IGNORED

1050 Floppy drive help please

#1 what do you mean? The atari screen goes black when booting from it?

#2 might be an alignment issue.

#1 has the disk in the drive. (The Nightmare) the computer boots up, the drive reads the disk, displays "Hello.......", then reverts to a black screen. Only key that responds is Reset, which brings me to the blue Ready screen

#2, is there a way to correct this?

#3 has power, the drive light comes on, but does not get read by the computer.

Sorry for the questions, but I'm a complete novice as far as these guys are concerned.

Edited by lokidchser

Do you have any drives that work properly and boot your 800XL completely as it should? That way you can rule out anything unrelated to the drives.

You might try a simple cleaning as a start with alcohol. Do you have a 5 1/4 disk cleaner? That's the easiest way.

-Eric

Do you have any drives that work properly and boot your 800XL completely as it should? That way you can rule out anything unrelated to the drives.

You might try a simple cleaning as a start with alcohol. Do you have a 5 1/4 disk cleaner? That's the easiest way.

-Eric

Unfortunately, everything was recently obtained, including the computer, so no known working drives. also, no 5.25 disk cleaner

ok, have 3 1050 5.25 inch drives. #1 seems to read the disk, but then reverts to a black screen. #2 gives a Boot Error message, and #3 seems to not be recognized by the 800XL. Are any of these issues easily repairable?

#3 could be the ID switches which cause it not to be configured as D1:.

It could also be U1, a CA3086 transistor array which buffers the DATA-IN/DATA-OUT & COMMAND signals. U1 is known to sometimes fail when the SIO cable is unplugged while the drive is powered up.

saw that. I have a Basic cart in the slot. How do I find out it I have Rev A?

If you're using an 800XL, it's likely got Rev B BASIC built in, possible Rev C. Nearly all the brown metal BASIC carts are Rev A.

See, e.g.: https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=How%20to%20find%20the%20revision%20number%20of%20Atari%20Basic

Do you have a simple DOS disk?

If you're using an 800XL, it's likely got Rev B BASIC built in, possible Rev C. Nearly all the brown metal BASIC carts are Rev A.

See, e.g.: https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=How%20to%20find%20the%20revision%20number%20of%20Atari%20Basic

Do you have a simple DOS disk?

unfortunately, no. only have the one game disk. bought it on EBay to test the drives.

OK, update time. got two of the three drives to read disks, (hello.... screen comes up, but then still goes to black screen, assuming its due to the wrong basic). Am i safe in assuming these are in working order now?

As for the third drive, there appears to be heavy corrosion on the board near the back, and on the various connectors. most of the corrosion has been cleaned.. The drive gets power, but the disk will not spin. Assuming this one will be sacraficed for parts, unless anyone has further suggestions.

make sure the two rails are clean and lubed good. I had one drive that would not read and I could not figure out what it was as it looked realy clean inside. Then I cleaned the rails and reoiled them with a q-tip and moved the rail back and forth several times and the drive started working.

the drive motor doesnt spin. (removed belt, and no rotation from the small motor spindle

Can you turn the motor spindle manually? Maybe the motor burned out. Also try removing/reseating all of the connectors that attach to the mainboard from the mech.

Do you have a multimeter? Next test is to see if the motor is receiving 12V. And if the 12V regulator is actually outputting 12V.

Most of the rest of the drive runs of the the 5V side.

Edited by Nezgar

Thanks guys for all the advice and suggestions. Decided, since drive #1 and #2 seem to be reading disks, I would cut my loses and offer up the third drive on EBay for parts. The other two drives will hopefully be tested further when I can obtain a DOS disk.

I have to say, these forums are filled with knowledgeable people, and I appreciate all your help.