IGNORED

IDE Plus 2.0

All you want to do is move some downloaded files from the PC to the Atari?

With SIO2PC-USB, you could use APE or RespeQT and put your files in a PC folder (or as APE calls it, PC Mirror).  Then make that folder an active drive on the APE/RespeQt GUI and do whatever your want with them.  I used to use my BlackBox/Floppy Board to transfer files via disk, but SIO2PC-USB is super-simple.

if you right click on the correct file in the x64 usb driver folder... install will be in the drop down pop up list...

click it, it installs, restart everything and APE/Prosystem will handshake with the AtariMax device... blink blink

and then all will work again... I just did this for someone saying the same things... amazingly it worked, just like that.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/21/2022 at 4:22 PM, Simius said:

You convinced me. :) It's a new revision with the other CPLD I still have a few dozen.

Seriously - I had to design a new version for my own needs because one of the Atarians made the payment without prior confirmation and I had to send him the last board, my own. And when I ordered it, it's a bit more. 

Typical battery socket (20 mm pin spacing) instead a soldered one can be used, but it's to high and not fit a dedicated case.

IDE+2.jpg

IDE+2_top.jpg

I would purchase at least one. --- The IDE+ v2.0 has been one of the most versatile and fun components that I have bought since getting back into Atari.

I would greatly appreciate a battery I could replace without a soldering iron because I am worthless when it comes to soldering.

I don't really have a preference for IDE vs CF --- just that IDE to CF adapters exists, but CF to IDE adapters do not (that I can find anyways.) Also there is no way that I know of to have a slave CF like you can IDE.

https://www.amazon.com/cf-ide-adapter/s?k=cf+to+ide+adapter

At one point I thought it difficult to move the CF card between the atari and the PC --- but I eventually bought a usb CF card reader and got over that. It isn't the method I use anymore to transfer to the IDE+ .... as it turns out the SysCheck card I bought from tf_hh somehow allows me to greatly increase my SIO speeds without any other modifications to my 800XLs. I found that its fast enough for me to push files over a SIO2USB homemade cable and this way I don't have to monkey around with FAT drivers/partitions/etc.

I've said it before but when used with the SysCheck you get a RAM upgrade, OS switcher, and fast SIO without modifications to the Atari --- you add the IDE+ and you get IDE, RTC, SpartaDOSX.... only thing that comes close is the External U1MB that candle is working on but it still isn't production yet.

(Perhaps a collaboration with @tf_hh two marry up these two devices (or some smart 3D printer guy could manufacture a case for the two.)

--- Anyways --- 

I've expressed enough praise throughout this forum for this/these device(s) already.

Put me down for a new one please if you make more.

Thanks.

14 minutes ago, MrFSL said:

I don't really have a preference for IDE vs CF --- just that IDE to CF adapters exists, but CF to IDE adapters do not (that I can find anyways.) Also there is no way that I know of to have a slave CF like you can IDE.

https://www.amazon.com/cf-ide-adapter/s?k=cf+to+ide+adapter

Actually, that's a pretty great point.  They make IDE to SD adapters too.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ide+to+sd+adapter

Lately, I've been struggling with the SD vs. CF struggle since I personally prefer CF cards (bigger size, not as easy to drop and harder to lose) but many new devices are SD only.  I'd personally like to just have one format or the other.

This would let people choose their path.

• 1 month later...

I don't find any SD3x issue to fix on my own board. There is no reason whatsoever. The CPLD core of the current version is the same like F/F1 version, directly transferred to the different CPLD family. The reported issue may be an isolated case rater than a core or firmware bug. We will continue to investigate this.

56 minutes ago, Simius said:

I don't find any SD3x issue to fix on my own board. There is no reason whatsoever. The CPLD core of the current version is the same like F/F1 version, directly transferred to the different CPLD family. The reported issue may be an isolated case rater than a core or firmware bug. We will continue to investigate this.

I might be mistaken, it was @bf2k+ I was speaking with.  I'm willing to admit I misunderstood something in that if he could provide clarification.

I already have one of your IDE2+ and I love it, but you can probably understand as my "use case" would be a 3.x environment and not SDX I just wanted to be sure before I order 2-3 more.

On 5/21/2022 at 6:23 PM, Tillek said:

I might be mistaken, it was @bf2k+ I was speaking with.  I'm willing to admit I misunderstood something in that if he could provide clarification.

I already have one of your IDE2+ and I love it, but you can probably understand as my "use case" would be a 3.x environment and not SDX I just wanted to be sure before I order 2-3 more.

Actually it was my mistake in not knowing about the IDE2 Plus BIOS menu where you set the boot device.  Mine was set to the default value of D3: and my partition #3 would never have booted because it was a 512 bps partition.  I was copying a bootable SD3 disk to D1: and trying to boot it.  Once I re-partitioned the 3rd partition to 256 bps, and copied D1: D3:, it booted perfectly (and pretty fast too.)

My bad (although some docs might have been helpful...) :)

• Like 1

On 5/21/2022 at 2:10 PM, Simius said:

The IDE+2 is available on order. Lead time up to 7 days. 

IDE+2_Rev.H.jpg

This new iteration seems to plug into an 800 xl, if I am correct, unlike previous versions that were 130xe and like computers only. Will there be an adapter that we can buy to plug into a  130xe ? Also what will be the final price. Sorry if the answer is in the replies, I promise I did look. Thanks again

21 minutes ago, IndusGT said:

Will there be an adapter that we can buy to plug into a  130xe ?

There have been ECI2PBI adapters available at different times, I have 1 from ICD and also 1 by @MEtalGuy66.

@Dropcheck has another listed on her website, but it's out of stock.

https://www.bitsofthepast.com/?product=130xe-ra-extenders-switchers

1 hour ago, IndusGT said:

Will there be an adapter that we can buy to plug into a  130xe ? Also what will be the final price.

It comes with such PBI-ECI adapter. Current price is PLN330 (+shipping). It's about $78.

ECI-PBI Adapter.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BillC said:

There have been ECI2PBI adapters available at different times, I have 1 from ICD and also 1 by @MEtalGuy66.

@Dropcheck has another listed on her website, but it's out of stock.

https://www.bitsofthepast.com/?product=130xe-ra-extenders-switchers

Did the ICD adapter work with the IDE+2?  My Rev d will not boot using the ICD adapter.  The ICD does not carry enough lines to the PBI interface side.  It's sort of moot, since Simius is including his XE adapters, but the only other adapter that I've found that works is the Freezer adapter.  It works with everything that I've tried. 

7 hours ago, Larry said:

Did the ICD adapter work with the IDE+2?  My Rev d will not boot using the ICD adapter.  The ICD does not carry enough lines to the PBI interface side.  It's sort of moot, since Simius is including his XE adapters, but the only other adapter that I've found that works is the Freezer adapter.  It works with everything that I've tried. 

I was recently using the IDE2+ (the last revision before this I believe but I don't remember which "letter" that was) and was using it with the ICD adapter on the 130xe with both cart slots in use (one by Basic XE and the other with an old R-Time 8 for a BBS).

OK, this (ICD adapter) gets more interesting...

I have two Rev d interfaces, and I tried them both.  Both fail to boot when using the ICD adapter + a short 50-pin ribbon cable that I normally use for my XL's.  (I'm using a stock 130XE for these tests.) The 50-pin cable boots perfectly using several XL's.  If I stand the IDE+2 on end and directly connect the interface to the ICD adapter, it boots fine.  There must be some difference between the method of connection (direct connect vs ribbon cable).  And if I connect the ribbon cable to the Freezer XE->XL adapter, the IDE+2 boots perfectly.

The additional length of the cable may be adding just enough resistance/impedance/capacitance to throw things off for the IDE+. A scope might show where it's gone wrong in terms of levels and timing. You would need to look at and compare/contrast the working levels of the shortest path method (readings on the bus connector of the machine and at the IDE+) vs the long path with cable (same deal on main Atari pcb at the pbi bus and IDE+) to know for certain.

If it's just level issues then the drive circuit needs improvement (Atari/IDE+, or both)

If it's timing/slew/skew then it's 74F (timing) or HCT(drive and timing) time for the Atari or refinement of IDE+

further more, it might require a better PIA or CPU chip to get the gremlins out. The chips might be perfect in Another Atari though as all of these considerations are moving parts so to speak and are a culmination of the sums of all the parts involved.

Of course you can just try the suggestion and skip the forensics to get things working as that's what most folks do these days, but the forensic route might help make a permanent definitive result for the the device combinations...

***** wish that adapter had a cart slot squeezed into it some where !

Edited by _The Doctor__

Just one question: Where is the IDE plug/connector???

I have 2 of the "F1" type but would like to find out what is on the "real hard drives" from my BBS back in the 80's.

Maybe rename this unit to CL2 plus  would be better then pep's would not think they where getting something they are not...

Still love the F1I have and use it most of the time...

Peter

13 hours ago, Peter Rabitt said:

Just one question: Where is the IDE plug/connector???

image.thumb.png.c47c73c482676d39fc5f16d9f40c7df0.png

image.png.fc79af5b43ea7dd6f03590916fe8f3f2.png

image.thumb.png.a0b777fa5455b3b098cf21b2c17e82db.png

image.thumb.png.e57aac3f014f59c2d260494606371578.png

==========================

So... the answer is, the IDE connector is there... its just not your preferred connector.

Of course I am being pedantic. I think canonical thought links IDE to 40 or 44 pin cabling for HDD and I believe the earlier versions of this IDE+ used this. The advantages of the CF interface (as I see it) are size, power, availability, portability, etc. The disadvantages are that, while you can find IDE to CF connectors everywhere for practically no money - I don't think anyone ever made a CF to IDE connector. I am not even sure if you could source a cable ribbon end for that small CF pins.