was Sean would do these interviews and people would ask about features and Sean would give a lot of speculative answers like "yeah we might see that" or "that could happen". He was thinking like a developer with all these ideas of what he could do with this platform they created.

Again, sorry that's not how it went as well. He wasn't going "yeah we might see that" or "that could happen" in the speculative sense - certainly not all the time. I saw him giving definitive answers of "yes.". On one response to being able to grief other players he did say "yes that could happen." but followed up with "But it would be so unlikely to even meet another player due to the size of the galaxy". Then we see gameplay footage of things being shown off that were not in the game. Sky monsters, planetary portals, massive armada battles, etc.

Running out of money is not a reason to release a game these days when there are so many options available to secure additional funding, or simply releasing it into "early access" on steam for instance so you can start collecting that money without trying to pretend "ok we got the game ready!" Anyone buying it in an early access model know full well they're not getting the final product and can expect game freezing bugs (which were a BIG problem on the PS4's disc release until several patches were put out.).

So sorry, no, I still believe they're fully deserving of the backlash.

BTW, since I've yet to actually pick up the game on the PS4 over how shoddy it was released (And at this point have completely lost interest in ever getting it unless I find a used copy for 10 bucks or less - I've already seen it for 15 bucks used and felt it wasn't worth picking up.) could those who have played it tell me something?

Have they ever actually added "something amazing" at the center of the galaxy like promised, or does it still just do the sudden pullout/rewind once you get there? And I'm serious that they outright said there would be "Something amazing" once players get there in interviews. And in the interview I'm looking at he wasn't prompted by the interviewer with "Is there something amazing at the center of the galaxy when players get there?" type of question, but he confirmed that "we've already said that there would be something amazing at the center" rather than a fade to black like someone was joking would happen.

Have they ever actually added "something amazing" at the center of the galaxy like promised, or does it still just do the sudden pullout/rewind once you get there? And I'm serious that they outright said there would be "Something amazing" once players get there in interviews. And in the interview I'm looking at he wasn't prompted by the interviewer with "Is there something amazing at the center of the galaxy when players get there?" type of question, but he confirmed that "we've already said that there would be something amazing at the center" rather than a fade to black like someone was joking would happen.

Oh yeah. I have never, in all my years of gaming, been so impressed by a company patching features into a game. And there's another big one inbound. The game now vs. when it launched is so much more complex and interesting it's almost a whole different game.

Base building, balancing, completely re-written planetary algorithms, crashed ships, quests, freighters (miles long) you can buy and trade, way better dogfighting and huge battles, portals, more ships, all kinds of stuff.

This was a case of the publisher rushing the little developer to release a year before they were ready. Unlike most studios, they said 'no we are not giving up', and they didn't. Major respect for that.

• Like 1

Oh yeah. I have never, in all my years of gaming, been so impressed by a company patching features into a game. And there's another big one inbound. The game now vs. when it launched is so much more complex and interesting it's almost a whole different game.

Base building, balancing, completely re-written planetary algorithms, crashed ships, quests, freighters (miles long) you can buy and trade, way better dogfighting and huge battles, portals, more ships, all kinds of stuff.

This was a case of the publisher rushing the little developer to release a year before they were ready. Unlike most studios, they said 'no we are not giving up', and they didn't. Major respect for that.

Well, given that their only recourse would have been the unemployment line otherwise it's not surprising they didn't give up after selling so many copies on the hype train they themselves created. All that stuff you list is basically the stuff they were promising either way, so great the game is finally starting to show some promise. (Seriously, do you think they would have had any future in video games if they simply dropped No Man's Sky after the horrible response it got at launch?)

But that wasn't my actual question - I'd have hoped that that after all those major patches they'd have included some of that.

My question was did they add anything about the center of the galaxy that was "Amazing" rather than that lame pull-out they threw in there after telling everyone there would be something awesome.

In other words, does anything else happen now when you get to the center of a galaxy or does it still just pull you out and throw you into a new one to start the whole grind over again.

Edited by Mord

Again, sorry that's not how it went as well. He wasn't going "yeah we might see that" or "that could happen" in the speculative sense - certainly not all the time. I saw him giving definitive answers of "yes.". On one response to being able to grief other players he did say "yes that could happen." but followed up with "But it would be so unlikely to even meet another player due to the size of the galaxy". Then we see gameplay footage of things being shown off that were not in the game. Sky monsters, planetary portals, massive armada battles, etc.

I watched all the demos, and the game he played in the demos is pretty much the game we got at launch with only minor changes. The trailers are a different story. yes there are still no giant sandworms in the game, but on the other hand we can now own giant star-destroyer like freighters with docking bays full of smaller ships we've collected and traders landing there to trade goods as well as a customizable living area. That's something that was never promised in any trailer and is way cooler than a sandworm.

The "Armada battles" at launch were weak. But they were vastly improved in the first update.

yes he was dodgy on the multiplayer question. He would always immediately downplay it with something like "well the universe is so large you are probably never going to meet anybody anyway, so don't think of it as a multiplayer game". At other points he said he was thinking of Dark Souls style multiplayer for NMS with the messages and spectres. To me that said 'don't expect a multiplayer experience' others apparently heard "Co-op and PVP confirmed!" Later he explicitly tweeted that "NMS is not a multiplayer game, please don't go into it expecting that experience"

Did he bungle the message? yes. But I think it's because he lacks PR training and was running a small indie studio that nobody had really paid attention to before, and suddenly with NMS his every word was being dissected and he wasn't prepared for that. Everybody hates PR-speak. But it exists for this reason.

Running out of money is not a reason to release a game these days when there are so many options available to secure additional funding, or simply releasing it into "early access" on steam for instance so you can start collecting that money without trying to pretend "ok we got the game ready!" Anyone buying it in an early access model know full well they're not getting the final product and can expect game freezing bugs (which were a BIG problem on the PS4's disc release until several patches were put out.).

Sony was marketing the game, Early access on steam was out of the question.

So sorry, no, I still believe they're fully deserving of the backlash.

Death threats and all?

BTW, since I've yet to actually pick up the game on the PS4 over how shoddy it was released (And at this point have completely lost interest in ever getting it unless I find a used copy for 10 bucks or less - I've already seen it for 15 bucks used and felt it wasn't worth picking up.) could those who have played it tell me something?

I bought it at launch for $60, every time they update it, it becomes like a new game and I get dozens more hours of playtime out of it. I must have played over 100 hours by now, so it has been worth full price.

I'm hoping for an update of the planet algorithm for the next update. With the last update, I don't see the lush temperate planets anymore. I used to have my base on one and it was gorgeous. I hope they bring them back.

Sony was marketing the game, Early access on steam was out of the question.

Death threats and all?

They probably shouldn't have teamed up with Sony in that case. If they were running out of money as you say then obviously Sony wasn't actually paying them so I'd have to wonder why they had to work with them at all. Either way, their fault for allowing themselves to get in that position if it was the result of some bad contract.

As for the death threats, obviously not. I highly doubt even a fraction of the majority pissed off with the game were threatening bodily harm to the developers though.

I wanted this game so badly after the 2013 premier video. My jaw was on the floor. This is the game my teenage mind dreamt of playing back in the day of playing star raiders, elite ..and other such space games. Just look at it. Gorgeous.

As soon as I realized the Xbox wasnt getting a release I was crushed. I bought elite dangerous.

And had many fun nights playing it. But in the back of my mind I was always yearning to play No Mans Sky.

And that day is coming soon. Still no official release date . 505 games still silent .

But Gamestop has one on their site.

July 24th and Amazon a week later.

So I was never trapped by the hype. Sorry if message is a jumbled mess. Im on my phone.

I bought the collector's edition after the launch of the game and after the bad vibes had hit the internet. I played if for a couple of hours, and really enjoyed what I played. I'm pretty sure it was before any patches or updates. I enjoy games like Minecraft, Dynasty Warriors, Dear Esther etc... Basically real time exploration/strategy/mining/sometimes combat type games, so it seemed right up my alley. Admittedly I need to put more time into this game, but I wasn't disappointed in any way. If you enjoy exploring, this game is GREAT!

It really seemed like they had plans for the game to have all these features and had coded some of them but Sony pushed them to launch early after already missing one launch window, so they had to do some retrofitting and remove stuff to get it to work as an entity.

I really enjoyed it at release, it was a game where you could use a bit of roleplay and just pretend you were exploring this galaxy, just like the old games, it got more complicated with the later updates and is looking to be what was supposed to be the launch product with the next update, hence the other platform releases.

They are a small team, nothing like Bungee yet people seem quite willing to forgive them for the Destiny fiasco.

Edited by Mulletino
  • Like 2

They probably shouldn't have teamed up with Sony in that case. If they were running out of money as you say then obviously Sony wasn't actually paying them so I'd have to wonder why they had to work with them at all. Either way, their fault for allowing themselves to get in that position if it was the result of some bad contract.

As for the death threats, obviously not. I highly doubt even a fraction of the majority pissed off with the game were threatening bodily harm to the developers though.

The Sony deal was for marketing the game only, not fund the game-- they did not want to give up creative control. So this got them on the stage at E3 which was huge. But the team was too small and underfunded to really deliver on everything in that time period.

In retrospect it was not the best decision. But creative control was really important to Sean at the time.

The Sony deal was for marketing the game only, not fund the game-- they did not want to give up creative control. So this got them on the stage at E3 which was huge. But the team was too small and underfunded to really deliver on everything in that time period.

In retrospect it was not the best decision. But creative control was really important to Sean at the time.

So they screwed themselves over every which way imaginable then. Great. Doesn't really earn sympathy points though.

Now mind you, I may end up picking up the game myself at some point. Ebgames/Gamestop is currently having it on sale for apparently 14.99 during their current sale. Whether or not I bother with it might end up on whether I actually find a copy on display since apparently based on yesterday at the store I don't care enough about the game to even ask the store clerks if they have any behind the shelf. At 14.99, I'd almost consider it worth the cost. However it's important to note that I've had the chance to buy at that price tag before and left it.

New Xbox cover art found on the NMS website. Two significant things in this image which may hint at new features... first ringed planet. Ringed planets have never been in NMS before. Also the four explorers may hint at more complete multiplayer features

sku-pdp-6.png

They are a small team, nothing like Bungee yet people seem quite willing to forgive them for the Destiny fiasco.

The whole NMS brohuaha was yet another example of how toxic, unfair and hypocrytical the modern groupthink-driven gamers can be. The released game was nowhere near as bad or broken as the hysterical backlash would have it. In fact, it was mostly hated on even before launch, by some anti-Sony folks or the ones who failed to understand what procedural generation entails.

Sure, there was lots of hype - not exactly a first in the gaming history, I suppose. But lots of it was generated from people's assumptions, not the facts. I think some really expected this tiny team to release a GTA/WItcher-level production, both in style/gameplay and money pumped in - only because of the Sony name attached. There was also a lot of dishonest noise - such as the endless harping on about multiplayer, despite the fact that for the last year before launch it was denied by the devs numerous times.

I got it at launch, both because I love procedural games and Elite, which was its spiritual predecessor, and if somebody tells me there's a real-size universe with explorable planets to check out, I'm in. I was not only not disappointed, but quite awed that they managed to pull it off. The sense of freedom and the visuals were quite staggering. As somebody said above here it is also quite old school in its design principles, free-to-explore do-what-you-want, with minimal narrative (the whimsical one in place was actually the low point for me) or other modern cinematic trappings.

It's one of the few games I actually miss playing now (I move a lot and had to get rid of my AAA gaming rig last year)

• Like 2