IGNORED

Nintendo Network Info Released - Also NO Virtual Console

Tanooki

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/05/nintendo_switch_online_finally_revealed_cloud_saves_nes_games_and_pricing_confirmed

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/05/the_virtual_console_isnt_coming_to_switch_nintendo_confirms

Top one has the breakdown, pretty cheap, good features, and a nice host of networked on/offline play NES stuff. Interestingly adding a cheap family package for up to 8 logins to use on one account for a low price ($35 vs $20 for one person a year.)

Cloud data too finally so you don't lose your saves and stuff. It'll be here in September 2018.

Virtual Console is iced- YAY! :D Good riddance.

You know I like it, and the NES stuff is just a nice perk too. The pricing is beyond fair at whatever tier. I know it's not popular around here, but good riddance to the virtual console. If a company wants to put out a game, let them do it on their own terms as Hamster/ACA does with a few entities. Let them collect and manage it. Nintendo clearly will do the same with their own stuff as they see fit. One less reason to feel compelled to buy the same game yet again after the Wii, WiiU and 3DS. Nintendo caught hell and comments late into the Wii's life and on the other systems ever since by angry entitled fanboys bitching their game didn't come out, or instead of having 5 games a week out it was like 2 games a month, never happy.

I wonder if there's a way to make sure the 8 members in the family pack all live in the same house.

I'd gladly foot the bill for 8 members of my literal family to game together

If I were Nintendo, and someone was hung up about the $20/year asking price, I'd want to lower their barrier to entry as much as possible. Like any good drug dealer. I'm sure we'll see "families" spring up all over the place so folks can save a few shekels. I'd read the fine print though. Amazon made credit card info available to everyone in the same "household," and Nintendo might poison things in a similar way.

No need to call it a "virtual console" anymore since people understand the concept of playing old games on new hardware nowadays. It doesn't matter what they call it so long as they still do it. Though if they decided to let us play prior Wii/Wii U/3DS purchases on Switch, I wouldn't say no.

They sure gave us a lot of notice for this. It's not available until September.

When I used the Virtual Console (on the Wii) I only purchased a couple of games....mostly to see if they were better than what I had been emulating for years and playing on original hardware. Ehhh...I just feel like I have been playing all of these old games forever...and probably because I have. I understand people's desires to play the old games on a new system, but I really could care less. Bring on new content...and lets make new memories ;)

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 3

I agree flojo, lot's of time for people to stew on it and watch for further updates on what's going on or maybe more going into it which is smart. Odds are they may even test drive it in some kind of a closed arena setup, or at least in demo mode, at E3 to debut it proper like. If they're wise they may even do some kind of closed up beta for those who bought Switch between X dates to heat test it for issues.

I wouldn't mind them giving me access to stuff I once had which would be a good solid. Between the dozen Wii games I had, a few on WiiU even, and even the 3DS Ambassador program I had a nice wide choice of interesting goodies. With the Switch being portable that would be a huge draw to me and encourage further support on other titles out of the ACA/Hamster world among others. I keep forgetting to drop a few bucks into my account for Punchout and VS SMB too. :(

I'm with Austin. I don't like SNES etc games enough to buy them over and over. In that sense I prefer these little classic devices since they more or less just stay there and don't go away. Of course, like many here, my classic gaming needs are already well taken care of and any sort of VC like service is just convenience. I think the info released on the online service matches pretty well with what I actually want. I'm not sure how the goodies will shake out in the long term, but it'll be more useful than a library of games I probably won't buy anyhow.

I've felt that way too about the games which is a shame. After they added SNES to the New3DS there have been a few I've wanted to pick up but always make the excuse not to pull the trigger. Due to the pick up and play style of it, little gems like Pilotwings and F-Zero would be fantastic games to take little runs at on there. But as I own the old games and they work fine, and had one or both on Wii already, it's an issue.

• 3 weeks later...

End of an Era? Besides, there's more money to be had on plug and play compilations. I have no idea how much $$$ Nintendo has made off of the NES Classic and the SNES Classic, but I imagine it's probably more than the entire 12 years the Virtual Console has been in business.

Sad but true. Other companies are now licensing 3rd party NES games, the "Licensed by Nintendo" disclaimer on the title screen removed, and cramming them into miniature arcade cabs. These two games were also both on the NES Classic Edition, but now available as standalone arcades for $35 a piece:

DGUNL-3222-Micro-Player_PR1_1024x1024.pn

DGUNL-3220-Micro-Player_PR1_1024x1024.pn

But 1st party titles are still off limits it seems. At least Nintendo are listening to consumer demand and doing something about it with the plug and plays. But is it too little too late? I would love to see a licensed Donkey Kong arcade machine replica, but sadly doesn't look like it's happening any time soon... :sad:

• Like 1

Nintendo even said as far as the NES/SNES CE goes they're extending through the year I read for them being sold as a minimum commitment. I imagine they'll just keep them running as long as the meme of 'it prints money' stands. Given how cheap the boards are and the manufacturing is I would almost wonder if 1/2 the cost is the third party licensing cut. They must be easily making more (NOA and third parties who participate) on those ROMs than the VC did for them like you said. There's some really strong demand for the mini wannabe boxes as they offer just enough any idiot level child mentality consumer won't get confused trying to play with it, set it up, or save a game progress either on it.

DK supposedly since no one can confirm it is tied up in some old contract shenanigans between the coders (farmed out for arcade) and Nintendo to control it which is likely why you haven't seen it emulated.

DK supposedly since no one can confirm it is tied up in some old contract shenanigans between the coders (farmed out for arcade) and Nintendo to control it which is likely why you haven't seen it emulated.

Yeah supposedly they contracted out RadarScope, then reused some of it's code in Donkey Kong, so they don't 100% own the rights. Pity because every multi-arcade machine out there that features Donkey Kong is in fact a non-authorized bootleg. :sad:

I would love to see DK Complete Edition hacked into one of those My Arcade units, complete with red cab and custom artwork... :ahoy:

• Like 1

Now that would be awesome having that very late Nintendo release thrown in tha NOAC cab but it would require the ability to rewrite what is stored in there from the factory which requires some skill and equipment. Might as well use up the 2-4 slots internally those things have. The 2 bridge could be DK/DKJr and the 4 could add DK3 and Mario Bros. That would be amazing.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually you can with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. What you do is have the 2nd player create a mii. Then when the game loads select 2 player online and have the 2nd player select said mii and they game allows them to play with you AND it updates their stats accordingly.

• 3 months later...

Since no one gave the answer to this question and now that the online service is active I will answer my own question.

"So if I purchase a single account. Will I be able to play Mario Kart 8 Deluxe online with my wife on the same system as a second player? Or would I need to do the family plan?"

The answer to the two questions is Yes and No. You can play with a second player account (2 player online) if you buy a single player plan. So that makes the answer to the second question no.

However if they other player wants to play online by themselves or by the "primary" account (on Mario Kart start) then they either need their own single player plan or if you have the family plan you can go to the Nintendo online website and add them to your family plan. At which point they can play.

So if I purchase a single account. Will I be able to play Mario Kart 8 Deluxe online with my wife on the same system as a second player? Or would I need to do the family plan?

Mario Kart 8 allows you to play online with up to one guest so I would think yes. Guest racers are not ranked though.

You'll need to use a tv or set up the tablet in tabletop mode. This is unlike the Wii-u version which allowed player one to use the gamepad while player two used the tv.

Since no one gave the answer to this question and now that the online service is active I will answer my own question.

"So if I purchase a single account. Will I be able to play Mario Kart 8 Deluxe online with my wife on the same system as a second player? Or would I need to do the family plan?"

The answer to the two questions is Yes and No. You can play with a second player account (2 player online) if you buy a single player plan. So that makes the answer to the second question no.

However if they other player wants to play online by themselves or by the "primary" account (on Mario Kart start) then they either need their own single player plan or if you have the family plan you can go to the Nintendo online website and add them to your family plan. At which point they can play.

So this means if you create a Nintendo account on the Switch, and your online sub is tied to your Nintendo account, and your wife has a Nintendo account on the same switch, without a sub, you can play online when you start the game on your profile, but she cannot play online when she starts the game on her profile? If so, that blows... :sad:

Yes.. but if you buy the family plan for a few more bucks you can add up to eight other people.. plus they all have the advantage of cloud saves and the other goodies that come with the account. I know that sounds like overkill when there is only two of you.

I took advantage of that and have created two other alternate accounts just for kicks.

I'm not sure what to think of it and I'm not sure Nintendo adds enough "value" to make the online payment worth it or not. I think they really need to sweeten the pot a little bit. For example, maybe more battle modes for Mario Kart 8, or some other online enabled game. I'm also concerned about other countries where an online fee may be too expensive for them, thus reducing the number of applicants. I suppose the 8 people family plan makes it easier for people to pool their money.

But I just don't picture Nintendo quite having the online presence like, say, sony or Microsoft would.

Edited by Shannon

Yes.. but if you buy the family plan for a few more bucks you can add up to eight other people.. plus they all have the advantage of cloud saves and the other goodies that come with the account. I know that sounds like overkill when there is only two of you.

I took advantage of that and have created two other alternate accounts just for kicks.

I'm not sure what to think of it and I'm not sure Nintendo adds enough "value" to make the online payment worth it or not. I think they really need to sweeten the pot a little bit. For example, maybe more battle modes for Mario Kart 8, or some other online enabled game. I'm also concerned about other countries where an online fee may be too expensive for them, thus reducing the number of applicants. I suppose the 8 people family plan makes it easier for people to pool their money.

But I just don't picture Nintendo quite having the online presence like, say, sony or Microsoft would.

It should archive the whole console for cloud uploads and online play as long as one paid account is linked to it.

Sucks your wife can't play online using her profile. What about local user profiles without a Nintendo Network ID?